Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Meteorite - & lessons learned (long & Pic Heavy)

Options
da87
da87 Posts: 640
A big thank you to @YukonRon (who answered email questions throughout the cook while also helping his sick daughter) and @lousubcap.  All of the successful aspects of the cook belong to them, I own pulling off the egg at the wrong point.  Flavor profile was great but the flat was drier than I like - not at all like the briskets on Franklin's videos.  Point is amazing though.  I think my modification to @YukonRon's injection worked well there.  Sorry for so many details, but I learned a lot from my first effort, those learnings listed below.  Happy Monday!

Sides my wonderful (and patient) wife made were outstanding - simple vinegar based blue cheese slaw and cheddar jalapeno corn bread from scratch:

Lessons Learned:
1. The people on this forum are amazing, and just want to help you have a great cook.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I read many posts, including a memorial day Brisket thread that was great background,  Appreciation to all that post their process, results, and mistakes!
2. Next time I'll make the drive to find a Costco Prime - I cooked a local butcher's choice and from all I see on the forum Prime makes a big difference in cooking time and outcome
3. Make sides you know are great, just in case the cow isn't, same with wine and drinks!
4. My type A style, while very helpful to my career, continues to get in the way of great L&S cooks as I can't seem to hit the finish spot on.  Corollary to this:  the cow drives the cook, not me!  The packer was 11.5lb trimmed and ran 19 hours before I felt it "hopefully" probed like butter...after boosting temp to push to finish and having the temp run away for 15 - 30 min.  Three errors - loss of patience on cook, loss of patience on BPTC (about 45 min after 20 min of resting) and over pushing temp = quickly drying brisket.
5. I think I need to visit a local egger with brisket experience - not to invite myself to dinner, but to feel the final probe tests when an experienced egger is ready to pull off the heat.  Please keep me in mind those of you in SE PA, So Jersey, No DE, etc!
6. Despite the slightly disappointing finish, I had an absolute blast doing this cook!
7. Next time I will fully prepare before embarking on the brisket journey and make sure I have all needed things on hand.  I made several improvisations off of @YukonRon's last post, some worked, some not so much.  Improvised injection worked well, mix of apple chunks (only chunk I had left) and hickory chips layered in with the lump placement only gave a soft, understated smoke profile
8. Looking forward to brisket chili, tacos, and maybe burnt ends (depends on when the blizzard of 2018 starts, nothing but weather on the news already...).  Those should easily cover the dryness and maximize the great flavor
9. Like getting to Carnegie Hall, I need to practice, practice, practice - next time with an earlier start to build in a large window for the cow to drive the cook.
10. More brown liquor for me - to tame my type A tendencies  ;)

My improvisation to @YukonRon's injection as I couldn't find garlic juice or onion juice the day I was cooking:
1. "Sweat" finely chopped inions in butter over low heat until totally transparent and then begin to carmelize
2. Add garlic paste at the end of the onions to bring in that flavor
3. Add garlic/onion mix to the fresh beef broth slowly, stopping to test, in search of @YukonRon's 50%/25%/25% flavor profile
4. Let sit for several hours to fully incorporate
5. Strain so the onion bits won't clog the injection needle

Some of the remaining injection, post straining

My improvised smoking wood approach - it was OK but next time I'll plan further ahead and have other options on hand..  I liked the consistent smoke this fire build created, just would replace the apple.

Doug
Wayne, PA
LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    It looks really good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I see a warranty claim in your future!  Thanks for sharing!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• da87
    Options
    Thank you for the positive feedback @Brisket_Fanatic!

Good eyes @The_Stache!  Ring split in two after my last pizza, requested and received the replacement but holding it as the broken one still works fine.  Guess I'm hoarding new Egg parts!  Cheers
    Doug
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    That result looks great.  Congrats on such a successful cook right out of the gate.  Great write-up as well.  
    And regarding the proverbial "feel"; someone here astutely recognized that you can use the point feel to get a sense of what you are looking for in the flat.  When closing in on the finish-line, the point with its high fat content will provide the "feel" before the flat releases.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Dude, if that's your first brisket, you are about 5 briskets ahead of me - and dozens of briskets ahead of the average person who doesn't have this forum for support.

I'd venture that is some of the better brisket produced that day in your part of the country. 

@DMW, might be able to help you inyour area.  I've heard he's a pretty good guy - although the sources are questionable just because anybody who attend's @nolaegghead's brisket camp is not to be trusted.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Beautiful cook and great post. You are a pro. glad it turned out for you, it looked really, really fine, plated picture was awesome. over cooked parts make great nachos, and chili. Great 1st cook of the brisket!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Atta Boy! Very nice.... :)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • da87
    Options
     @YukonRon and @lousubcap, as I said above - any success on this first brisket is yours.  Talk about willing and helpful hand holding!  Your experience and insight are invaluable and your kind words about the cook are truly appreciated and valued.  Done gushing now! 

Have to go buy the ingredients for chili and tacos before the forecast BLIZZARD OF 2017!!! hits - every channel and the supermarkets in mass hysteria!  We have lots of good scotch, bourbon, and wine, leftover brisket, wood for the fireplace, a "no power needed" cooking option (and 2/3 of a bag or Rockwood), and two big dogs that are happy to hang close - I think we've got everything needed to happily survive!  Stay safe and warm all!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @da87 - You are definitely in the snow line of fire.  I was scheduled to fly to BWI tomorrow AM.  Southwest cancelled the flight last night-clearly this one has been tracking for a while.  Stay safe and here's to maintaining the electricity.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Great looking spread there brother.  I would say you nailed it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• da87
    Options
    Thank you @Skiddymarker, means a lot coming from the veterans (if almost 8,000 posts doesn't make you an Egg veteran I'll never get there!).  Our son is in Whistler right now, that and Vancouver favorite spots of mine, you close to either?   Not sure he's getting back to NY tomorrow though! 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Everything I know about Brisket came from this forum and from @lousubcap.
    Whatever he says is gospel as far as I am concerned.
    Stay warm and safe, Chili will be an eggcelent cook for this weather. I also freeze it in spaghetti sauce and use it when I backpack with some boilable noodles. Cold night's meal with an awesome ending before shutting down.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Does not look good for your boy to get home tomorrow, I noticed the Cathay Pacific, 22:50 departure today to JFK has been cancelled. Nothing is showing up for tomorrow. 
    Depends on his route I suppose. 
    My kids grew up at Whistler, we skiied pretty much every weekend. About a 2 hour drive home to parking lot. Spoiled them for most other ski resorts. My Dad lived in Kingston ON, skiied at Killington VT. First time my boys saw it they were surprised how small and crowded it was, but they did like the glade skiing, the trees with no leaves are a lot easier to pick your way thru than the darn evergreens with "will kill you" tree wells under them. Been a great year for snow at Whistler, hope he had a good time. 
    Greater Vancouver is about 20 some cities, all packed next to each other. Delta, population of about 110,000 is about 30-40 minutes from Vancouver proper, on the south side of the Fraser River.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • da87
    Options
    Beautiful part of the world!  My kids grew up as snowboard instructors at Okemo, just down the toad from Killington.  If you can ski/ride east coast ice and crowds you can ski/ride anywhere!  But now that they've been to "real" mountains VT just isn't the same...  He called me on Friday from the gondola - said that several of the locals he'd met took him to parts of the mountain that you can only ride years like this - spots they hadn't been to for 4 or 5 years.  He and his girlfriend are having a blast - and rough that he might get "stuck" for an extra day at Whistler or in Vancouver...
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• da87
    Options
    Back to the brisket!   Sammy for lunch.  Leftover, but already sliced, brisket warmed in a small skillet.  Tossed in some of the injection liquid I had left to get some added moisture, some cheddar, just because, and pepper rings. 

Doug
    Wayne, PA

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like the idea of adding cheddar "just because". Looks like my leftover sandwich, sour dough is our favourite. In lieu of banana peppers I like sliced pepperoncini or a good giardiniera with some zip. 
    Re- the skiing/riding, much of the back bowl stuff is "available" this year due to the snow cover. Bagel bowl and many of the blacks to Creekside (Dusty's, Big Timber etc...) first time in years. On Blackcomb, the big bowls, Oboe, Harmony, the glacier via Spanky's offered some once in lifetime experience. And with your dollar at $1.35CDN - can't beat the value. Our favourite of late has been Sun Peaks north of Kamloops, dry snow and great runs.

Too bad they missed the rugby sevens on at BC place this weekend, it was a great party, the city is a touch hung-over this morning. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Da87, good looking cook! Good job for your first try at brisket. You can always count on the good folks on here for tips. I know I learned a lot from being on here.
    I'm sure Ron already suggested getting some pecan for your next brisket. That and oak are what I use for mine. 
    Judging when to pull is my weak point as well. Especially when the brisky has a thin flat. The wife and I both prefer the point so its really a non issue. If it gets a little overdone I just cut it off as I start slicing, and it then gets used in breakfast burritos. You can always vac seal and refreeze for quick dinners during the week.
    Your post reminds me I need to do another, as I no longer have any leftovers in the freezer.
    Keep at it, the mistakes are still good eats!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • da87
    Options
    Thank you @pescadorzih!  Already ordered pecan and oak from Firecraft since I was ordering Rockwood anyway. Great insight on the cutting - I think we would have been really happy if I had sliced our first dinner from the middle
    of the flat plus some point. I never realized that briskets are the gift that just keeps giving - brisket tacos tonight with more blue cheese slaw!  (Plastic container is just what my wonderful wife mixed the slaw in, we had leftover shredded cabbage, etc from Sunday)

Doug
    Wayne, PA

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @da87 If you have any left, try brisket hash with eggs and cheese on top.  Killer breakfast...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • da87
    Options
    I LOVE real NY corned need hash, will
    definitely give brisket hash a try. Thanks for the great suggestion @RedSkip!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Doug, that's some amazing results for your first brisket. My first few were...yeah, let's just leave it at that.

I'm far from a brisket master, but have egged a few. You'd be more than welcome to share a brew (or few) and observe brisket at my place sometime. I'm only about 30-40 minutes away.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice cook and great post @da87. Looks good to me! I only wish my first brisket would have turned out like that. Keep at it and they only get better. Don't be discouraged by a stumble along the way (if one should happen).
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • da87
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words @minniemoh@DMW, I appreciate the very kind offer - let me know next time you're putting one on.  I'll bring the beer!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Wow, that is a great looking meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va