Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs down - how tough are they?

Options
We had a nasty wind storm here last Wednesday.  The weatherman said peak gusts were 60 MPH,  I think they were higher.  About 9PM I got a frantic call from my wife telling me both of my eggs blew over.  I was incredulous.  The small is on a standard stand, weighs about 80 lbs.  The XL is in a table loaded with accessories, weighs about 300 lbs in total.  Both eggs had a load of lump, a woo, pizza stones, and cooking grate inside.  Today was my first chance to assess the damage.  

Both eggs survived the fall.  On the XL, the dome was turned off center with the base, so I had to loosen and readjust the bands, but otherwise no damage, just a lot of cleanup.  I am sure that if they had landed on concrete instead of in a mulched bed it could have been a different story, but this one had a happy ending.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    That is crazy!!  Glad they survived. Would it help to roll them next to house if high winds are expected?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Almost "devastating" 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Da-n.  I never would have thought that 60 mph winds would cause that... I'm with you on the speed but the weather guessers are always right, no?  Definitely dodged a major bullet right there.  Whew.
    Had some gusts to a measured 60 mph come thru here early Weds AM and no issues with anything outside unless you consider power to be in that category.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My medium made it through Sandy with 75 mph sustained winds. I took the cover off during the storm and I'm guessing that's what saved it.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Screw a circle bolt in the house and ratchet strap them down.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Glad they had a relatively soft landing.

Whenever I know in advance that a storm is coming thru I push my grills up against the house or corral them together.

Have been caught off guard by sudden squalls before but the only grill I've had actually blow over was my Weber Smokey Mountain. Twice. Have had strong winds blow my Weber kettle rolling along the patio but it didn't knock over.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I don't know how mine survived Wednesday. I'm south of Nashville where the tornado came through. I was just staring outside praying mine didn't flip on the concrete. 

Glad to hear it ended ok. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I too am certain that without the covers they would not have blown off.  Next time we have a heavy wind coming, I will move them to a more protected spot.  What is weird is that the wind here is normally out of the west, the gust that did these in was out of the east.  The XL table only had to move a couple of inches for a wheel to go over the edge (they were locked), but that was enough for the wind to do the rest.  The small probably had to move close to a foot
    Rochester, NY
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Wow. That was a close one. Glad to hear this has a happy ending. 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Damn. Glad that worked out for you. I can't even imagine my egg taking a tumble. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Wow!!!  The BGE gods where looking down upon you.  Thank goodness it came out alright.  You should cook some wagyu in their honor. =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Wow, I think you're living a charmed life friend, at least as far as your Eggs are concerned. You might think about going out and buying some lottery tickets tomorrow to see if your luck transfers over. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    That could have ended up a lot worse. Glad it worked out in your favor.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    We had a little blow named Matthew a while back. An 80-90 foot 20"DBH oak uprooted with one limb on each side of the egg. It was unscathed, the metal shop building not so much. It had no cover.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Unrelated I suppose, but @Cookinbob are you in law enforcement? The term "officer down" relates so I wondered if your selection of "eggs down" had any side meaning. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    @RRP  I am not in law enforcement, but I have seen enough TV and movies to know the term "officer down" or "Man down".  It's where my subconscious went :s
    Rochester, NY
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

Agree that the cover on the medium probably acted like a sail.  It was more than likely the flat side of the table that caught the wind and helped push it off the patio.

Agree with the moving close to the house and also chocking the wheels or strapping to the hosue if you have the chance.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is very impressive. I am very glad your eggs and your family is ok. I never thought I would have seen that.
    Bad storms coming in, I place them as close to the house as I possibly can and use anything I can find as a wind deflector.
    Glad there is no major damage. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Wow.....that's crazy.  I suspect either your wife or the Russians are to blame.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA