Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tastiest meal I've ever cooked

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
2-bone pork chops, peach wood smoked beans, mashed taters with sour cream and chives. Everything just came together tonight. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking plate brother!

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thank you @bgebrent
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Nailed it! How'd you cook the pork chops? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Stacked chops with a great sear. Check. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@minniemoh  that is a great looking plat - chops look as good as I've seen.  

Phoenix 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You win!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Bravo! Love the caramelization. Who doesn't love beans?
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks incredible. Maillard paid you a visit on this one. 

Hard to compete with the feeling resulting from a great cook. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow... that is solid... chops one of my favorites!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Awesome. What was your final IT?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That recipe @The Cen-Tex Smoker posted awhile a go is one of our favorites and looks like you nailed it. Great looking meal
    Greensboro, NC
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Beauty!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Bravo!!! That looks just wonderful.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    That looks delicious. Great plated picture.

Beans recipe?

Got to lookup up  @Cen_Tex_Smoker's honey mustard glaze
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• minniemoh
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments. This is not a typical Thursday night kind of cook for us. My nephew came to town and I usually try to feed him well when he comes. He loves to eat brisket here but I didn't have the time to go that route. He was pretty happy after he got done. The slab he ate was about 3" thick. I wish I had taken more pictures.

I have used the honey mustard glaze on whole rack of pork for the last few years but have never seared. On previous cook I just went indirect at 350 and glazed a few times near the end. The glaze, then sear, then glaze again was a real game changer on this pork (I believe this is what @Cen_Tex_Smoker was saying to do all along!) He's right! Also, I really like what the splash of vanilla porter added to the glaze. I did not brine as the Costco racks come in a solution.

I didn't check the final IT but I don't seem to get much carryover cooking for some reason. (took nearly 2 hrs to get to 140 IT as they were around 3" thick) Also, they rested about 10 min. while I while I was getting the taters ready. The sear was quick and down low on the spider and cast iron grate. Egg temp was about 600 so it was MUCH hotter down low. I had the grate below the pizza stone for the whole cook so it was definitely nice and hot. My best guess is they stayed in the 140-145 final IT - they were no where near 150. JUICY!

For the beans, I started with this recipe and tweaked it a bit. I added Ruhlman cured bacon (the over-smoked end pieces and trimmings from a recent batch). Added 1/2 jalapeno without seeds and chopped fine (next time I'll add at least a whole one), used a little less brown sugar, and fried the bacon to about half way done. Then I sauteed the onions in the bacon drippings. I used heavy peach wood smoke at 325-350 for about 3 hours and they got a lot thicker than on previous cooks. This bean recipe is very sweet so the addition of more salty bacon and jalapeno really complimented in my opinion.

Baked Beans Recipe - http://www.sweetlittlebluebird.com/2016/04/anastasias-best-ever-baked-beans.html

I didn't take any pics of the beans last night but here's a shot of a previous batch for reference. Frying the bacon made a difference - it is not fried in the picture as this was a batch I made last summer.

eggAddict from MN!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    A. Maze. Ing.  I love the idea of smoking them, then searing.  Gotta do this!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Man o' man.  Looks excellent.
    Toronto ON