Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

An apology, a question, and many thanks

Options
Tinch
Tinch Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone - first, a confession. Been lurking here for 3 years or so, and this is my first contribution. Please accept my apologies for being such a mooch. Second, thank you all for teaching me not only to barbeque, but to cook. I know most of you realize what a great forum this is, but it bears mentioning again. Last, I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for goetta on the Egg. Cinci relatives made it with ground pork shoulder and pin oats. I think it would make a terrific fattie. Any ideas?

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Tinch,
    Wow, I've never heard of that stuff. I've lived in Dayton for the last 13 years too. Must be an immediate Cinci thing.[p]A quick search reveals that it is already cooked. I'd say it could be cooked fattie style as is or with rub.[p]What does it taste like? I'm going to have to look for this stuff and try it fried.[p]Dennis

• Tinch,
    I Googled goetta and came up with this website[p]

[ul][li]http://www.goetta.com/splash.shtml[/ul]
  • chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Options
    Tinch,
    I *love* goetta...but I don't know if it will hold together as a fattie. Impossible to buy here, so let me know how it works out.

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    chmoo,
    How about rolling up the goetta in the silicone mats that the BBQ Guru site sells? I use these mats when making sausage and they work very well.[p]Wish I could get goetta locally here in Minnesota - shipping costs due to fresh meat product make the purchase from out of state prohibitive.

• Tinch
    Tinch Posts: 2
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    Thanks for the reply. It's great fried. Little bit like sausage, little bit like bratwurst. Relatives made it from scratch and baked it in the oven, usually in the winter. You can even get a "goetta dog" at Reds games. I miss it!