Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have an Instant Pot? Are they worth having?

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have read several reviews on this PC and i think i might just spend some of my retirement bucks on this.  
    Darn Mickey, you have a way of getting me to spend my retirement $$ (rest of $$ going for new handgun). 
    Have you bought the Airstream? 
    The big hold up on the Airstream is I want it next to the house and Linda says no. Looking at 19-25 (25 would have to go bigger pull unit than my Taco). 
    What new handgun? Have a new Colt Cobra on order. Just now being built and hope they start shipping end of March. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have a Fagor multi cooker. I have been meaning to experiment some more with it, but time keeps getting away from me lately. It has worked flawlessly as a rice cooker(what I was looking for when I bought the multi cooker) and the few simple things I tried so far. Can anyone reccomend a good cookbook or online resource for an electric pressure/multi cooker? One geared towards newbs perhaps?

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Oh god yes!  We bought ours to cook rice but it has turned into one of our go to gadgets. Instapot risotto is amazing. Right now, I am cooking some chickpeas for tonight's paella.  A couple of weeks ago, we made French Onion soup.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Ordered!  A co-worker received one for Christmas and loves it.  This post was all I needed to click order now, free same day delivery.  I also ordered the glass top..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Loving ours!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I think I posted this somewhere once before, but these are great recipes that are all fairly simple.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/pressure-cooker-recipes.html#google_vignette
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Ordered!  A co-worker received one for Christmas and loves it.  This post was all I needed to click order now, free same day delivery.  I also ordered the glass top..
    @smbishop I was going to order the glass lid too but I found out that another lid that I already have fits perfectly on it.  You should order a few spare gaskets because they are odour magnets.  I use one for savoury foods and another for neutral/sweets.

Options
    I don't eat much rice, but this thread finally convinced me to try it in the PC. Bring to pressure, cook 3 minutes, remove from heat for 10 minutes. Open PC, fluff rice and serve. This was Basmati, brown or wild rice will take longer.

My Presto manual talks about putting the rice and water in a separate, foil covered container. Then placing that in 2 cups of water in the PC. Thought that seemed odd so I found someone else who said, just dump it in the PC and go. So I did.

The PC saves quite a bit of time on most things I have tried. With rice, not so much. My bag of Carolina rice says boil water, add rice and cook for 20 minutes. 13 vs 20. The Basmati bag says cook for 10, let stand for 5. It's easier to clean a saucepan than a PC so I can't see using a PC for rice. Unless I'm missing something.

The other thing I want to try now is a cheesecake. Had no idea you could do that in a PC, but @paqman's sure looks great!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    Thanks guys. Amazon is sending ours now.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The_Stache
    Options
    @CarolinaQ, interestingly we did Basmati rice in our Instapot last night (just for 2) 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water.  4 minutes on "high" pressure, rested for 10 and released pressure.  My wife's to the rice was that she never realized what basmati rice tasted like.  Much more flavor vs normal stove top in saucepan prep.

@Mickey !!!  =) I think you'll love it!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I don't eat much rice, but this thread finally convinced me to try it in the PC. Bring to pressure, cook 3 minutes, remove from heat for 10 minutes. Open PC, fluff rice and serve. This was Basmati, brown or wild rice will take longer.

My Presto manual talks about putting the rice and water in a separate, foil covered container. Then placing that in 2 cups of water in the PC. Thought that seemed odd so I found someone else who said, just dump it in the PC and go. So I did.

The PC saves quite a bit of time on most things I have tried. With rice, not so much. My bag of Carolina rice says boil water, add rice and cook for 20 minutes. 13 vs 20. The Basmati bag says cook for 10, let stand for 5. It's easier to clean a saucepan than a PC so I can't see using a PC for rice. Unless I'm missing something.

The other thing I want to try now is a cheesecake. Had no idea you could do that in a PC, but @paqman's sure looks great!!!
    I agree about rice. My rice cooker makes every type of rice I've thrown in it perfectly. Every. Single. Time.

Various types of rice in a PC require different timings, water, whatever. Most results were ok but I'll stick with my rice cooker which requires no fiddling and guesstimation.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    edited February 2017
    Options
    paqman said:
    smbishop said:
    @smbishop I was going to order the glass lid too but I found out that another lid that I already have fits perfectly on it.  You should order a few spare gaskets because they are odour magnets.  I use one for savoury foods and another for neutral/sweets.

@pagman Thank you for the recommendation, ordered!  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey
    Brother Mic, another place that the a PC really shines is cooking wild game. I either start or finish all of my rabbit, squirrel, blackbird, etc, etc, in the PC. Rabbit and squirrel pressure cooked in a roux or dark gravy is truly spectacular.
    If you like fried rabbit and squirrel, start it in the PC and remove when it becomes tender. Then batter or dust and finish in the deep fryer or frying pan. Trust me on this one ole buddy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    We've had a Cuisinart for about six years.works awesome but the next one will probably be a IP. It's the only way I'll do mashed potatoes now. You can cook them without water logging them. Then they take milk/ cream better.  I've done enough Verde shredded chicken to sink a ship. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HelenGrace203
    Options
    oh, risotto, how could I have forgotten that?  seriouseat's mushroom risotto with IP is unbelievable.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    #SGH is it good for cooking anus?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2017
    Options
    GlennM said:
    #SGH is it good for cooking anus?
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried anus or Sphincter in the PC. Why? Anus and Sphincter are just to hard to come by in volume. Case in point. The average beef carcass when trimmed and deboned yields approximately 500 pounds of usable meat. The average pork carcass yields around 120 pounds of usable meat. Please note that I said the "average". Some certainly yield more and some yield less. With that said, less than one pound of this is edible anus. 
    As such, I usually just stick with deep frying anus and/or Sphincter. However I'm more than certain that anus could be adapted to PC cooking. Just haven't tried it myself due to the reason given above. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Anus under pressure.... Sounds wonderful, what could possibly go wrong?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Mickey
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It and three extra items for it got here. 
    First thing I did poached eggs. Took me three times as long to do them. Then got to really reading the extra cookbook. Hell in retirement all I got is friggin time. 
    Went to send it all back to Amazon and thought to call Daughter. Yep, she is excited to get it so it will travel to North Dallas where someone without an abundance of time can put it to good use. Now to pull out my old pressure  cooker. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Poached eggs. That's what sous vide is good at. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • The_Stache
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mickey said:
    It and three extra items for it got here. 
    First thing I did poached eggs. Took me three times as long to do them. Then got to really reading the extra cookbook. Hell in retirement all I got is friggin time. 
    Went to send it all back to Amazon and thought to call Daughter. Yep, she is excited to get it so it will travel to North Dallas where someone without an abundance of time can put it to good use. Now to pull out my old pressure  cooker. 

Poaching eggs ... hmmm, had I known I would have recommended sous vide and 13 minute eggs... Sorry to have led you down a wrong path.  I hope you daughter enjoys it!!

PS... I started my retirement 1-FEB-2017... I'm enjoying my time so far.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I thought the same thing. Of all the things you can do poaching eggs would never have crossed my mind. I finally found someone with less patience than me! That is saying something 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    But you can do incredible beef stew in an hour, poaching eggs? Damn you Texans are weird. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We had a Power Cooker by Tristar Products.  I'm not sure of the model, but it wasn't the XL.  On our 2nd cook, we were doing a corned beef we got on sale.  The meat would cook under pressure for approx 90 minutes.  The cooker had a maximum pressurized cooking time of 30 minutes.  For what the cooker cost, I'm not willing to babysit and reset it once or twice during the cook.  We returned it and we're looking for an Instant Pot.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Mickey The secret to perfect poached eggs is to get rid of the liquid part of the egg white before poaching them.  The egg white is actually made of two different proteins.  One of them is attached to the yolk, the other is a runny liquid.  I use a colander or perforated spoon to get rid of the runny part.  After doing that, you just have to drop the egg in 190F water and stir gently for 3-3.5 minutes.

Ruhlman has a video that explains it pretty well.  Not sure if it is still being sold but he also had a spoon specifically designed for this.

Here's the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/RcnPTQ0fLvw

This is the colander that I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BR4GWN2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488585572&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rsvp+endurance+berry+colander

I also like this spoon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMCWAXK/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1488585695&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=joseph+joseph+spoon

Options

We have a Tatung rice cooker from Taiwan. It is not a PC, but you do put about 40% of the water required into the pot, then drop in the liner with the rice and about 60% of the water. The idea I'm told, is the rice never overcooks or infuses too much water, maybe that's what your Presto manual was on about. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Mickey The secret to perfect poached eggs is to get rid of the liquid part of the egg white before poaching them.  The egg white is actually made of two different proteins.  One of them is attached to the yolk, the other is a runny liquid.  I use a colander or perforated spoon to get rid of the runny part.  After doing that, you just have to drop the egg in 190F water and stir gently for 3-3.5 minutes.

Ruhlman has a video that explains it pretty well.  Not sure if it is still being sold but he also had a spoon specifically designed for this.

Here's the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/RcnPTQ0fLvw

This is the colander that I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BR4GWN2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488585572&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=rsvp+endurance+berry+colander

I also like this spoon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LMCWAXK/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1488585695&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=joseph+joseph+spoon

Thank you very much. Did not know that...... Will do the next time

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I like mine so far, first time using it, mushroom risotto.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smbishop
    Options
    I have had mine a week and my 1st cook was the mushroom risotto.  Good stuff!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Feel like such a slacker with doing poached eggs then giving it to my Daughter.