Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Burgers

Options
today I was in a make it from scratch kind of mood.  Decided on trying to make brioche buns for the first time and was happy with the way that they turned out.  

After making the buns I sliced up a bunch of potsoes and soaked them and dried them before cooking on the T-fak acty-fry

then for the beef I double ground chuck roast and mixed in dizzy pig dizzy dust which is my go to rub for burgers.  

Finished them off off with my home smoked old cheddar cheese.  

What a fun cook 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great effort and plate brother!  Nice work.  That brioche looks spot on.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Great effort and plate brother!  Nice work.  That brioche looks spot on.
    I need to work on my egg wash next time.  I will try just the yolks next time and not the whole egg.  May get more even browning 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Nicely done!  The juice is worth the squeeze, for sure.
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Care to share your brioche recipe?
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Killer looking burger and plate! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Looks awesome.  Care to share your brioche recipe?
    As soon as I get back home I'll post it up.  I wrote it out as I went today 
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    That's a beautiful plate!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Beauty. Bet it tasted good too. Good work
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Top notch right there!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Outstanding. From prep to finish, great work.  End product reflects that.  Great post!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bosco0633
    Options
    Ok here it is 

3 tbsp - 45g milk
    1 cup - 235g warm water
    2.5 tbsp - 35g sugar
    2 tsp - 7g yeast dry 

2.5 tbsp - 35g soft butter unsalted 
    3 cups - 408g bread flour plus 1/2 cup (68g)
    1.5 tsp - 7g sea salt 

3 eggs 

Step 1

Whisk milk, sugar and warm water then beat 1 egg into mix.  Let sit for 5 min until its bubbling.  

Step 2 

In mixing bowl mix butter, 3 cups of flour and salt until butter is crumbled.  

Step 3 

Mix liquid in and beat 5 min until dough ball formed.  If dough wet, mix in the other half cup. 

Step 4 
    place in bowl and let rest 90 min until double in size.  Cover with damp cloth.  

Step 5

Lightly press dough to remove air and then cut into 8 pieces (approx. 110g)

Roll into ball then add a bit of flour to remove some the the stickiness (coat ball light covering)

Rest on oan with parchment paper and cover for 1-2 hours until they rise again.  

Step 6

Preheat oven to 400 add a cast skillet on the bottom of oven.  Whike heating.  

Mix two yolks and add a splash if water and coat dough with egg wash  

Step 7 

Once oven hits 400 add half cup of water to cast pan and place buns in oven 

15-20 min until even browning on outer dough.  

Let rest until cool on drying racks 

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Ever try mixing in some raw bacon when you grind the burgers?
  • bosco0633
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Im a beef purist with burgers.  I have done it but really enjoy the simple flavour of beef with some seasoning.  I always go to these gourmet places and end up ordering the cheeseburger classic.  To me, its about simple with all the right toppings.  

I prefer chuck (blade roast) as the fat ratio is a bit better.  The blade is a great cut of meat with good fat mixed into the muscle.  I look for the fattier roast as I prefer more of a 70/30 grind.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    These are the type of threads that make this forum such a great place.  A home cooked meal where EVERYTHING is from scratch.  Amazingly well done!!  I always enjoy your posts.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    Ever try mixing in some raw bacon when you grind the burgers?
    I normally grind in bacon as well but prefer to grind in cooked bacon.
    Also like to grind in jalapeño smoked sausage with my beef.
    I like the cooked stuff so I can still my burgers at less time and not have soggy, chewy bacon and pork.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Oh my lawd!!!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Image result for clapping gif
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    spectacular! 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that is an epic burger!  For the fries do you just try them on a wire rack or do you use the oven? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bosco0633
    Options
    Man that is an epic burger!  For the fries do you just try them on a wire rack or do you use the oven? 
    I soaked and rinsed them twice then just put them on dish towels to let them air dry.