Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Crazy Question... Don't laugh ok

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks[p]Was wondering about how to infuse meat with flavor. I was wondering if any of you have ever par-boiled your ribs in bbq sauce before rubbing and cooking? Seems feasible, but maybe not worth the time or cost... Any thoughts?[p]Regards
Mark

·

Comments

• dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Mark B,
    Brine, marinate, inject (harder with ribs I'd think)...maybe..... but boil....never.

·
  • gmangman Posts: 106
    Maybe for other grills. But with the BGE it's not necessary for ribs. [p]However, for whole chickens, I've been trying to get flavor down into the breast meat. I recently bought a cheap injector to try out. It's definitely not for the moisture, but to enhance the taste.
    ·
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 154
    Mark B,[p]Do not par boil! You are par boiling flavor away! Rub, Sauce, even inject if you have to - but there should not be a reason to par boil.
    ·
  • SirKeatsSirKeats Posts: 159
    Mark B,[p]my step-fater boils his ribs first. he just has a really basic gas grill though. it makes them quite tender... but the only flavor left is from the sauce he puts on there durring the cook. that said, better to skip the boil part. in the egg at least it's not needed.

·
  • RumrunnerRumrunner Posts: 563
    SirKeats, it's OK to boil ribs if you want to make Rib Soup :)

·
  • SirKeatsSirKeats Posts: 159
    Rumrunner,[p]heheheh. ya. like i said, post-boil... all the ribs are is a vehicle for the sauce... since all the actual meat flavor is setting in your water. LOL
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,741
    Rumrunner,
    i really didnt know there was such a thing til i looked it up, it is ok to make pork rib soup in the egg.

·