Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sandblasting A Smoker Question

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
Sorry for such an off the wall post. I know, asking about sandblasting a steel smoker on a ceramic grill site isn't the best approach. I just singed up over on the BBQ Brethren forum but not sure when I'll get accepted. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's here in Minnesota and hoping to get started restoring the smoker I picked up a few months ago. Here's a little more information:

It's The Good One Smoker - Open Range

I had intentions of taking the angle grinder to it and removing as much paint and rust off it as possible. The more I look at the smoker the less chance I see myself using the angle grinder with a wire brush. I'm thinking I'll need to sandblast it. Which brings me to a couple questions. If I do decide to sandblast, do I have to sandblast the inside? It would be nice to sandblast inside/outside of the smoker but the fire grate is welded to a couple cross bars in the firebox. It would be almost impossible to sandblast with the grate in place and not looking to cut out and re-weld back into place.

Here's a picture of the firebox. The grate is welded to the cross bar.

Here's a picture of the cooking chamber. It's seems to be in good shape.

Can I just sandblast and paint the outside and not worry about anything internally? I'd clean up and season the grates but do I need to worry about the rust/paint inside the smoker?

Thanks for any help!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Depends how in depth you are going with the finish. Powder Coating? I repainted a barrel grill
    my sister gave me. Pressure washed it and used engine paint to bring back to
    life. 
    Before

After
     I wouldn't  worry more then cleaning up the inside.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How about dipping?
    Image result for dip car body
    Never did it, but prices don't look too bad wherever this place is...

http://www.metaldipping.com/prices.php

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Google Rust Mort..I re finished a Klose Pit....used a sanding wheel for the most part
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

I had a buddy sandblast the inside and out of this one and repainted it with high heat engine paint. 

It needs a fresh coat every other year but it's still kicking. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• WeberWho
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Depends how in depth you are going with the finish. Powder Coating? I repainted a barrel grill
    my sister gave me. Pressure washed it and used engine paint to bring back to
    life. 
    Before

After
     I wouldn't  worry more then cleaning up the inside.
    That's awesome! @Hntnhrd Great looking project

I'm looking to clean it up. I'd like to remove the outside rust and paint it. I think that alone is going to be some work. The hinge on the lid of the firebox is welded on. It looks like I might need to grind off a hinge just to remove the lid so I can sandblast around it. Than weld the hinge back on the smoker. It's becoming a bigger and bigger project the more I look at it. Usually how it goes. Your smoker definitely gives me some inspiration to get started
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    How about dipping?
    Image result for dip car body
    Never did it, but prices don't look too bad wherever this place is...

http://www.metaldipping.com/prices.php
    I'd love to have it dipped but I don't think I could justify the cost for the value of the smoker. I'm thinking I'll just use my Dad's sand blaster. I did look into wet blasting kits that you hook up to your pressure washer. I just don't know how much time I can dedicate to wet blasting, drying, and painting before flash rusting begins

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Google Rust Mort..I re finished a Klose Pit....used a sanding wheel for the most part
    Thanks for the tip Ikapigian

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

I had a buddy sandblast the inside and out of this one and repainted it with high heat engine paint. 

It needs a fresh coat every other year but it's still kicking. 
    I'd love to have it sandblasted throughout. I'm not sure how much time I want to dedicate to cutting out grates and re-welding grates back together just to sandblast the inside of the grill. I'd really like to though. The grill in the pic looks great!

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Rust Mort converts the rust to an insouable black finish.this is an after shot
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    @WeberWho how about an orbital sander and some metal sanding disks? Rust doesn't look that bad in picture. Hi temp primer and paint shouldn't run more then 25$ and fire her up and get things smoking. The lid on my project is welded on just propped it open and taped it off when I painted. 
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    @lkapigian I think I follow. After I sandblast the smoker I would use rust mort for the finished paint? 

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    @lkapigian I think I follow. After I sandblast the smoker I would use rust mort for the finished paint? 
    Rust Mort on the heavy rust, it literally disolves it..sand what you can then apply to the deep rust, it will go away...its like dipping in an acid bath
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    @WeberWho how about an orbital sander and some metal sanding disks? Rust doesn't look that bad in picture. Hi temp primer and paint shouldn't run more then 25$ and fire her up and get things smoking. The lid on my project is welded on just propped it open and taped it off when I painted. 
    @Hntnhrd I'm probably over thinking everything. Here's a picture of the hinge I think I need to grind off:

If I remove the hinge I can remove the lid and sandblast behind the part of the lid that get tucked under the channel between the two lids

If I open the lid it doesn't give me much room to paint and sandblast. I'd love to use the angle grinder and steel brush but I think sandblasting will be better with all the different objects I have to go around.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    Rust Mort on the heavy rust, it literally disolves it..sand what you can then apply to the deep rust, it will go away...its like dipping in an acid bath
    @lkapigian Do you have to use some type of cleaner after using it before primer/paint? 

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    @lkapigian Do you have to use some type of cleaner after using it before primer/paint? 
    @WeberWho , water.,,that's it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    I've used that sort of thing on smaller projects (like rehabbing my Lodge cast iron grill) and it works well. Wouldn't it be kinda pricey for a large project like that?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    I think the stuff @lkapigian suggested might be your best bet. Light rust you can sand lightly and paint over. It's not a 68 camaro! Lol
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    By the way that smoker looks cool and should be a fun project. Can't wait to see the first cook on it when it's done
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I wouldn't sand blast it. I'd get some good wire wheel brushes for a drill, and then sand it really well. Then I'd use rustoleom's high heat paint on the outside. (From what I've read on the brethren site, it's what most use) I'd then let it season on the inside with cooking spray and regular use. I wouldn't blast it for two reasons. One, its expensive. (Now my whole argument goes out the window if you've either got your own blaster or have someone doing it for free) Second, unless you're gonna do the inside too, that sand is gonna get all inside and stick to the residual built up grease and you'll never get it all out. That said, when I'm done building mine, I'm gonna blast it, inside and out, then paint the outside only. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I wouldn't sand blast it. I'd get some good wire wheel brushes for a drill, and then sand it really well. Then I'd use rustoleom's high heat paint on the outside. (From what I've read on the brethren site, it's what most use) I'd then let it season on the inside with cooking spray and regular use. I wouldn't blast it for two reasons. One, its expensive. (Now my whole argument goes out the window if you've either got your own blaster or have someone doing it for free) Second, unless you're gonna do the inside too, that sand is gonna get all inside and stick to the residual built up grease and you'll never get it all out. That said, when I'm done building mine, I'm gonna blast it, inside and out, then paint the outside only. 
    My Dad has a sand blasting cabinet for the smaller pieces and a portable sandblasting tank that I'd be able to use for the smoker outdoors. You are right about sand getting into grease. I'd have to do one hell of a job taping and cleaning beforehand. Water blasting is intriguing. Just not sure how much I can do before it starts to flash rust. 

Minnesota
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I don't have any blasting advice but I'm really curious to see what you think of that smoker. Their design has me interested in trying one. Just wondering if it actually does a better job than the egg.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I agree with @Jeremiah , in that if it were me I'd blast inside and out.  I think sodablasting would make short work of the interior, then go sand on the outside for the rust.  

It sounds like you have access to the equipment - if you were paying someone, it would be tough to justify the expense.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I don't have any blasting advice but I'm really curious to see what you think of that smoker. Their design has me interested in trying one. Just wondering if it actually does a better job than the egg.
    We are adding them to our store this spring. I think they are a better BBQ cooker, but obviously not a better all around device. They are more of an offset smoker, but the firebox runs the full width of the cooking chamber so it heats more evenly and consistently. I've kinda coveted them for years now. Not quite as efficient as the egg for fuel usage either. This is a cool restoration project. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @minniemoh I don't think it will be replacing the egg anytime soon but more less wanting to see what an offset smoker is like. Pgprescott mentioned it's a lump hog. Which is mostly true. It's takes a bag of lump every 10 hours or so. Than again I'm not feeding it sticks every 30-45 minutes so it might be an even tradeoff. Chris Marks 8 time American Royal Champion uses The Good One smokers. So I'd assume they have something figured out with these smokers. I'm hoping to make it my dedicated rib smoker. Half a bag of lump for ribs isn't bad. (If doing multiple racks) I'm also thinking I can start a cook and get a descent smoke profile and maybe finish it on the egg the 2nd half to save on lump for briskets, etc. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I maybe should have tested it out first before trying to restore it. :o

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    blasting said:

I agree with @Jeremiah , in that if it were me I'd blast inside and out.  I think sodablasting would make short work of the interior, then go sand on the outside for the rust.  

It sounds like you have access to the equipment - if you were paying someone, it would be tough to justify the expense.

Thanks @blasting I've taken the grinder to the smoker and cut out the expanded steel grate that was spot welded to some support cross bars in the firebox. So I have open space now for sandblasting the inside of the smoker without too many restrictions. You guys are right. Will be sanding inside/outside of the smoker.

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    minniemoh said:
    @minniemoh I don't think it will be replacing the egg anytime soon but more less wanting to see what an offset smoker is like. Pgprescott mentioned it's a lump hog. Which is mostly true. It's takes a bag of lump every 10 hours or so. Than again I'm not feeding it sticks every 30-45 minutes so it might be an even tradeoff. Chris Marks 8 time American Royal Champion uses The Good One smokers. So I'd assume they have something figured out with these smokers. I'm hoping to make it my dedicated rib smoker. Half a bag of lump for ribs isn't bad. (If doing multiple racks) I'm also thinking I can start a cook and get a descent smoke profile and maybe finish it on the egg the 2nd half to save on lump for briskets, etc. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I maybe should have tested it out first before trying to restore it. :o
    They're telling me they use about 1# per hour now, but they have changed some things in order to get to that level of efficiency. Your older one won't likely achieve those numbers. Like you said, they must produce a great product. 
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2017
    Options

WeberWho said:
    minniemoh said:
    They're telling me they use about 1# per hour now, but they have changed some things in order to get to that level of efficiency. Your older one won't likely achieve those numbers. Like you said, they must produce a great product. 
    I'm hoping mine will do something around that. I drool over the The Good One Marshall. I even found a super good deal on a used one. I just couldn't push myself to buy one going through a bag of lump every 5-6 hours. Probably not a bad deal if you were to maximize the cooking chamber every time. Hard to justify it with the two of us. I still want one though! Hopefully this Open Range is a little more rational. The previous owner had 5 or 6 different pit smokers and did competitions. He sold all his other smokers but kept this one. I believe he passed on and his grandson wasn't interested in it. So hopefully I can get this thing cleaned up and start a new chapter with it. 

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    Options
    WeberWho said:

WeberWho said:
    minniemoh said:
    I'm hoping mine will do something around that. I drool over the The Good One Marshall. I even found a super good deal on a used one. I just couldn't push myself to buy one going through a bag of lump every 5-6 hours. Probably not a bad deal if you were to maximize the cooking chamber every time. Hard to justify it with the two of us. I still want one though! Hopefully this Open Range is a little more rational. The previous owner had 5 or 6 different pit smokers and did competitions. He sold all his other smokers but kept this one. I believe he passed on and his grandson wasn't interested in it. So hopefully I can get this thing cleaned up and start a new chapter with it. 
    I've been wanting to add them on our floor for nearly ten years now, but for one reason or another we never did. I'm not sure the level of interest we will get, but I'm doing it this spring. I've been around them in action many times at the shows with Chris at the helm and was pretty impressed. It fills the gap for those who want offset type cookers, but it's a more even dispersion of heat and easier to manage and control i.e. sleep.

One of the Goodwin's told me they eliminated the ash drawer to get better burn times and I think they went to a thicker gauge steel at least in the firebox, but I'm not sure. The new ones have a basket that you remove for clean out as opposed to the ash drawer that used to pull out the side.

That unit is bigger than it looks, there are two levels of cooking and I'm confident you will love it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Sorry for such an off the wall post. I know, asking about sandblasting a steel smoker on a ceramic grill site isn't the best approach. I just singed up over on the BBQ Brethren forum but not sure when I'll get accepted. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 60's here in Minnesota and hoping to get started restoring the smoker I picked up a few months ago. Here's a little more information:

It's The Good One Smoker - Open Range

I had intentions of taking the angle grinder to it and removing as much paint and rust off it as possible. The more I look at the smoker the less chance I see myself using the angle grinder with a wire brush. I'm thinking I'll need to sandblast it. Which brings me to a couple questions. If I do decide to sandblast, do I have to sandblast the inside? It would be nice to sandblast inside/outside of the smoker but the fire grate is welded to a couple cross bars in the firebox. It would be almost impossible to sandblast with the grate in place and not looking to cut out and re-weld back into place.

Here's a picture of the firebox. The grate is welded to the cross bar.

Here's a picture of the cooking chamber. It's seems to be in good shape.

Can I just sandblast and paint the outside and not worry about anything internally? I'd clean up and season the grates but do I need to worry about the rust/paint inside the smoker?

Thanks for any help!

Looks to be close to 12 gauge steel. You should be able to sandblast or even shot blast it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON