Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yup...another 50 hour Georgia Red Wing meal!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Scott805 said:
    Think I will try this on chicken thighs this weekend.
    Since thighs are so dense if it was me doing them I'd let these soak for at least 74 hours - that is, if you are using the recipe version I follow as posted here. Please response with your assessment on the cooked thighs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Tried these Saturday, pretty flavorful but not much heat. I did not use Dizzy Pig, used Blues Hog may be why they lacked heat. Still very good flavor .
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • RRP
    Tried these Saturday, pretty flavorful but not much heat. I did not use Dizzy Pig, used Blues Hog may be why they lacked heat. Still very good flavor .
    Thanks - no, if you didn't dust with DP Swamp Venom then no there wouldn't be much heat. Did you mean you used some Blues Hog sauce? The GRW really can stand on their own legs - er I mean wings! =) with a sauce.
  • calracefan
    No I used Blues Hog Rub cause I had it, figured it would be a bit tamer. They were good all the same, was surprised with all the soy sauce they weren't salty ! Thanks for the recipe, might have to look at getting some Dizzy Pig and try again !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • RRP
    edited March 2017
    No I used Blues Hog Rub cause I had it, figured it would be a bit tamer. They were good all the same, was surprised with all the soy sauce they weren't salty ! Thanks for the recipe, might have to look at getting some Dizzy Pig and try again !
    Being down in Fulton have you ever tried any Sticky Pig products made up in Centralia? The proprietor of Sticky Pig and Bill Arnold of Blues Hog were teammates on the BBQ circuit for years until spitting. The SP tastes just like the more expensive BH. Give it a try sometime.
    https://stickypigbbq.com/

I see in Fulton:
    Fulton
    C&R Market
    Mosers
  • calracefan
    I did try some sauce once, I have had very good results with Blues Hog . Kinda hard to steer away from a good thing. Daughter in law asked me the other day if I could make chicken like I make ribs (rub /sauce ) so I gave it a whirl , mustard , Blues Hog Rub and Sweet baby Rays  Sweet and Spicy was an excellent combination on some chicken thighs. I do have an assortment of rubs from the exchange a year or so back, plus Bad Byrons Butt Rub, and Rondevous Rub. they are all good !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    RRP said:
    Hub said:
    I did my first try at these wings last night.  They were good, but not near as good looking as yours.  Not sure what I did wrong, but plan to try again.
    Looks don't necessarily mean anything. How was the taste? Was the meat tasty clear to the bone? Did you hit them with a fresh light dusting of Swamp Venom? I find a dusting on both sides too much as I don't want to burn my tongue from the exterior, but enjoy the whole eggperiece. Did you follow my 50 hour recipe or one of the others who sprang to the thread? Just trying to help. BTW my wife and I enjoyed another meal of them cold the other night so I swear they would work to take along on a summer picnic rather than support KFC! 
    Mine weren't as red as yours and were a bit charred.  Next time I plan to cook at a lower temperature .. maybe 360 or so.  I did the swamp venom and the fifty hours .. I think it was the cooking and not the prepping that did me in.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Ron, those sound awesome.  Thanks for sharing the recipe and pic. 
    Can you explain the rationale for step 2 in your recipe?  I've never heard of this before;
    2. Thoroughly rinse the fat from the wing parts by soaking in salt water for 4 hours and then again rinsing under running water.

LBGE/Maryland
  • RRP
    That step is something I came up with and sometimes don't even do it myself so I guess I should have labeled it as optional. From time to time the wings I buy from SAMS which are the PILGRIM brand seem a little slippery - NOT slimy, but like they have more chicken grease on them. Sometimes water sort of beads up and runs off so I discovered a salt wash/soak removes that. Also I'm old school that I remember when you were advised to soak chicken in salt water to draw out blood which was more in freshly butchered poultry so I guess that stuck in my mind as well.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    If I can't find the Texas Pete's sauce, would regular Frank's sauce work for the recipe?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude said:
    If I can't find the Texas Pete's sauce, would regular Frank's sauce work for the recipe?
    I was also wondering that
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Thanks @RRP for the recipe and pointers... I sort of took this in a slightly different direction based on what "stuff" I had on hand and spousal requirements.  (Wife is allergic to gluten, soy and can't have acidic or peppery spicy foods).

For the marinade I split the Texas Pete and added some Sriracha (1/2-1/2) and through a splash or Worcestershire "just because" for my wings...  Spousal Wings were Tamari (Gluten Free), Thyme, Garlic and Onion powder.

Everything was marinated 50 hours .

On the grill (my 2/3's to her 1/3's) :) :

I did not have Venom so I made a little "mix":

The XXXHOT is no understatement.... (Compared to Carolina Reaper and Ghost/Scorpion Peppers this stuff is just a small step below in heat)

Finished product with a little dipping sauce... Cooking time at 400 indirect was about 35 minutes and everything was done great:

Fabulous without the dipping sauce... and fabulous with the sauce....

Thanks again Ron!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Ron have you ever tried these Sous Vide? I put wings and a marinade into a Sous Vide bath for 3 hrs. at 145. After the bath I dry them off, dust them with Swamp Venom and then into the egg to crisp them up. I'm definitely going to try your marinade.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • RRP
    QDude said:
    Sure. BTW I buy the Texas Pete at Kroger.
  • RRP
    Ron have you ever tried these Sous Vide? I put wings and a marinade into a Sous Vide bath for 3 hrs. at 145. After the bath I dry them off, dust them with Swamp Venom and then into the egg to crisp them up. I'm definitely going to try your marinade.
    no I have not, but following your SV, then the drying, dusting and crisping I see why not! Not sure they will crisp up all that much though, but smoke smoke would be nice. Let us know.
  • RRP
    Thanks @RRP for the recipe and pointers... I sort of took this in a slightly different direction based on what "stuff" I had on hand and spousal requirements.  (Wife is allergic to gluten, soy and can't have acidic or peppery spicy foods).

For the marinade I split the Texas Pete and added some Sriracha (1/2-1/2) and through a splash or Worcestershire "just because" for my wings...  Spousal Wings were Tamari (Gluten Free), Thyme, Garlic and Onion powder.

Everything was marinated 50 hours .

On the grill (my 2/3's to her 1/3's) :) :

I did not have Venom so I made a little "mix":

The XXXHOT is no understatement.... (Compared to Carolina Reaper and Ghost/Scorpion Peppers this stuff is just a small step below in heat)

Finished product with a little dipping sauce... Cooking time at 400 indirect was about 35 minutes and everything was done great:

Fabulous without the dipping sauce... and fabulous with the sauce....

Thanks again Ron!!!

You're welcome, but I'd say with all your substitutions you created your own recipe for whatever you would like to call it!

It reminds me of my breakfast of eggs and bacon this morning...that is if I would have had some eggs, but then I didn't have any bacon either so I had toast!  =)
  • The_Stache
    Thanks Ron, but your recipe is the MOTHER RECIPE... My "creativity" was simply due to using what I had on hand!  All credit to you for putting all of this together!  I never would have thought about all of the Marinade ingredients!  Brilliant!!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• RRP
    Thanks Ron, but your recipe is the MOTHER RECIPE... My "creativity" was simply due to using what I had on hand!  All credit to you for putting all of this together!  I never would have thought about all of the Marinade ingredients!  Brilliant!!!!
    LOL - but I can't take credit for that recipe! I just shared it from a post made years ago on the original BGE forum.
  • RRP said:
    Those wings do look great.  If you don't mind, would you part with the marinade recipe?  Many thanks!!
    Here you go!

Georgia Red Wings 

The basis of this recipe is from a friend down in Georgia and he called them Georgia Red Wings. I have tweaked the recipe several times over the years to our liking. It seems to be popular at our local Eggfests when I make it! These are not over-powering spicy as some hot wings can be, but instead quite flavorful.  Enjoy! Ron Pratt aka RRP

INGREDIENTS:
    12 to 14 chicken wings
    .75 cup water
    1.25 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice

.50 teaspoon Dizzy Pig brand Swamp Venom dry rub

Procedure
    1. Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding the tips.

2. Thoroughly rinse the fat from the wing parts by soaking in salt water for 4 hours and then again rinsing under running water.

3. Combine marinade ingredients in a large new Zip-Loc bag (1 gallon works best) and mix well. Pour marinade over the wings in bag and then place bag in a rigid container and squeeze out air so the wings stay submerged.

4. It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator at a minimum of 50 hours! Massage bag and turn at least every 12 hours for best results.

5. Remove the wings from the marinade and if you want them hotter sprinkle lightly with Swamp Venom rub. 

6. Grill indirect at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes. If using a foil covered plate setter which I prefer I find no need to turn them during the full cook. If grilling direct, only cook at 350° dome, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes.

Hi Ron, I am going to attempt these for the first time this weekend and am wondering if you cook to an internal temp or just 40-45 minutes?
  • RRP
    Actually I do check the IT of a few at random and make sure they are at least 165 to 170 and they always are. Good luck with your maiden red wing voyage! 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,008
    Would love to give this a try. Sadly Texas Pete and Hot n Spicy not available on this side of the pond. Are there similar product lines? I'll tap up BBQ Gourmet in the UK to see if he has any ideas as well.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• The_Stache
    Would love to give this a try. Sadly Texas Pete and Hot n Spicy not available on this side of the pond. Are there similar product lines? I'll tap up BBQ Gourmet in the UK to see if he has any ideas as well.
    http://www.souschef.co.uk/texas-pete-hot-sauce.html

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Stormbringer

Cheers ... and so much for Google's shopping function. :angry:
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    bookmarking, going to try this in my sharp microwave on "popcorn" setting.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156

Also at Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Pete-Sauce-340g-America/dp/B0004JQW54/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489583869&sr=8-1&keywords=texas+pete
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • RRP said:
    Actually I do check the IT of a few at random and make sure they are at least 165 to 170 and they always are. Good luck with your maiden red wing voyage! 
    Thank you!
  • Stormbringer

Also at Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Pete-Sauce-340g-America/dp/B0004JQW54/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1489583869&sr=8-1&keywords=texas+pete
    I swear when I Googled that amazon.co.uk didn't show anything. Sigh. Senility setting in already, that's depressing.

If you could magic up some Hot and Spicy V8 juice over here, or give me an alternative, we're sorted. :D

• The_Stache

Homemade Spicy V8 Juice Recipe

6 carrots
    1 very small beet
    8 Roma tomatoes (you want a firm tomato for juicing)
    1 red bell pepper
    3 huge handfuls of spinach
    3 stalks celery
    1 clove garlic
    4 small or 2 large lemons
    1-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish (not creamed)
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Stormbringer
    @The_Stache woohoo! "beet" ... beetroot?

• The_Stache
    edited March 2017
    Two countries divided by a common language!  :)

Beetroot, correct!

You could also try just adding some horseradish and cayenne to regular V8

Cheers

PS... probably should have included "directions"

Wash all the produce thoroughly. Remove seeds and stem from pepper, and cut into large chunks. Cut ends from carrots and beet, and cut into chunks. Peel the lemons and cut into quarters. Half the tomatoes, and cut celery into big pieces. Juice everything together, and season to taste.

This recipe makes round 32 ounces (about 1 liter).

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM