Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I swear, it never got over 650 dome temp (4 pics)

Options
Sandbagger
Sandbagger Posts: 977
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
121_2116.jpg
<p />I cooked three ribeyes tonight. To say the least it was interesting and rather entertaining. I cooked em blackened style, down in the fire ring with the bayou classic double sided griddle (less handles). The sear lasted maybe 3 minutes max. The steaks were good with both sides looking similar. So, what's up with all the smoke, maybe the pan was too hot, but it is blackened style......T[p]121_2117.jpg[p]121_2119.jpg[p]121_2123.jpg[p]Almost forgot, that is dizzy pig's raising the steaks on em.....

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Man o man, everything in Texas is big, including the sear smoke.
    Your having fun, up wind I hope. he he
    Yeah, Raising the Steaks is great stuff.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    steaks look great. ..all that gray smoke looks like your egg just needed a good cleaning. .. after coming back from competition last weekend (and having done a bunch of pork butt and brisket low and slo) , i ran mine up to about 600 degrees. ..that thick gray smoke lasted a good 30 minutes before all the grease build-up had finished burning off. .. .i was surprised the fire dept. didn't come for a visit ... [p]word of warning. .. if you are getting thick smoke like that out of 500 - 600 degree egg, be very, VERY careful about opening the dome. . .even with multiple burps, when the oxygen gets in there, that gray smoke turns into ball of burning napalm faster than you can blink. ...biggest back flash i've ever encountered ... .so, leave the dome closed at 600 until the gray smoke is completely done, no matter how long it takes. ...

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Great shot of the smoke with the sun peaking through.[p]Steaks look good too.[p]Ed

• Sandbagger
    Options
    121_2121.jpg
    <p />Edintx, I am just glad the neighbors across the street were not home. Last week, they just had the trim on their house painted. Although I'm sure the smoke had no affect on it, it would take a six pack to explain that to him. T

• Sandbagger
    Options
    121_2115.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome, the cleaning makes since, but the smoke did not start until the ribeyes hit the griddle. I may need to run another test this weekend, just to make sure. I was extremely careful in opening the egg. I like my beard. [p]You got the answers. That is why; you are the all exalted when it comes to the egg. [p]Have a good week. T[p]
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    ClayQ, It's easy to be up wind, when your making smoke, LOL. I wonder if raising the steaks, spices in general, has a temperature threshold. I'll need to ask. T

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    You better dial 9-1 and get ready to hit the other 1 next time. Thems some massive flames. I just love a good ribeye.[p]Mike

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I had the fire dept. at my house last weekend doing exactly what Max was talking about below. A good 600* plus burn until smoke was clean, it took a good 45 minutes. I wish I had taken some pictures. It was just before dark, so some neighbors saw the smoke rolling through the trees, and it was a good 2 hours before I saw several very hot and tired firefighters cruising through the neighborhood on foot looking for a fire. Well, that took a little explaining, but they were very interested in the egg, and I offered to cook up some grub for them for their troubles and run it up to the fire dept., but they declined. Now I have a nice clean egg and all is well in the hood(both hoods for that matter)
    Seth