Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado 2017 was a blast...

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fantastic fest brothers!  Looks Iike amazing times and amazing food!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @bgebrent, you should definitely try to make it next year.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That may be in order brother.  Looks great.  Might I equally suggest you make Butt Blast next year.  You know it's great because you know how much I Hate NC & Puke.  Yet in person,I've found the heathens to be mostly tolerable with regard to vocabulary and hygiene.  Mostly  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Foghorn said:
    That may be in order brother.  Looks great.  Might I equally suggest you make Butt Blast next year.  You know it's great because you know how much I Hate NC & Puke.  Yet in person,I've found the heathens to be mostly tolerable with regard to vocabulary and hygiene.  Mostly  ;)

I would love to make it to buttblast.  However, I have to be in San Diego for work that day...

A Kentucky guy commenting about vocabulary and hygiene is rich.  I've seen UK play live in a number of NCAA tournament games.  I mingled with big blue nation.  The tattoo to teeth ratio is high in that crowd.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Hotch - where your pics at??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Did anyone make rogan jhost?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Foghorn
    Options
    No, but we had plenty of "heavy air" just the same...

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    No. We saved you a spot, but you didn't show up. Again.

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    No, but we had plenty of "heavy air" just the same...
    Just wait until you get into the leftovers I sent home with you. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @caliking So first up I cold smoked with Pecan, some Bacon and Balsamic Glaze Deviled Eggs. I think everyone enjoyed them.
    (Pic from test Smoke)

They aren't pretty but they tasted great!

Next up was a Naked Margarita Chicken Tenders with a Southwestern Avocado Tequila Ranch Dipping Sauce.

Corn Flake Crusted Honey Bourbon Sriracha Chicken Tenders (Test Cook)

I got side tracked when my long lost cousin David come up from Austin and forgot to get pics of the final cook of Corn Flake Crusted Honey Bourbon Sriracha Chicken Tenders and our Coconut Rum Chocolate Chip Cookies. They both were amazing!!

We have not seen or talked for about 45 years!! His mom, my Aunt, just passed (she was 95!!) and we got re-connected just after. We are eggcited that David will be coming the the Texas Eggfest to help us cook. Salado Eggfest was his first time seeing an Egg and what it can do.

And a few of the Pre Party and Eggfest

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Hotch, great cooks and pics.  Although in that picture with me and the wing trophy, @20stone looks like he has some sort of reflection through his face, reminiscent of something from "The Omen".

We ate so much great food, I had forgotten some of it - like the Samoan (think Girl Scout cookies) Pie at the pre-party.  Shelly made that, right?  And @EggObsessed's homemade (and award winning) salsa and arugula pesto.

Somehow, yesterday as I thought about the weekend, I thought "I did reasonably well on limiting my food intake, given that it was an eggfest weekend and all.  I didn't overdo it to the extent that I usually do."  Now you post these photographic reminders that let me know why my scale didn't agree with my memory...  Thanks, I think.

And it was a pleasure to meet your cousin.  He seems like a stand-up guy.  Were you adopted?   =)

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    I knew you were holding out on us, Hotch!

The chicken tenders were good, but the eggs and the cookies were SOOO good. That Samoan pie was delicious too. 

It was nice chatting with your cousin. Sounds like you'll have him egg-doctrinated soon :)

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Wished we could have been there, if nothing else just to eat the food.  Everything y'all cooked looks so good.  Did the rain hold off for the after party?
    The other half should be ready for Athens...See most of y'all there.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hotch
    Options
    @Austin Egghead We had the After Party back at Pace Park around 6:30 pm.
    Plenty of room and plenty of light. Had the table and chairs along with 4 large eggs. As it poured rain much of the time.
    We had the 4 Eggs rolling and cooking for much of the after party.
    I think this should be the place from now on.

And the pre-pary was great also. Keith's Ace Hardware held it out in front of the store. Plenty of parking and lots of room. In all everything worked out great!!

I must say Cole and the guys from Kieth's Ace Hardware really out did themselves this year!
    I think next year, the Keith's Ace Hardware Salado Eggfest will be even better!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Hotch, great cooks and pics.  Although in that picture with me and the wing trophy, @20stone looks like he has some sort of reflection through his face, reminiscent of something from "The Omen".

We ate so much great food, I had forgotten some of it - like the Samoan (think Girl Scout cookies) Pie at the pre-party.  Shelly made that, right?  And @EggObsessed's homemade (and award winning) salsa and arugula pesto.

Somehow, yesterday as I thought about the weekend, I thought "I did reasonably well on limiting my food intake, given that it was an eggfest weekend and all.  I didn't overdo it to the extent that I usually do."  Now you post these photographic reminders that let me know why my scale didn't agree with my memory...  Thanks, I think.

And it was a pleasure to meet your cousin.  He seems like a stand-up guy.  Were you adopted?   =)
    @Foghorn Thanks. Your Wings were spot on!! @caliking had some great wings also but yours were out of the park!
    And please thank your beer guy for all of those great tasting brews he picked for the Eggfest. Between those and the German beers from my cousin David I was feeling pretty special all weekend long!!!
    And yes Shelly did make the Samoan Pie. It may be a staple from now on.

@caliking Thanks, I really liked the cold smoked Eggs. We may do those often.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    Wished we could have been there, if nothing else just to eat the food.  Everything y'all cooked looks so good.  Did the rain hold off for the after party?
    The other half should be ready for Athens...See most of y'all there.
    See you both in Athens
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    It sure was great seeing everyone and getting to spend some quality time together.  Everyone made such spectacular food!  We'll see some of y'all in Texarkana in two weeks, and hopefully even more of you in Athens!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @Hotch, I'm glad to know that my beer contributed to you "feeling pretty special."  I stopped drinking shy (just barely according to my wife) of when you started to look pretty special.

San Antonio, TX

• keithacehardware
    Options
    I want to sincerely thank everyone who came out to the 2017 Salado EggFest, it was a great turnout and I"m happy everyone had a great time. All of you cooks are the reason it is so enjoyable and you all made my work a lot easier by going with the flow with me this year considering all of the fast changes we had to do. I hope to see you all again in 2018
  • When Do We Eat
    Options
    I'll be there for sure in 2018. It's my favorite Eggfest! Hoping to see the Spring Chicken and the Spring Hen there-- we missed them!
  • Hotch
    Options
    @Foghorn Carry on...
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    My my my, everything looks incredible. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I'll be there for sure in 2018. It's my favorite Eggfest! Hoping to see the Spring Chicken and the Spring Hen there-- we missed them!
    Yes, we did miss @Spring Chicken and @Spring Hen.

On another note, my good fortune since winning the wing cookoff has continued.  Yesterday I won a Texas Hold'em tournament at the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.

I didn't realize I could bring someone fame and fortune just by skipping an Eggfest.  Hummmmm... I need to think about that some...

Spring "Missed By This Much" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Foghorn
    Options
    No.  I don't think the two are connected.  That's why I wrote "On another note..."

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • When Do We Eat
    When Do We Eat Posts: 15
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hey @sancho65and @Foghorn-- if I didn't say so already it was great to be cooking with you two on either side. Enjoyed being able to check out what you were doing and to chit-chat a bit.