Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What, exactly, is pulled pork?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to Q. I have been reading this and other forums for several weeks and have learned a lot. Many references are made to meats, tools, and procedures that I do not understand and, thus am in the dark, out lunch, half a deck, not withit. Would someone please expound on "pulled pork". What cut of pork is it? What is meant by pulled (pull it apart?) How do you serve it and with what?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Florida,
    you'll get many responses I am sure. Pulled pork has a long history, and is done different ways around the country....some others can fill you in on this. Not being a whole hog kind of group here, we usually use the shoulder section of the pig. You can purchase a whole shoulder, but most use the "Boston Butt", or "shoulder blade roast", which is the upper part of the shoulder. The "picnic", which is the lower part of the shoulder has a thick skin wrapped around it, but also makes very good pulled pork. They usually range in weight from 4-9 pounds[p]To get to the pullable stage, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 hours a pound at 225-250 is needed. Once it reaches 185-200 internal degrees, it pretty much falls apart, and can be "pulled" into shreds or chunks, and served on a plain white bun with barbecue sauce....and maybe some slaw. Leftovers make a killer pizza topping, and are also excellent in fired rice.[p]Lo/slow cooked pulled pork is an unforgettable experience, and anyone who eats pork and has a smoker needs to experience it.[p]Hope that helps a tad.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Florida,[p]If you live in an area that has a Sam's club or a Bj's wholesale you will be able to find Boston Butts at a good price. I would suggest using a dry rub (i prefer my slap yo mama butt rub in the newly submitted recipe section) and put er on indirect heat and enjoy the day smoking. Apple wood is a great complement to boston butts as is hickory. It is worth doing if you have never tried this before.[p]tember
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Florida,[p]JJ hit it right. Pulled Pork (PP) is some good stuff, and is not difficult to prepare (just takes time). I will make a 4-5 lb boston butt and have lunch and snacks for a week! When refriderated, PP is great in the microwave![p]Smokey

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    xxfest014.jpg
    <p />Florida,[p] Here is one way of "pulling" the pork! Serve it on plain white buns with coleslaw and sauce . . .[p]MikeO
  • SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    Florida,
    The simple answer is slow cooked hog meat. The hog meat is slow cooked till it can be pulled apart. Depending on the region, (or person you talk to), the meat is "whole hog", "Boston Butt", "shoulder", "picnic", etc. A lot of people on the BGE forum use a Boston Butt (or butt for short) due to the limited surface area (I don't think a whole hog will fit).
    You can serve PP with anything and I do mean anything. Brunswick stew, cole slaw, bar-b-que slaw, tater chips, baked beans, corn bread, cheap white bread, etc. What ever flips your trigger.
    SloMo[p]

• Scott S
    Scott S Posts: 24
    Options
    SloMo,
    HEY MO! dont forget the BEER.

sc sc scott

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    Scott S,
    Oops!