Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's not Saturday, but what the heck...

JacksDad
JacksDad Posts: 538

So now used my amaz-n-smoker twice now, and looking to buy more pellets from their website for various flavors.

Anybody use the pellets in lieu of real wood chunks in the egg? Can I just load the egg up with Rockwood, sprinkle some pellets around, and light it up? I mean, obviously I can, but are they too small or burn too fast to provide much smoke? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I went thru a period of time years ago using those pellets which I put in one of those metal pans with cover sold in to make smoke in a gas grill. Eventually the pan rusted out and I never replaced it and quit using them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Just looking to cut down on all the ancillary stuff I have around the egg, bags of lump, bags of wood chunks, now bags of pellets...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• I also have a few varieties of their pellets. Kinda nice for fast cooks, burgers, steaks, etc. I just toss a handful on the lump.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have thrown them on lump for some cooks for extra hit of smoke
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    JacksDad said:

Anybody use the pellets in lieu of real wood chunks in the egg? Can I just load the egg up with Rockwood, sprinkle some pellets around, and light it up? I mean, obviously I can, but are they too small or burn too fast to provide much smoke? 

I use wood chunks on my Egg for smoke. I have an AMNPS, but I use it strictly for cold smoking. 

This said, I can't see a downside to adding pellets as you go on a hot cook.  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS