Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KFC

Options
Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
Korean Fried Chicken, that is.  My wife lived in Korea for six months (before I met her) so I decided to do up a Korean feast on the weekend. No Egg involved, sorry to report.  But it was phenomenal and so I thought I would share the recipe I used and the finished product.  Served with jasmine rice, naturally, along with kimchee pancakes and dipping sauce.

Pancakes: https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-pancakes-kimchi-buchimgae/ 
Chicken and rice cakes: https://mykoreankitchen.com/korean-style-popcorn-chicken/ 
Toronto ON

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Oh dude that's awesome! That could be cooked on a hood of a car for all I care. Looks fantastic 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

id eat a plate

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Man, I just finished breakfast and now I'm hungry. Great looking chow!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Simcan
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Fun cook and good to get out of the usual routine.
    Toronto ON
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I really enjoy Korean Q, that is as good as any I have seen anywhere. Thank you for posting. What part of Korea may I ask?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Another one to add to the "must do" list.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Simcan
    Options
    @YukonRon she was in Ulsan. The little rice cakes you see in the picture were a fun thing to discover. Hard to describe the texture other than crispy and chewy.  Unlike anything else I have tried.  Apparently it is a common street food and kid's snack there.
    Toronto ON
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very cool area. Beautiful mountains and seashore. Ever make it to the sunrise?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Nice!

We love Korean food, and I have tried a few  Korean recipes. We really like the heat that some dishes have, and the contrasting textures of different items eaten together.

www.seonkyounglongest.com has some good recipes (IMO). She has a YouTube channel which shows you how to cook many of her recipes.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Simcan, thank you. My son gave it a 10 when his sarcasm normally allows him to give me a 3 rating. I found it to be great as well. The only thing I would do is double the amount of sauce as we ran out before the chicken was finished as we did it in batches. It was as better than expected. Thank you. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Might be the best cook I've seen in a long time.  No way I could do that cook.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great looking dish
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Simcan
    Options
    Appreciate all the enthusiasm and feedback.  I did not post pictures of the kimchee pancakes but they were excellent too, and extremely easy to make.  Just 2.5 cups flour and 2.5 cups water, and two cups of kimchee (with juice).  Stir and cook.

@YukonRon, I have not actually been to Korea.  But my wife agreed with you on the appeal of the area! @caliking, I will check out your link...there are so many resources these days for so many kinds of cuisine.  Next on my list is authentic pad thai, and I have also been learning how to make sourdough bread.

@Moleman, glad you tried it and that it worked out for you.  I doubled the recipe (including chicken and rice cakes) when I made it and like you I found the sauce was tight...it looked like there would not be enough, but I kept stirring it up and literally every drop made it on to the chicken and rice cakes with none to spare, but it was perfect.

@Hub did you check out the recipe? For sure you could do it.  Deep frying is a bit of a pain but apart from that it is dead easy.  Give it a try.
    Toronto ON
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Damn that looks amazing. I now have my dinnner menu for tonight. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Nice looking meal. 
    Here is a couple Korean dishs we eggjoy!

Beef/noodles:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1381895&catid=1

Chicken, Thighs, Skewered, Dakkochi, Korean, Florida Mini Fest '14

Dakkochi is a Korean street food. Skewered chicken cooked over charcoal.  Did this for the Florida Mini Fest 2014.

INGREDIENT:
    5 Lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
    MARINADE:
    4 Tbs gochujang
    ½ cup sake
    3 cloves garlic (grated)
    2-3 Tbs Ginger, Grated, Fresh
    1/2 small onion (grated)
    1/2 Asian or Bartlett pear (grated)
    2/3 cup soy sauce
    1 Tbs sesame oil
    1 Tbs brown sugar
    1/2 Bunch Scallions, green onions (chopped)
    BASTING SAUCE
    3 Tbs tomato ketchup
    6 Tbs Sake
    3 Tbs chilli flakes
    3 Tbs gochujang
    6 Tbs soy sauce
    4 Tbs brown sugar
    2 Tbs sesame seeds
    1 Tbs parsley
    3 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper, (regular course ground black will do).
    2-3 Tbs Sesame oil.
    Garnish:
    White Sesame Seeds
    Scallions, diced into 1/8" pieces.

PROCEDURE:

1. Took 5 #'s (18 thigh pieces) of Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into apprx 1" pieces and placed in marinade in refrigerator overnight.

2. Yield was 26- 6" sticks of 4-5 pieces each. Could have added onion pieces or other , bell pepper pieces. cherry tomatoes or whatever you may want to do.

3. Cooked on BGE 350F until internal temp was 165F-170
    F. One batch was indirect and took 25 minues or so.  The other batch was direct and took less time.  Turned and basted every 5-10 minutes.

4. Served as an appetizer with toothpicks, but could just as easily do with veggies/rice for a main meal.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Main Dish, Poultry

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2014/11/01**
    Web Page: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195502

Author Notes
    A batch of basting sauce did about 10-15 sticks, depending on how often and how much.

Gochujang is a savory and pungent fermented Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and salt. Traditionally, it has been naturally fermented over years in large earthen pots outdoors, more often on an elevated stone platform, called jangdokdae  in the backyard.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180764/wow-this-is-some-recipe#latest

Richard Fl--I would use less of the chile paste until you get used to the HEAT.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Did this tonight minus the rice cakes. F.T.W.  Thanks for posting. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    That looks terrific!!! Also, I must comment on the Santa Clause Christmas boxers or pajamas some is wearing in the background , in March. Even funnier to me because I found at least 4 stray Christmas books , decorations etc this week that I put up today. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah buddy! Late to the show, but glad I made it here. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I must say, I was worried about kimchi pancakes. Holy shît!  I was sooooo wrong. 
  • Simcan
    Options
    @theyolksonyou worried in what way? That they would be difficult or that they would not taste good? Either way, I am sure you found out that they are easy and delicious! 
    Toronto ON
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I was worried about taste. Never eaten much kimchi. They were definitely easy I did it on the blackstone all in one batch. They were fantastic. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Great looking meal. Ate a lot of Korean BBQ when in China. I will have to try this one, as well.

Thanks for posting.

DD

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Outstanding. Going to the top of my next got todo list 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.