Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ review by Baby Back Maniac

Options
2»

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
     I certainly don't need a 6 year old raising the top of a hot grill. 
    Did you see where that put the kids face? Directly in the flashback zone. Of course I believe the point was that the hinge works so well with the weight that a 6 year old can lift it with one hand. But yeah,not a good idea.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
     I certainly don't need a 6 year old raising the top of a hot grill. 
    Did you see where that put the kids face? Directly in the flashback zone. Of course I believe the point was that the hinge works so well with the weight that a 6 year old can lift it with one hand. But yeah,not a good idea.
    Teach kids to not touch **** their not supposed to.  Life lesson and a grill.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options

Teach kids to not touch **** their not supposed to.  Life lesson and a grill.
    Depends on the kid. One of my brothers apparently believed being told not to touch something was a dare. =)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get the Weber before another egg or KJ. They don't crack, 25 year warranty is as good as life to me, and they aren't a silly green or red color. I'm really gonna push for one soon probably gonna cost me the XL and mini max. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I've got two green eggs with lifetime warranties. Doesn't matter to me what anybody else is doing. I'm a lifer. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    What happens when everyone who wants an egg has one?  How will BGE stay in business and support our warranty?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    blind99 said:
    So what's the price on this new thing? $1200 new? doesnt seem like a great value anymore. 

I really like  the divide and conquer system. All the other features are nice but not game changing. I certainly don't need a 6 year old raising the top of a hot grill. 
    So KJ includes the extras and with BGE you have to purchase them as add on extras.
    KJ has a safty latch to stop you 6 year old from just lifting the lid.
    I'm having trouble seeing your points.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    blind99 said:
    So what's the price on this new thing? $1200 new? doesnt seem like a great value anymore. 

I really like  the divide and conquer system. All the other features are nice but not game changing. I certainly don't need a 6 year old raising the top of a hot grill. 
    So KJ includes the extras and with BGE you have to purchase them as add on extras.
    It's not a "safety" latch. With the new gaskets (which are kinda squishy) and the airlift hinge the latch is to lock the dome in place to ensure a tight seal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    blind99 said:

It's not a "safety" latch. With the new gaskets (which are kinda squishy) and the airlift hinge the latch is to lock the dome in place to ensure a tight seal.
    Would it also stop a 6 year old from from walkng up and just lifting the handle?
    To me, that would be a safety feature even if KJ is not calling it by name.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm pretty much cooker agnostic. I enjoy all types of cookers.

I really must say KJ is definitely coming on strong. If I needed another ceramic style cooker I would seriously consider it.

As they say a rising tide raises all boats.
    I bet BGE will soon bring innovation to their product line. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I want a Karubeque
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I want a Karubeque
    I want a Meadow Creek TS250
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    blind99 said:

Would it also stop a 6 year old from from walkng up and just lifting the handle?
    Well the six year old in the video knew to release the latch before lifting but I'm guessing that not only is she super strong she is also super smart.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    Photo Egg said:
    blind99 said:

And @blasting this is not marked OT that I can see with my blurry bourbon eyes. 

I see what you're doing here, lol
    Phoenix 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Divide and conquer is good, I bought a half circle kiln shelf that fits the XL perfectly for 25 quid and does that job. Everything else just looks like fluff.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    My divide and conquer is my Large BGE and my Weber Kettle.  Works perfectly together.  Plus I get the extra benefit of lighting 2 fires so that is an extra beer to drink.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I feel like the folks at KJ are taking the ceramic cooking experience to the next level.  Eggheads who got tired of the outdated grid setups, DFMT, bands, gasket, firebox, etc.

And I also feel like, the administrative folks at BGE, don't even use the product.  These KJ innovations have been issues with the BGE, for years!

KJ clearly has their finger on the pulse, while BGE has their finger checking a rectal temp.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Selling an egg at an eggfest is already a difficult sell, which now will get harder and harder.  My heart hurts for the dealers out there who cannot compete.

In my region, all those dealers have switched to KJ.   I think there's one dealer left within 20 miles of me (I live in a densely populated area too).   Why the heck would I buy another BGE when it's likely I will have nobody nearby to warranty it with in 5 years?   For some it's worth the 100 mile drive to get an Egg or get service, but for me I have better things to do with my gas.

[edit:  having trouble with formatting.  Words in bold are mine; not bold are Focker's]
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Cookbook_Chip, you have a point. In the real world, even as BGE owners, we would have conversations about the advantages of a different brand. But it is pretty rude to have conversations such as this on a BGE forum. Not that different than having friends over for a meal and having someone say that brisket tastes better cooked on Kamado Joes than my eggs. 
    @Semolina Pilchard  ... I would suggest that this thread presents a low cost opportunity for BGE to gather real world feedback on what features kamado users believe are important.

Without this forum and discussions like this one, here is a quick outline of what they would have to do to understand their product and how it is doing in the BBQ world.

1) Out of the thousands of egg buyers, they would have to weed out who really uses their BGE enough to have an honest opinion.  And, among those users, who's opinion is important vs. simple BS.  That would be a complicated and expensive process.

2) Then they would have to contact those folks to query them.  E-mail is nice; but cold.  Snail mail; same coldness. Phone interview; better, but still, not the best. Face-to-face interviews; really the best, but very expensive ... 20 good interviews a week in one state is pushing it.

3) Then collate the feedback ... weigh the validity of the input vs the interviewers impression of the owner, sort through for current problems, as well as, recognize new ideas and features desired.

The last project I was involved in took one full year with five full time individuals and about 20 others off-n-on to gather customer data for our next product.

BGE gets more than half the necessary info from a quick read of this forum.  And, item 1 above is completed ...

As long as we are respectful in our discussions, there should be no problems ... after all, it's not like we're discussing our new girlfriend in front of the wife.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    blind99 said:

MAP/MSRP:

classic  $1199/$1299
    big joe  $1899/$1999

so far I have no takers comparing  adjustable rig/woo with kjoe's divide and conquer.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited March 2017
    Options

So, a guy could buy a BGE XL, a complete CGS rig, a Smokeware cap, and a Rutland from Ron and be ahead by about $200-250.

Maybe BGE has some stuff in the works, or maybe this will be the kick in the pants they need.  Or maybe, this will just allow them to raise prices and do nothing.

edit - so my thread got sunk.  I guess they don't view things as jeepster mentioned.

Phoenix 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited March 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

So, a guy could buy a BGE XL, a complete CGS rig, a Smokeware cap, and a Rutland from Ron and be ahead by about $200-250.

Maybe BGE has some stuff in the works, or maybe this will be the kick in the pants they need.  Or maybe, this will just allow them to raise prices and do nothing.

edit - so my thread got sunk.  I guess they don't view things as jeepster mentioned.

That's a good point, they could just keep their head buried in the sand, or ashes as the case may be.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @Lit my dad has the summit grilling center and really likes it. its not as temp stable as eggs are though. if you had one of those blower temp regulators that would solve it, plus theres a built in port for that.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    blasting said:

Once the market settles and all the stores have new stock, we will see what the street price of KJ really hits.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas