Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs and a TON of Oak

Options
My parents had two oaks taken off their property and I have been trying to split it up for like 2 weeks. 

Answer? Invite people over for beef ribs. And don't start them until 3:30 and invite them over at 5. 

Beef ribs with salt, pepper, garlic and a little Carnivore Black indirect for 2 hours then braised in cooked down onions, beef stock and burgundy for another 2. 

Served with Mac and cheese and jalapeño cole slaw.

And all the wood is split and I am drying some smaller pieces to split again for the Egg. (As I sit in the VA waiting on a tetanus shot from a rusty pallet nail)

@bgebrent I was going to go with beer but I went to the fridge and there wasn't anything there. I figured a type of French onion soup would play. A little strong on the marrow flavor in the leftover soup but it worked for the ribs. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My first concern is that you had no beer in your fridge  ;).  Ribs and sides look great!  How did you like them with the braise?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I think it's the answer. Less chewy. Everything still broke down as it should have and it gave it another level of flavor depth. 

(And this is a bourbon house. If there is beer it usually means my BIL has been around)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Did someone say beer?  I have been known to make emergency deliveries!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Did someone say beer?  I have been known to make emergency deliveries!
    Counting on you come May ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Gotta agree with @bgebrent here.  Beer is the long distance beverage for proper adult supervisory oversight.  If I were to exchange with bourbon, I would never see the finish-line.
    Bourbon is the rocket fuel of choice however.
    Regardless, the ribs look great and that is quite a load of split oak right there.  Well played with the timing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Good looking rick of wood and a bit devious method for splitting.  Smart thinking.  For smoking wood,  I have been sawing off 2-3" thick slabs.  Then splitting them into chunks with a hatchet.  Makes nice size smoking pieces and it's easy splitting especially if the slabs have seasoned first.   

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @FarmerTom thanks for the advice. I didn't have it in my bones to split one more piece of wood today...but I will add it to the list. I need a new generic hatchet. The only one I have since we moved is my tactical tomahawk from deployment...not really sure busting up smoke wood is its ideal purpose. 

@lousubcap it hits everyone different. My buddy is a beer guy and his wife will kill him if he drinks bourbon when he comes over. Just can't figure out how to pace. 

Fortunately I came from Scottish and Indian blood with southern roots so pacing yourself means mixing with sweet tea  ;)

South of Nashville, TN