Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket going on tonight

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Bought a prime 17.4 pound brisket, trimmed down to 13.0 pounds.
Used some oil, salt, pepper, and a pretty tasty espresso based rub with ancho chili powder.
I will be smoking it with pecan.
Putting it on tonight, looking at a 19.5 hour low and slow around 250F dome.
Dinner is tomorrow night at 7PM, and I want to give it about a half hour rest prior to BPTC which I think works well for a couple of hours, as I usually like about a 4 hour hold.
It completely fills up my 13"X20.5" aluminum serving pan.
We will see how this turns out. This party was planned in early December last year, and the weather is going to be atrocious, with heavy downpours, lightening, and high winds, (Of course it is). 
It should be an interesting evening.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    As long as you have a rain cap you should be good to go!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good luck brother!  That's a fine looking brisket right there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you haven't done prime before every one I've done has been finished earlier than anticipated.
    Think it might be the fat/marbling to muscle ratio. I'm no expert by any means but I've done quite a few.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Love the "before" picture!  Looking forward to "during" and "after"!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing as Little Steven. The prime briskets I have gotten from Costco (and it is only three) all have beaten my prediction for time by a few hours.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Wow that looks like it will be fun.  You are the Pecan Preacher and the reason i have pecan wood in my arsenal now.

I tend to agree with @Little Steven  with the time.  The last couple primes have been done in 12 hours or so.  I was shooting for 250 dome as well.  I don't write anything down, but i remember being surprised at how quickly they finished.   Brisket for breakfast is not a bad thing!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Little Steven
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wow that looks like it will be fun.  You are the Pecan Preacher and the reason i have pecan wood in my arsenal now.

I tend to agree with @Little Steven  with the time.  The last couple primes have been done in 12 hours or so.  I was shooting for 250 dome as well.  I don't write anything down, but i remember being surprised at how quickly they finished.   Brisket for breakfast is not a bad thing!  
    Not too far off reality. Several of mine have been ready to go at breakfast time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Looks like a great cook on the horizon  Given a brisket can take a little heat once you have laid down the smoke, you can use that to your advantage in the AM if you need to dial it up to get into the FTC window.
    You have a lot of run time with the Costco prime cuts.  As above, I would be surprised if it takes as long as you plan but the cow drives the cook.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @kl8ton, @EggMcMic @Little Steven
    I have done about 25-30 costco primes, and I know that of what you speak. I had a 12 pounder finish in just over 9 hours before, IT was below 190F when pulled. I will be up monitoring throughout the evening so I will keep an eye on it. I had planned a 11:00 pm start on the egg, and was prepared to wrap, towel and cooler for the remainder of time prior to the dinner. I have had it on stand by for 6 hours once, with no issues. A little tricky, but with some luck, I will not mess it up too bad, hopefully. Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate the guidance.
    I have an umbrella and speedos. I think I should be ok. =)

@bgebrent

I hope it looks and tastes good after the cook. Meteorite is on its way.

@HendersonTRKing
    Well, my Saul Bellow fellow reader, I got the first one, if the weather is as horrible as it is for casted to be, the "during" image might not be too much to brag about, if one is taken at all, and tomorrow nights dinner party will get a couple shots, I am sure. Will try my best.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like big green eggs, brisket, smoke, fire.

So I will be following this thread.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Looks like a great cook on the horizon  Given a brisket can take a little heat once you have laid down the smoke, you can use that to your advantage in the AM if you need to dial it up to get into the FTC window.
    You have a lot of run time with the Costco prime cuts.  As above, I would be surprised if it takes as long as you plan but the cow drives the cook.  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    @lousubcap
    I agree cap, I am not thinking it will even be close to approaching the 19.5 hour mark, but, for the sake of dealing with the bovine gods, time is a sacrifice to be made. I will be in no rush at all, and when the cow bell rings, I will be ready, even with plan B if necessary.
    My major concern, is the forecasted weather, and working through that. As you know a million and one things can go wrong with a brisket cook, multiplying that with shiddy weather, well, the typical cooking process and  getting any easier, will be diametrically opposed.
    Plan, adjust, overcome. Brisket 101. You taught me well.
    Thank you for the insight. As always, I appreciate it from the master.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I like big green eggs, brisket, smoke, fire.

So I will be following this thread.
    I hope you enjoy high winds, lightning and heavy down pours. Do I know how to party or what?
    I will update as we move forward. Thanks for checking this out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Starting to watch brisket cooks now, so watching this too. The hunk of meat looks great in the raw!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Starting to watch brisket cooks now, so watching this too. The hunk of meat looks great in the raw!
    Thanks for checking it out. I just hope it looks good and tastes good when served. I will try to keep the post up to date. Any questions about my insanity or the process or both, let me know.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Latest weather guessers look like you will get a pass til reveille Tues AM.  That will definitely set you up to manage the run to the finish-line.  Never gets old, "Brisket cooks, the most fun you can have with the BGE".  Enjoy as I know you will.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I have done about 25-30 costco primes, and I know that of what you speak. I had a 12 pounder finish in just over 9 hours before, IT was below 190F when pulled. I will be up monitoring throughout the evening so I will keep an eye on it. I had planned a 11:00 pm start on the egg, and was prepared to wrap, towel and cooler for the remainder of time prior to the dinner. I have had it on stand by for 6 hours once, with no issues. A little tricky, but with some luck, I will not mess it up too bad, hopefully. Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate the guidance.

@bgebrent

@HendersonTRKing
    Well, my Saul Bellow fellow reader, I got the first one, if the weather is as horrible as it is for casted to be, the "during" image might not be too much to brag about, if one is taken at all, and tomorrow nights dinner party will get a couple shots, I am sure. Will try my best.

No insult intended there. I saw the half hour rest part and thought about the one I did yesterday. Lots of the real experienced guys recommend choice briskets and  I cooked a hell of a lot of Canadian grass fed shoe leather over the years and eventually gave up on the cut. Got my first USDA prime from a friend and it was wonderful.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Little Steven The window of opportunity to nail the cook is wider as you go up the beef grading chart.  And that window can be a challenge to find with some cows.  But all's well that ends well.  And yours ended well.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man oh man....you will find much joy on the other side.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Will be watching this one...  good luck with temps, lightning, thunder, high winds, sleep... did I leave anything out?  :s
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Enjoy the ride Ron. It will be all the more rewarding an experience. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Very nice. Following. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Remember this important safety rule: in the event of severe/catastrophic weather, protect the brisket ! The house is insured ! A man has to have his priorities!
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

@bgebrent

@HendersonTRKing

No insult intended there. I saw the half hour rest part and thought about the one I did yesterday. Lots of the real experienced guys recommend choice briskets and  I cooked a hell of a lot of Canadian grass fed shoe leather over the years and eventually gave up on the cut. Got my first USDA prime from a friend and it was wonderful.
    None taken, and trust me I love learning. Thank you for the comments.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Latest weather guessers look like you will get a pass til reveille Tues AM.  That will definitely set you up to manage the run to the finish-line.  Never gets old, "Brisket cooks, the most fun you can have with the BGE".  Enjoy as I know you will.
    Concur on the weather guessers. If I catch a break from the next one bearing NE at zero four five, I will be golden. Otherwise, it will be just a bit more interesting, for sure.
    Roger that on the enjoying the cook, everything is wired tight on this operation, no matter where this goes.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Man oh man....you will find much joy on the other side.
    Unicorns and rainbows brother Robin, it is all good. Thanks for for the encouragement.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Will be watching this one...  good luck with temps, lightning, thunder, high winds, sleep... did I leave anything out?  :s
    Bourbon?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Bourbon?
    Hopefully not missing!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Enjoy the ride Ron. It will be all the more rewarding an experience. 
    Enjoying the ride, every wet and windy step of the way. I am prepared, I got my friends ready to provide direction if needed. Thank you for checking this one out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Very nice. Following. 
    Thank you sir, I will try to post throughout the cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Remember this important safety rule: in the event of severe/catastrophic weather, protect the brisket ! The house is insured ! A man has to have his priorities!
    And my bourbon, let us not get too wrapped up in replaceable beef.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky