Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have an Instant Pot? Are they worth having?

Options
13»

Comments

• deadlyfrog
    Options
    The users of an Instant Pot would you recommend a 6 or 8 quart.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    If you are like me just ask your Daughter what size she wants and get that. 
    Make life easy 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    You can always cook smaller amounts in a bigger pot. Hard to cook big amounts in a small pot. My two cents. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a 6qt, has been good.  I know someone else that two 8qts and loves them.  Some recipes use a method where you put a pot inside the pot, so an 8qt would provide more space for that...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm going with an 8.  It will handle cooking for a group like church & family gatherings easier.  We're pulling the trigger next week.
    Flint, Michigan
  • deadlyfrog
    Options
    Which one you gettig Fred? Amazon is out for awhile on the 8qt.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Feel like such a slacker with doing poached eggs then giving it to my Daughter.  
    Told you, you Texans are weird! Bet she really appreciates it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Idk.  I really want that 8 qt.  Am I patient enough to wait for it?  Hmmmmm...
    Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Idk.  I really want that 8 qt.  Am I patient enough to wait for it?  Hmmmmm...
    Yeah, I'd wait for the 8. Mfg is out till eom. https://instantpot.com/store/home.php

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Because I don't feel like reading a bunch of *fake* reviews on Amazon, can you guys tell me why the Instapot is better than the other ones out there?   I just want a stainless steel insert, but other than that would like to buy the cheapest one out there that won't break right after warranty....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Because I don't feel like reading a bunch of *fake* reviews on Amazon, can you guys tell me why the Instapot is better than the other ones out there?   I just want a stainless steel insert, but other than that would like to buy the cheapest one out there that won't break right after warranty....
    Instapot has been around for a few years but I'm betting that most of these come from the same one or three Chinese factories and I have no idea if there really is any significant qualitative difference between them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    odie91 said:

I don't know anything about the other ones.  I bought the IP a week ago off of Amazon and it is sturdy and seems very good quality.  I would recommend it.  

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    There is at least two facebook communities dedicated to the Instant Pot.  From what I can see from the posts, the company making the Instant Pot really stand behind the product and are good about resolving any issues that arise.  Serious Eats did a comparison of several electric pressure cookers.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/equipment-the-best-pressure-cookers-review.html

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    POACHING EGGS: I really have to laugh at all the hoo-ha about doing that in a PC! Whether or not you drain off the liquid, here is America's Test Kitchen method that does it in 5 (five!) minutes on the stove:

Put water in a skillet, throw in some white vinegar and salt, bring water to boil. Remove from heat and gently ease in your eggs (I have silicone poaching cups that I put each egg in, just for transferring the egg into the water). Cover for 5 minutes. I lift them out with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to drain. Perfect every time!
    Judy in San Diego
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    POACHING EGGS: I really have to laugh at all the hoo-ha about doing that in a PC! Whether or not you drain off the liquid, here is America's Test Kitchen method that does it in 5 (five!) minutes on the stove:

Put water in a skillet, throw in some white vinegar and salt, bring water to boil. Remove from heat and gently ease in your eggs (I have silicone poaching cups that I put each egg in, just for transferring the egg into the water). Cover for 5 minutes. I lift them out with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to drain. Perfect every time!
    @Judy Mayberry I've tried the ATK method and I don't like the taste/texture of the eggs poached in water+vinegar.  I prefer Ruhlman's method.  People are doing soft boiled eggs (cooked in their shell) in the Instant Pot.  I've never heard of anyone doing poached eggs in them.  That being said, I've started using mine because I have the Bluetooth Smart version and I can create custom scripts that will bring the water to a temp of 185F and then hold it at 180F after I add the eggs.  This is the perfect temperature to poach eggs.

Options

ATK must have a thing for vinegar. I've never tried it in poached eggs, but I can't imagine them not tasting vinegary. Kenji (who used to worker Chris Kimball at ATK) once posted a SE method for cooking green beans. It called for vinegar. The pics looked great and Kenji's usually pretty good so I tried it. The beans were inedible. Now, whenever I see a recipe that shouldn't call for vinegar... but does... I run the other way.

But yeah, I had to scratch my head at using a PC. Vinegar or not. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Carolina Q: There is absolutely no vinegar taste on the eggs, ever!

Egg whites are mostly protein, and protein starts to set (coagulate) as soon it meets heat. Adding vinegar to poaching water makes the whites firm even faster to prevent them from dispersing (feathering) in the water. Lowering the pH (increasing the acidity) of the cooking liquid is one way to lower the temperature required for coagulation.

Any acidic liquid will have a similar effect. White vinegar is probably the most effective, but you could also add lemon juice or wine to the poaching liquid.

Judy in San Diego
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I always add a little vinegar to water when poaching eggs. Just the way I was taught.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    The Instant Pot is getting a workout today.  Poached eggs were first.  Now, I am steaming up some Schwartz's Smoked Meat -- almost as good as going to the resto in Montreal.  Tonight, it will be steamed cabbage and spuds.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

ATK must have a thing for vinegar. I've never tried it in poached eggs, but I can't imagine them not tasting vinegary. Kenji (who used to worker Chris Kimball at ATK) once posted a SE method for cooking green beans. It called for vinegar. The pics looked great and Kenji's usually pretty good so I tried it. The beans were inedible. Now, whenever I see a recipe that shouldn't call for vinegar... but does... I run the other way.

But yeah, I had to scratch my head at using a PC. Vinegar or not. =)
    Michael, don't add the entire bottle of vinegar! Jeez!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Jeez!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Jeez!

You should call me before you attempt anything adventurous or exotic buddy. It's like a tablespoon of vinegar. Just sayin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    And here I thought it should be at least a gallon. To each his own.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    And here I thought it should be at least a gallon. To each his own.
    Maybe it was a recipe for boiling kale?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Can anyone reccomend a good cookbook or online resource for an electric pressure/multi cooker? One geared towards newbs perhaps?
    America's Test Kitchen has a book out, Pressure Cooker Perfection, that I really like, have done about 2/3rds of the recipes in it and they've all been winners.  Understand they have a sequel out, I will be getting that too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    ATK mentioned that a 6-qrt won't hold a whole chicken, an 8-qrt will.  That made my decision.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Just ordered a 6qt for $90 after tax.   Target has 10% off plus another 5% with Redcard.  Must do in store pickup for the promotion.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The thread that never dies. Wooooo.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like it. Can slow cook and PC. I use it a decent amount. Mainly for veggies and pot Roast. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf