Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo brisket?

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum

Never done one but need to. I'm aware of Thirdeye's method but wanted tips from guys that have done it.

Thanks in advance

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    paging @SGH or @nolaegghead as high speed brisket cooks have been successfully done at least at Brisket Camp.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    paging @SGH or @nolaegghead as high speed brisket cooks have been successfully done at least at Brisket Camp.  
    Successfully done according to those who don't know what a properly cooked brisket tastes like. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    Options
    @bhedges1987 -  I gather you were there and have first-hand knowledge.  If so, then inform @Little Steven of their process and the pitfalls from such a cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bhedges1987 -  I gather you were there and have first-hand knowledge.  If so, then inform @Little Steven of their process and the pitfalls from such a cook.
    Oh no I wasn't. I was just kidding. I have cooked hundreds of briskets and no high speed briskets I have cooked even comes close to my low and slows. They're probably successful and good for people who haven't eaten great briskets is what I was saying. Just nothing special IMO. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I can't tell the difference between one cooked at 290 vs 220 or anywhere in between - but I have never gone over 300 on a brisket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    Too late now. Temp got away from me aiming for 350* got to 450*. Set for 250* now but think it went through the stall in the time it was high. Cen-Tex said it should look like a meteorite.....it does

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    Oh well- "We came we saw and we got our a$$es kicked."  Enjoy the end result.  Having recently read of a successful SV brisket cook I'm again reminded that as long as you nail the feel you are home-free.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Looking forward to the discussion about the results 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Oh well- "We came we saw and we got our a$$es kicked."  Enjoy the end result.  Having recently read of a successful SV brisket cook I'm again reminded that as long as you nail the feel you are home-free.

This one is for a baby shower for my son and his wife. It's USDA prime and I don't think @pantsypants can get me another in time. Fingers crossed Lou.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    No worries-you've got this...Curious first grand child?  If so, that elevates the cook.  Congrats regardless.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yes my first. She won't be eating at the shower, at least not directly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Interested in your assessment of the result brother little.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gwizrace
    Gwizrace Posts: 74
    Options
    I never done a turbo brisket. Good luck let us know how it turns out
    Cheektowaga N.Y      LBGE,PRIMO XL, COOKSHAKE fec100,TRAEGER PRO 34,
    Hunsaker Drum,WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN 22.5,Bbq Guru Dx2,Cyberq Could 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just took it off.  It's as tender as an overnighter. Not sure about the flavour. Thirdeye calls for a long rest in a cooler. Went to get one of the three coolers off the deck and they all contained giant ice cubes so it's getting a counter rest.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Toss some towels in the dryer and hot water into the cooler of choice and then FTC for the duration.
    Edit: dump the water before inserting the brisket  =)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Ice don't dump bud. Have to wait a coupla months  before  I schedule a cooler involved cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Came out pretty good. I'll post pic tomorrow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day ;)  Congrats on nailing it.  As you are well aware, the key is the the finish-line; sometimes the route is a challenge but when you get there, that's all that matters to those who get to enjoy the cook.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yes my first. She won't be eating at the shower, at least not directly.
    Congratulations, Gramps :) The whole family must be so stoked. And not just for your brisky. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Oh no I wasn't. I was just kidding. I have cooked hundreds of briskets and no high speed briskets I have cooked even comes close to my low and slows. They're probably successful and good for people who haven't eaten great briskets is what I was saying. Just nothing special IMO. 
    You are right - the "turbo" method doesn't turn out as good a brisket as the regular 275F method.  They're not terrible if you pull them right when they're done, but I can't honestly say they should be preferred.

If you SV the brisket and finish with a turbo on the smoker (and to develop some bark), they can be every bit as good as a low and slow, although less smokey.
    Options
    Congrats on your first grandchild Steven! Looking forward to your pix.
    canuckland
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Congrats Grandpa!  I'm glad your briskie  worked out, too.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    just thinking out loud here but shouldn't you be working on the basics of cooking before trying to tackle something such as this?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I tried it a few years back when turbo cooking started being the thing.  If I recall, I used Third Eye's recipe.  It was done in 3 hrs.  And it was pretty good. I even made this video of the process.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujTBE5ehKc

Now you've got me wanting to do another one just to make sure.

Spring "A Long Time Ago During A Time Almost Forgot" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is how Frank does his:
    Frank Turbo Brisket
    Hot and Fast Brisket 
    Date: 2015/05/31 20:32 
    By: Frank from Houma

Prime brisket injected with one can of beef broth. Just Salt and Pepper. 300 grid temp, raised direct. Fat cap down for two hours, fat cap up for two hours, then wrapped in butcher paper for an hour. Checked with probe - probed like butter. 

After one hour 

Done 

Moist and yummy 

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain 

Who Dat? - Geaux Tigers!! 
    Corpus Christi, TX 

reply |

Re:Hot and Fast Brisket 
    Date: 2015/06/01 23:16 

I can't tell the difference as compared to low and slow. This was a first for the butcher paper. I will be going back to the covered aluminum pan next brisket with the rest the same. Have used the pan a few times and really like it although the butcher paper worked well. 

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain 

Corpus Christi, TX 

reply | quote

Re:Hot and Fast Brisket 
    Date: 2015/06/01 23:21 

The paper is supposed to keep the bark (although I'm not looking for bark on brisket) in place whereas foil will soften it up. 

Corpus Christi, TX 

reply | quote
    Turbo Brisket / Frank Smith

Mickey,

I have smoked several brisket low and slow and 6-7 hot and fast. I'll do them hot and fast from now on. The result is the same and the time to finish is much more predictable. The brisket goes on 8-10 before serving and the time in the cooler provides flexibility on timing. 

Here you go:

Hot and fast brisket - you won't be disappointed. 

1.  Light egg. Stabilize at 250-30" dome. No platesetter - smoking direct.  I like oak chunks of chips for smoke.  Mesquite is preferred by some. 
    2.  Inject with as much beef broth as brisket will hold.  Usually 1 can but could be up to 2 cans. I just use a can or two of Campbell's beef bouillon. 
    3. Salt, black pepper for rub. Some folks like to add garlic powder as well. Dizzy Pig Cowlick is an alternative but just salt and coarse ground pepper is my preference. 
    4. Put brisket on fat cap down for four hours direct. 
    5. After four hours, place brisket in an aluminum pan fat cap up and cover pan with foil.  Could also double wrap in HDAF instead of pan. Some folks swear by butcher paper and contend that brisket will continue to pick up smoke with the paper. I have tried paper twice and went back to foil pan. 
    6. Start probing brisket after 1 hour in pan. Pull the brisket when no resistance to a probe - probes  "like butter".  (brisket will be done in no more than 6-7 hours but forget time and temperature - the brisket is done when it probes like butter)
    7. Place in a foil pan fat cap up and cover pan with foil. 
    8. Rest in a cooler double wrapped in foil and covered with towels or newspaper min 1 hour. Can go longer in cooler as long as temp is over 140 - likely up to 4 hours. 
    9. Place Au jus in container and into the fridge to defat au jus for any that want sauce on the side. 
    10. Cut across grain.  Identify grain and score brisket before placing in egg to ensure cutting across grain. 

Don't slice ahead of time - slice as you are serving. Warm au jus for those that want a little sauce.  

(BTW - I tried fat cap down two hours and the flipped with fat cap up for two hours before going into the pan - not good)

Sent from my iPhone
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    What forum is Frank on Mick?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    Options
    Great groceries right there.  I'm sure all enjoyed the banquet.