Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seattle and Portland BBQ recommendations?

Options
We'll be in the North West later in the year, looking for some BBQ around Seattle and Portland. Any suggestions?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Never had BBQ out there but both cities have a ton of great restaurants.  A breakfast spot that's worth a visit is called Pine State Biscuits (Portland). Get the Reggie- 
    Greensboro, NC
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Like @Wolfpack, I've concentrated on more unusual stuff. The closest to BBQ I've had was from a place in Portland called Mi Mero Mole. They had a dish w. 8 hour smoked lamb sholder sauced w. Oaxacan black molé. Unbelievably tender, smokey and pungent. The beans and rice were superior too.

Lots of interesting fusion stuff. Had a great PP sandwich topped w. kimchi and lime at a place called Lardo, also in Portland.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Unusual is also good, thanks!
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    For BBQ in PDX, Podnahs is probably the best.  If you want some recommendations for place to eat in general, I can send some along with other things to check out.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    For BBQ in PDX, Podnahs is probably the best.  If you want some recommendations for place to eat in general, I can send some along with other things to check out.
    That would be great, thanks.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Give the BBQ a rest, there are some great spots - but they are few and far in between. Some awesome other eateries, try some Coastal cooking, you will not be sorry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jollygreenegg
    Options
    I agree w/ Wolfpack - Pine State Biscuit is awesome... another great Portland spot is Pok Pok the best Thai food I've had.. they are known for their wings, definitely order them.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Alder-smoked salmon in Seattle (I guess that's barbeque), crab, and sushi for me; that's their specialties.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Yep in hindsight, and advice herein, we'll skip BBQ and go with what's great in these places. Pine State Biscuit does look good, so that's on the list, as is Pok Pok.

• gdenby
    Options
    I agree w/ Wolfpack - Pine State Biscuit is awesome... another great Portland spot is Pok Pok the best Thai food I've had.. they are known for their wings, definitely order them.
    I've had food 3 times from Pok Pok, really remarkable. But I've read there are now at least 2 other places that have Thai that is as good. There are some that say its the best city in the US for Thai.

PDX has 5 James Beard award Chefs. And some of the food carts make food that is as good as most restaurants where I live. Had some "Viking" soul food from 1, and was very pleased.

And, the city is often call Brewtopia and Beervana. Not unusual for a sandwich shop to have a dozen artisanals on tap.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Here's some excerpts from previous PDX postings I've made:

two places I would put high on the list for an amazing dinner would be Le Pigeon or Tasty N' Sons.  If you can't get a reservation at Le Pigeon, you can generally show up at 5ish and sit at the chef's bar (no res required).  Both places have other places around them for a tasty beer or cocktail beforehand too - Burnside Brewing (these guys have a great burger) across from Le Pigeon; HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing across from Tasty N Sons.

For beers: I prefer some of the smaller guys on the East side - Migration, Breakside, Burnside, Commons, Gigantic, Ecliptic.  Ecliptic also is also located on the south end of Mississippi St., which is a great place for local eateries and watering holes.  Another area I highly recommend is NE Williams St.  Go to Tasty 'N Sons for a meal you will not forget.  It's conveniently located across the street from both HUB Brewing and Old Lompoc Brewing (location is called 5th Quadrant).  Both these guys make excellent beers.  If you only have a short time, this is where I would go.  

Other great eateries would be Ox, Toro Bravo (tapas), Beast, Lardo, and Stammtisch (German pub - try the Schweinhaxen).  And if you're still hungry, get some ice cream at Salt and Straw, but it tends to be pretty packed and somewhat touristy.
    The damp PNW 
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Not sure when you are coming, but you could look at making a reservation for Langbaan:
    http://langbaanpdx.com/

We had a friend make reservations ~6 months ago and are going on 4/8.  Difficult to get into since they only do 8 seating per week, but it's supposed to be amazing.  I'm super excited to try this place.
    The damp PNW 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Not sure where you are staying, the Kennedy School Hotel is a fun place for a couple of days. Haven't been in a couple of years, great brew pub eatery to 5 star restaurants on premise. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    Not sure where you are staying, the Kennedy School Hotel is a fun place for a couple of days. Haven't been in a couple of years, great brew pub eatery to 5 star restaurants on premise. 
    +1 on Kennedy School.  Or any of the McMenamins properties - they're always a good time.  My favorite is Edgefield, which is about 20-30 min from downtown PDX.  
    The damp PNW 
  • gdenby
    Options
    And don't forget dessert. In PDX check out Blue Star doughnuts and Pix Patisserie. !Caution: these are sweets to die for. Really, family members will vie for getting the last bite.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @BizGreenEgg - found the Kennedy School thru word of mouth from friends. Never heard of the Edgefield - quite a spot. Might have to make it there for a couple of days this year. Thanks for the heads up. 
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Defintely check out Edgefield.  We stay a couple times a year and catch some of their concerts on the lawn series.  Also got married there so SWMBO is a pretty big fan of the place.
    The damp PNW