Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garden Thread #2

Options
124»

Comments

• annjamaican
    annjamaican Posts: 152
    Options
    Apart from the deer eating all my new strawberry plantings, I haven't done too badly this year. My corn is still only a couple feet high but that's typical for this area. Garlic and onions are ready to be harvested, so far I've eaten potatoes, peas, chard, turnips and their greens from my garden. Our native blackberries are also all over the place, lots of pies in my future.   
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    My zucchini and squash fizzled out again this year. Okra has been doing well. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    My zucchini and squash fizzled out again this year. Okra has been doing well. 

If you lift the stem at bottom up where is lays in dirt I bet there is a dust looking dropping around it. This is vine borers. I consider myself an above average gardeners and squash never succeed here. You can apply seven dust next year and it will help 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Apart from the deer eating all my new strawberry plantings, I haven't done too badly this year. My corn is still only a couple feet high but that's typical for this area. Garlic and onions are ready to be harvested, so far I've eaten potatoes, peas, chard, turnips and their greens from my garden. Our native blackberries are also all over the place, lots of pies in my future.   
    I ate a whole pint of blackberries today. Love them. Would be in heaven with those growing here
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited August 2016
    Options
    my garden was raided by some kids last weekend, they just took a few. maybe they were looking for a pokeman in there, im sure they were not following the age old tradition of garden raids i grew up with as a kid
    =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited August 2016
    Options

Decided to do just cukes and tomatoes (30 plants) this year. Rabbits were hitting the fruit, so I ran my first fence line with rabbit fencing. Poured my first bag of cement. Squirrels decided they were in a Pixar movie, and were grenading tomatoes over the fence to the rabbits. Bastards. A friend owns an industrial fabrics plant and wove me a totally kickass garden net. Rated to hold up in direct sunlight for years. 

We enjoy giving them away, almost as much as we do eating them. 

Roo Roo for scale. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options

Tried and failed all last year but I finally have my first Carolina reaper pod

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    @Bshults1 that looks gnarly! You should eat it whole when its ripe. 

How does one have success with the super hots? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @chubbs hope you are having a great summer!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Chubbs
    Options
    @chubbs hope you are having a great summer!
    Thanks bud you too. Been slammed with a new job and travel. Also out of town nearly every weekend these days. Hope all is well with you too
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options

I've started these from seed two years in a row.  The key to success for me this year was just starting them a lot earlier than last.  I planted this one back in February and used a simple shop light to start it in my garage for the first couple of months.  I had 3 plants, two of which I put in pots and 1 I put in a raised planter box.  The one I put in the planter box is about twice the size of the potted ones.  I think it just gets so hot here in oklahoma that the potted ones can't keep the roots cool enough to grow efficiently.  But still they seem very fickle.  I have other peppers that are producing faster than I can keep up with.  This plant produces a ton of flowers but they always drop.  It officially has a grand total of 2 peppers now.  I'm hoping for a larger haul when the weather gets out of the 100's
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Bshults1 said:

I've started these from seed two years in a row.  The key to success for me this year was just starting them a lot earlier than last.  I planted this one back in February and used a simple shop light to start it in my garage for the first couple of months.  I had 3 plants, two of which I put in pots and 1 I put in a raised planter box.  The one I put in the planter box is about twice the size of the potted ones.  I think it just gets so hot here in oklahoma that the potted ones can't keep the roots cool enough to grow efficiently.  But still they seem very fickle.  I have other peppers that are producing faster than I can keep up with.  This plant produces a ton of flowers but they always drop.  It officially has a grand total of 2 peppers now.  I'm hoping for a larger haul when the weather gets out of the 100's
    Top the pepper plants and your yields will increase
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Wow you guys have great setups!!   I got herbs & tomato again this year . . need to research how to best harvest each plant, to keep production going best.  EX: I have only used dill once, so is it too long/awkward bc I shoud have harvested earlier?  And are my tomatoes way too long? critique me please . . thank you in advance!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    finally getting somw quality tomatoes, planted 6 varieties this year, old german wins out =) picked one this weekend at 7 inches across, looked likes a baby pumpkin. the ones on the right are jet star, mddle top are mountain fresh, the yellow/ light orange are old germans. the bottom are san marzano(have enough to start canning those, the plants are loaded and near 10 feet tall now) B)

