Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new prep table w/storage next to my Egg

DynaGlide
DynaGlide Posts: 54
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
When I started researching tables vs nests a while back in anticipation of buying my first Egg I knew I'd need a place to set hot items, food, etc and it would be nice to be able to do a little prep there as well. For my Weber kettle which I keep down on the patio it's not an issue. Just set the hot stuff on the brick patio or any number of metal patio furniture side tables I have down there. I use a deck box for accessory and charcoal storage.

I decided I didn't want a table at least for now and when I do get one I want it to be stainless (big $$$). I stumbled upon this Keter Outdoor Entertainment Station (also called a Unity XL) on another BBQ forum:

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Extra-Large-Outdoor-Entertainment-Storage/dp/B01HJATY32

The reviews are mixed. People say it arrived broken after several attempts, poorly packaged, you name it. Apparently Sam's Club carries it for $170 but it isn't available online or any store in 3 states I checked. Amazon wants anywhere from $203-240 depending on when you check ($223 currently). I was Interneting last week and saw Wayfair Supply had it listed for $163, free shipping, no sales tax so I bit. It arrived today, box completely undamaged, all parts included (minus instructions). I just got finished putting it together and I'm really impressed. I thought it'd be simple snap together pieces but they went so far as to bolt the thing together at 8 locations on the sides. The stainless top even has cross bars running underneath for reinforcement. I wasn't expecting it to be this nice based on past experiences with plastic outdoor items. Here are some pics I took:

Lockable storage underneath (could easily be defeated):

I will store some lump in tupperware here and spare eggcessories. Also has space between stainless top and bottom to store items like your plate setter if you have one, extra grids, plates.

Spice rack and towel holder:

Grill tool and towel holder hooks:

It even includes a bottle opener:

I'm keeping it covered with a $10 grill cover I picked up at Home Depot for now. It's tight so I'll probably have to make something custom in the future:

It's raining here today I can update once I get some use out of it.

2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited September 2016
    I bought one Sam's for 149 earlier this year but went in this weekend and they had them for 79. I guess they are clearing themy out. I'm in denver.
    We like ours. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks good.  They have these at Samsclub as well.  I really don't need it or have space for it but I am keeping an eye out to see if they discount them.  I think they are $180.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BilZol said:
    I bought one Sam's for 149 earlier this year but went in this weekend and they had them for 79. I guess they are clearing themy out. I'm in denver.
    We like ours. 

That's a steal. I wouldn't have hesitated at either price. I'll tell my brother in law to pick one up, he's out there.
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• BilZol
    edited September 2016
    DynaGlide said:
    BilZol said:
    We like ours. 

That's a steal. I wouldn't have hesitated at either price. I'll tell my brother in law to pick one up, he's out there.

They have them at the one at Southlands 
    and off Abaline as of Monday. Good time of year here, everyone prepping for winter. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    @DynaGlide, OT: Tell him to not get tempted at getting the Vision lump they have, it's confetti. I had to bring two bags back. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • @BilZol Don't worry he isn't an Egger. I just bought him a WSM this summer he's new to BBQ'ing.

• $228 on Wayfair today.....

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • BilZol
    edited September 2016
    DynaGlide said:
    @BilZol Don't worry he isn't an Egger. I just bought him a WSM this summer he's new to BBQ'ing.

Well, you did say brother in law.......  =)
    Just kidding. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • I saw these today at Sam's, @DynaGlide or @BilZol or anyone else  who got them last year have updated opinions? I'm thinking of using it as a table for the Mini-Max.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• misterg
    misterg Posts: 1
     Where did you get the cover for your prep table?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Nice foot
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DynaGlide
    DynaGlide Posts: 54
    edited July 2017
    @Hokie_Smoker

Sorry i just saw this. I no longer cover the table and rain doesn't seem to affect it or get into the compartments under it. The top is all dented from placing my adjustable rig stack on top repeatedly. It doesn't bother me. I knew for the price it would happen. The table is great for holding hot items as they come off the egg, including 700 degree grates. If i lost mine today I'd buy another. I can't do without it.

I have the tools and knowledge to build a BGE table but i like this Keter next to the egg in a nest much better.