Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why 200* for pulled pork?

Options
GWW
GWW Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious why 200* for pork butts seems to be the magic number? I have cooked many butts on different cooking equipment and have always pulled them at 185*... it shredded like butter! And if you beleive what pure Willingham and Smoke & Spice say...it works! Is it the dynamics of the EGG, or does the extra 15* make that much difference? hope I dont get scoffed right out of the forum!
greg

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    gww,
    There is no magic number! I think a lot depends on how long the butt spends in the tenderizing stage of the cook...the plateau. I usually do a fork test at 185, and often it is ready to pull. Sometimes it needs higher temps for the right pull. Much depends on the cooking temps, the particular piece of meat, and the time spent in the plateau. IMO there is no "magic" anything in Q. What works, works. And everyone has s different way of getting to the possibly single magic thing about Q....the eating.[p]No scoffing here!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Plus the extra time to go up to 195-200 internal seems like it gives the butt more time to render more fat and become as tender as it can be. Many folks who slice pork do it at 185 so it has a little firmness left in it. I agree with you, don't fixate on 200 deg --- heck, maybe 205 would be better?[p]Tim
  • GWW
    GWW Posts: 43
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Phew...didn't think my taste buds have been lying to me all this time!..that extra 15* sometimes would require way to much patience when people are standing around drooling! .. think I will let the next one go to 200*, just to check..[p]yum!