fukahwee maine

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    very nice looking harvest @fishlessman . . 10 feet tall and stable on their own?  For some reason mine are so weak and need to keep adding wood stakes to stabilize.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    NDG said:
    very nice looking harvest @fishlessman . . 10 feet tall and stable on their own?  For some reason mine are so weak and need to keep adding wood stakes to stabilize.
    they are in cages up 4 feet, then ive been threading them up thru the cucumber trellis thing i made with maple sapplings. i put the saplings up the cages as well, stripped the leaves off the branches and hang the marzano clusters over the branches =) if i knew they would have grown this tall i would have planted them next to the beach roses and laid them over those. the supersonic maters were supposed to do that but they topped out at 4 to 5 feet.

this was the makeshift trellis, i added tomatoes the week after this pic, the san marzanos are over the top of this now

fukahwee maine

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Family health issues took precedence over any gardening hopes we had this year. Besides, last year, the heat took everything out before the end of July except the peppers. This is the best we could do this year. The good news is that we can grow them all year long. These are in the kitchen and we have a lot more growing in the bonus room. We should have ripe tomatoes in a few weeks, fingers crossed.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • fishlessman
    edited November 2016
    Options
    garlic just planted and dug up some horseradish. still have the cranberries to pick. seasons almost over =)

where did everybody go

3 rows of 38 russian and german reds, what am i going to do with 114 heads of garlic =)

fukahwee maine

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited November 2016
    Options

@fishlessman

Garlic bread

Garlic Butter

Roasted garlic (freezes well)

Garlic pickles

Pickled garlic

Garlic bacon

40 clove roasted chicken

Garlic soup

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Got the onion bunches in the ground this week. If I can keep the rabbits away I will be happy to see these take off. Getting ready to start my tomato and pepper seeds indoors. Look forward toward to a great year
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well my 3 varieties of tomatoes and my Thai Hot peppers are up and under grow lights  in my spare room. About another 5 weeks before I think about putting them in the ground. I had better plow the leaf mulch into the soil before then. I'll also plant three types of sweet potatoes and with orange or red watermelons. All that is growing there now is sweet onions to be harvested in June.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Like you, onions in ground.  Also built a potato bed, potatoes in ground next weekend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We don't grow 'in the ground' stuff here as the ground is heavy clay and sets to concrete in the summer. Lots of maintenance free stuff like apples, plums, rhubarb, blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries.  Actual growing is confined to the greenhouse and I stick to tomatoes and chillis. Beef, cherry and plum tomatoes and as big a variety of chillis as I can fit in. It's not a warm climate here in Northern England, most stuff doesn't take off till later in the year even in the greenhouse. Going to use some bubble wrap for insulation early this year to try and move things along.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Like you, onions in ground.  Also built a potato bed, potatoes in ground next weekend.
    Likewise. Kennebec and Yukon gold going in my potato tubs next weekend. Good luck!
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    The weather for the entire month of February has been unseasonably warm. Our Bradford pears have blooms and leaves already. However, it looks like our regular weather will return for March. I have been so tempted to plant some cucumbers in the Earthboxes, but I am glad I resisted the urge. Patience grasshopper.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Eoin
    Options
    Got the geenhouse cleaned out, broken glass replaced and a few bags of manure and a big bag of moss peat dug in. Left a thyme plant in the bed, self seeded parsley in the path and mint in the bucket. Chilli seeds ordered last night as well, toms waiting to be planted.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Eoin said:I
    Got the geenhouse cleaned out, broken glass replaced and a few bags of manure and a big bag of moss peat dug in. Left a thyme plant in the bed, self seeded parsley in the path and mint in the bucket. Chilli seeds ordered last night as well, toms waiting to be planted.

Like the chicken.  Any more pics of your greenhouse? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eoin
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Eoin said:I

Like the chicken.  Any more pics of your greenhouse? 
    He's the cockrel, Leonard. There's a lot of escaping going on at tue moment and I overlook it because their patch is a bit muddy. Once things dry out a bit there will be a bit of wing clipping to be done.

Will get a few pics tomorrow when it's light.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Cut a big ass wisteria vine that was choking my fig tree. Figured I could use the thick pieces of the vine so my 4 year old "helped" me make a trellis for my pea container today. Fun little project
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Chubbs being as hiw this site now backs up threads so far every time you open them, would you think about starting a new one? I'm making a go at it this year. Even have hop plants on order.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.