Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg only going to 550 degrees

Options
I found mold in my egg recently and am trying to do a screaming hot clean burn, but the egg is only going up to about 550-600 degrees. That's after a full clean, including vacuuming out the ash area and being sure the little holes aren't clogged. I don't know what's going on here... any thoughts?
Southern California

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Take the daisy wheel off, don't just open it all the way.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @DMW The daisy wheel is off. 
    Southern California
  • DMW
    Options
    Hmm is the opening in the firebox lined up with the draft door at the bottom?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Calibrate your thermometer. If you have flames coming out the top you are way over 600. 

Also, are you putting enough charcoal in? Not to make you sound like a dummy, but even ol Sling Blade asked if there was gas in the lawn mower. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bicktrav
    Options
    @DMW Yeah, it is. I can't figure this out.
    Southern California
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

DMW said:
    Hmm is the opening in the firebox lined up with the draft door at the bottom?
    Or this. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bicktrav
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit

I was thinking it might be the thermometer. I don't see any flames coming out of the top though. 

I didn't stack the charcoal like Mt. Everest, but I used a decent amount. Certainly as much as I've used in the past to reach 700+ degrees. But I'll try adding more and see what happens.
    Southern California
  • DMW
    Options
    Just a note, when you add fresh charcoal, temps will drop initially.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Do you have a digital thermometer?

South of Nashville, TN

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    My guess is your airflow at the bottom is restricted. 
  • bicktrav
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit No, using the standard thermometer that came with the egg.
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit Well, problem solved. Not enough lump. It's at 800 now that I've added more. Call me Sling Blade. Thanks for the help everyone. 
    Southern California
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    use a hair dryer or fan or leaf blower aimed at the bottom vent - if that doesn't heat things up, there may be moisture in the lump.  (which is why we store it in dry area)
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @bicktrav it will do it every time. I did quite a few like that starting out. Not enough or wasted a bunch. Sometimes you have to suck it up and burn some cash!

also get a digital thermometer. The one on the Egg is good, but an instant read will be a game changer for you. Also helps with figuring out nonsense like this.  Go get a thermapen. Thank me and everyone else later. 

South of Nashville, TN

• bicktrav
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit

Is there a digital dome thermometer available? 
    Southern California
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Do you have a blower?  Stick it on the lower vent.  If you have enough lump, I guarantee you will hit nuke temps.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @bicktrav oh I'm sure someone makes one. I wouldn't. What I do with something like that is pull my thermometer lock off so I can slide my standard thermometer in and out and put my chef alarm or thermapen in the hole. Let's me know quick how on point I am if I have something inconsistent happen to rule out variables. 

I did it with my new black Smokeware thermometer after I did the boil calibration. 

South of Nashville, TN

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

also get a digital thermometer. The one on the Egg is good, but an instant read will be a game changer for you. Also helps with figuring out nonsense like this.  Go get a thermapen. Thank me and everyone else later. 

I would recommend an infrared thermometer too. Good for checking surface temps and troubleshooting. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm going out on a limb and saying if you had mold in your egg the ceramics were prolly moist.  Mine do the "I'm wet and don't wanna heat up dance" from time to time.   Once you dried out the egg the temp started to rise.  Just a guess. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I was going to suggest just stirring the coals. I've had my KJ not want to go above 400 recently. Give the coals a quick stir on the surface, came back 5 mins later and it was at 900. Little high for steak searing but it sure cleaned off those grates.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.