Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone else go to EggFest in St Johns, Fl?(long)

Options
This was the first my wife and I have gone to, and ,imho, we were a little underwhelmed .
 There were around 20 booths/canopies  cooking on 30 or so Eggs.
 There was a FlameBoss sponsored tent, and I did meet the man behind nibblemethis.com , and thanked him for the turtle eggs recipe I tried last weekend. He also had a reverse Cuban , which was a hollowed out pickle stuffed with ham,cheese,pork. It was very good. There was a booth with pulled pork sliders that was great, my wife bought a bottle of their sauce.
 I didn't sample the pizza , or breads that were out there and one place had nothing laid out but a line of people standing there waiting, hope it was good.
 Most of the cooks were too busy, in the time I was there, to just BS, though most would take the time to answer a quick question concerning the cook they were doing.
 The location left a lot to be desired, in the parking lot of the Host Pinch-a-Penny. If you didn't want to get hit by a car , we had to stand in the mix of canopies, which got a bit crowded. And there were people just driving through to see what was happening. With no seats or tables to get comfortable.
 I am in no way knocking it as it was for a great cause, I guess with all the big talk surrounding the big green egg I was expecting something BIG.
  Was hoping the cooks had a recipe card with their cooks on it that you could get, as there were some interesting and tasty cooking there.
 And there were several announcements for getting your raffle tickets but heard nothing on when the drawings were.
 We stayed a little over two hours , and left because we got tired of standing and had sample most of the cooks at least once.
 I went prepared for a day long event with some discussion and tips and knowledge passed around. Guess I built it up in my mind to expect more.

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My wife and I were the from 10:00 - 1:00 before she got tired of everything. Something she ate did't sit well with her - she isn't into spicy stuff.

That reverse cuban was delicious. I need to get the recipe and try it.

I haven't heard the results of the raffle so maybe I will still wind the MIniMax.

I boughtt a couple bottles of rub and got a chance to meet some of the people from the forum: @Carlyn2828, @MaC122, and @np@NPHuskerFL plus the people from FlameBoss and SmokeWare.

@MaC122 took lots of pictures and video so watch for him to post them.

Afterwards I went to Ace and got a bag of RockWood. I like it better than the FOG or BGE that were on sale at the event.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Sorry that you had expectations that were not met. It sounds like a nice fest to me, for their first one. The 2nd year is usually better, if they learned anything from the first one. I would suggest you attend an established Eggfest, and I'm sure it will meet your eggspectations. North Georgia Fest in May is one I can highly recommend. Sunshine State Eggfest is pretty well established by now, April 29th in Cape Canaveral, FL.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Sounds like you need to go to the Eggtoberfest at Stone Mountain, GA 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Glad to hear they made the reverse cuban. I wonder who made that up? =) Good people in that nibblemethis group 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    My wife and I were the from 10:00 - 1:00 before she got tired of everything. Something she ate did't sit well with her - she isn't into spicy stuff.

I haven't heard the results of the raffle so maybe I will still wind the MIniMax.

I boughtt a couple bottles of rub and got a chance to meet some of the people from the forum: @Carlyn2828, @MaC122, and @np@NPHuskerFL plus the people from FlameBoss and SmokeWare.

Afterwards I went to Ace and got a bag of RockWood. I like it better than the FOG or BGE that were on sale at the event.

@SaintJohnsEgger

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1177282/cuban-sandwich-stuffed-pickles/p1

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    Sounds like you need to go to the Eggtoberfest at Stone Mountain, GA 
    We are planning to go next month to Homasassa (sp.?), 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Glad to hear they made the reverse cuban. I wonder who made that up? =)
    It's not something I would make for just a weekend at home, but for a reunion or big gathering I would put the effort into it.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Glad to hear they made the reverse cuban. I wonder who made that up? =)
    It's not something I would make for just a weekend at home, but for a reunion or big gathering I would put the effort into it.
    Thanks PoppasGrill. I just might know someone who created those. ;)  Nibblemethis is a good group of eggers. Glad to see people are making them and enjoying them. Definitely a little time consuming but fun seeing people's reactions when taking their first bite

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    With regard to the OP, after spending yesterday at a different fest (Salado), it seems to me that the challenge to having a great fest is finding the right balance between the venue, the number of cooks, and the number of guests. Providing good support for the cooks can be an important part of the equation. 

I've never made up recipe cards, but if a fest organizer asked me to email the recipe so they could print up some cards, I'd gladly do it and pass out the cards at the fest. 

Of course, my recipes would fit on a business card. Some eggfest recipes are 3 pages long. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    edited March 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:

@SaintJohnsEgger

Thanks @WeberWho

If its okay I would like to PM you for some more details.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:

@SaintJohnsEgger

Thanks @WeberWho

If its okay I would like to PM you for some more details.

Anytime!

Minnesota
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Sorry that you had expectations that were not met. It sounds like a nice fest to me, for their first one. The 2nd year is usually better, if they learned anything from the first one. I would suggest you attend an established Eggfest, and I'm sure it will meet your eggspectations. North Georgia Fest in May is one I can highly recommend. Sunshine State Eggfest is pretty well established by now, April 29th in Cape Canaveral, FL.
    This was their first Eggfest, so I'm sure lessons were learned.  As @Florida Grillin Girl said, you absolutely should attend the Sunshine State Eggfest on April 29th.  I went last year and it was great - I actually enjoyed more than Eggtoberfest at Stone Mountain.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL