Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying turbo ribs for the first time

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
The children are coming for dinner, prior to going to the 21 Pilots show. I had planned to do ribs, low and slow for My Beautiful Wife and I planning oneating later after repairing our poured concrete steps that had a pretty good sized chunk missing.
Well, that is out. Now I am trying to turbo 3 racks of BBRs  before 6pm. I did not get the call until 1:30.
You do what you have to do.
Turbo with peach smoke, and my own rub, I will be curious to see how these turn out.
Just under 390F dome.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• YukonRon
    Options
    1 and a half hours in. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    We have faith in you!  They look well on their way!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You're going to like them my friend!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Serving with a baked potato and bleu cheese cole slaw.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    They will eat it all!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    The toothpick finish does not lie.  Enjoy the audible.  Well-played.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Cap, do you not find the bend test reliable?  Just curious.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Eager to hear you thoughts on how they turn out.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    Cap, do you not find the bend test reliable?  Just curious.
    I've never tried the toothpick test. I'm in the bend camp.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @bgebrent - I did a side-but-side a few years ago and like the ease of the toothpick test.  The bend is a go/no-go in my book.  As you well-know either they pass and are ready or don't make it and then back for more.  Too much skill and dexterity for me.  But the name of the game is the finish-line, however you get there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent - I did a side-but-side a few years ago and like the ease of the toothpick test.  The bend is a go/no-go in my book.  As you well-know either they pass and are ready or don't make it and then back for more.  Too much skill and dexterity for me.  But the name of the game is the finish-line, however you get there.
    Appreciate that input Cap.  Thanks.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    hope you like them Ron, in my one experiment, they didn't render as much fat off, so they were in some ways moister and had more pull.  taste was basically the same, the texture was a little different.  very good, but I'll still run a 5-6 hour cook when I can, turbo when I can't.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'm a believer. I love cooking ribs in under 2 hours. Just gotta keep an eye on the temp / if it gets too hot and there's much sugar in the rub it can get pretty nasty!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    hope you like them Ron, in my one experiment, they didn't render as much fat off, so they were in some ways moister and had more pull.  taste was basically the same, the texture was a little different.  very good, but I'll still run a 5-6 hour cook when I can, turbo when I can't.
    I agree. They were killer, but, I still think low and slow is the way to go for ribs. 
    Ribs are my favorite food. For me, it is worth the extra time.
    I will do this again in emergency situations, and not be concerned of quality, as they were very good. But for My Beautiful Wife and I, we enjoy a lazy cook by the egg, with a couple glasses of wine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I'm a believer. I love cooking ribs in under 2 hours. Just gotta keep an eye on the temp / if it gets too hot and there's much sugar in the rub it can get pretty nasty!
    This is very true, I kept it between 375F and 400F, (the wind was gusting all day) and I was mindful of the dome temps. Any hotter, and I would have had some issues. I think 375F is the wheelhouse for this cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    lousubcap said:
    Appreciate that input Cap.  Thanks.
    Did the toothpick test at 1 hour, 30. Bingo. Followed with the bend test, same results; Bingo.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Eager to hear you thoughts on how they turn out.
    They were very, very good. I envision cooking these again using the turbo method, due to necessity, and being confident on turning out a delicious rack or two of ribs.
    Ribs are my favorite meal, and doing it low and slow, is one of my favorite cooks. That will not change. I like spending my time sharing a couple glasses of wine with My Beautiful Wife, enjoying the BGE lifestyle of a slow cook. 
    Everyone thought they were fabulous, as did I, but Suzy and I both thought L&S was better.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    They will eat it all!!!
    They would have, had I not snuck a cut from all the racks for my lunch tomorrow B)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    LKNEgg said:
    We have faith in you!  They look well on their way!
    They were very good. I was pleased with the results for my first time. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    You're going to like them my friend!
    I did like them, they were very good Brent. I do think L&S has a slight advantage.
    I will be doing this again.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Excuse the fork.....I was surprised to get a smoke ring, using peach to smoke with, in a 90 minute cook.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks good. I cook at 350 and really like the bite/pull from the bone. Yours looks just right. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Nice looking ribs @YukonRon . I love peach smoke on pork. Glad they turned out.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Nice looking ribs @YukonRon . I love peach smoke on pork. Glad they turned out.

@ minniemoh
    Try rubbing the ribs down with peach preserves, after you use your rub, then smoke with peach. I do the same with my pork butts. It is awesome. Our children love it, too.
    Thank you for the comment, I appreciate you looking in.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Looks good. I cook at 350 and really like the bite/pull from the bone. Yours looks just right. 
    @Mickey
    Thank you for taking a look. They were really good, but, being a Rib lover that I am, I am still very fond of the low and slow. I will do these again, no doubt. Appreciate the compliment.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    90-minute ribs are hard to beat, when time is limited!  I am certain they were better than any (most) restaurant-served ribs !!

I like mine fall-off-the-bone style. 30-minutes of foiling at the end might make that happen.

I'll be trying these soon. 

They sure look awesome to me !1

Great job !

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• YukonRon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    90-minute ribs are hard to beat, when time is limited!  I am certain they were better than any (most) restaurant-served ribs !!

I like mine fall-off-the-bone style. 30-minutes of foiling at the end might make that happen.

I'll be trying these soon. 

They sure look awesome to me !1

Great job !

DD
    @dldawes1
     They were better than any ribs you get anywhere IMO. They were much more tender than I had previously anticipated, and I think you are right, a foil wrap the last 30 mins would likely have them falling off the bone.
    Good smoke retention as well. I was astonished to see a smoke ring from peach, after only using 4 chunks.
    Look out for the weather heading your way. It is not good. Tie down everything. Had some cast aluminum chairs get tossed around with one of the gusts this morning.
    Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @YukonRon here is one of the pics from last week's storm...

Between this and other damage, my whole roof has to be retooled, gutters and downspouts also due to hail damage !!!

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    We had some big trees down in some neighborhoods in Cincy, but Northern KY got hit the worst-roof damage, walls ripped off you name it. They confirmed a tornado touch down. In February. Seriously.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @evie1370...yep my roof was one of the NKY casualties !!