Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ in St Louis - need a rec

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I'm in St Louis this week. Going to Hendricks in St Charles tonight (I didn't set it up) but it got me wondering if I should try to seek out the best tomorrow. 
Any suggestions as to what is "the best"?
Thanks 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not sure about best BBQ, but I would definitely recommend taking a cab to "The Hill" and get some Italian.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Pappy's downtown, Bogart's in Soulard (they are owned by the same people, slightly different menus). Sugar Fire is really good, and I think has a location in St Charles if you are staying out that way. Haven't been to Salt+Smoke yet, but I hear good things. 
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I'm going to hit Sugar Fire Monday.
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    I saw a place on Food Network the other day called The Capitalist Pig. It's in an old jail downtown, and the tables are actually set inside the old cells. The food looked good on TV. Anyone actually been there and can give it a thumbs up or down?
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I went to Pappy's last time I was in St. Louis. We thought it was excellent. The best ribs I have ever had, in a restaurant. It is definitely worth a try.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Conman64
    Conman64 Posts: 16
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Pappy's ribs are excellent, I have not been impressed with the rest of the menu. For Brisket go to Sugarfire, they also have great sides.
  • lbbf
    lbbf Posts: 33
    Options
    Pappy's ribs are awesome. Their sides not so much.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sugarfire is good for restaurant BBQ, and is the closest to STL style.  Get the brisket or one of their crazy sandwiches.  Sides are great.  I don't understand the hype about Pappy's and Bogart's, but they're not STL style.  Like anywhere, if you're used to the BGE, restaurant BBQ will never be worth it.  

There are plenty of other really great restaurants in STL I would hit before BBQ.  

If you're in St. Charles and like Greek food, Spiros is one of my favorites.  Shrimp stuffed filet or the lamb chops & scallops.  Get the flaming cheese appetizer and salad too.  If you go there for lunch, the gyro salad isn't on the menu, but they'll make it for you.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

There are plenty of other really great restaurants in STL I would hit before BBQ.  

Some great little Italian places on the hill.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    To close. Hendricks was ok at best. Far from great. I had the brisket which was sliced thin and no real discernible smoke ring, tasted good but just left me wanting and the smoked sausage. The sausage was really good. Nice snap and tasted nice. 
    Had cheesy grits which were nice and corn casserole which was dry. 
    I didn't bother with a picture. It was a work event and since I'm the boss, I sort of had to try to look professional.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I know it's not St. Louis , but close, isn't there a famous place on the Illinois side? Mike Mills or something? Old school competition guy?