Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE really falling behind?

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Kill Joy..seems bout right. Innovative :confused: Or grasping at straws?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    KJ and BGE are both luxury purchases here with high prices and non existent discounts. We were lucky to have a hefty staff discount from a major department store when buying our XL, full price was eye watering.

Neither will sell in big volumes on this side of the pond until the pricing is more realistic.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Primo has the same divide and conquer as kj right? 
    It's oval and far superior for two zone cooking. Far superior. 
    If I was going to get a non-Cadillac/non-egg kamado, I'd do Primo first. 
    Or you could buy the weber summit which is preferred over them all including Kamado Kamado by some. Very versatile, easy to use, light weight, efficient, built in ignition, won't break, .........

Truth is they are all real nice. I don't see anything that KJ has done as a big deal personally. The rotis was purchased from an egg guy who like nearly every single innovation in the industry, took the time to actuallly develop something.  Every innovation has been born out of the egg market and therefore driven by BGE. The others are just parasites. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Weeeell, BGE could actually fix their gasket? Maybe move production to the US, if Primo can do it and make a profit then so could BGE.
    The gasket issue was an issue years ago when they had these felt like gaskets. It's largely a canard these days. Btw, I have an old style one one my large. Over 12 years now. Looks real bad, but stilll seals. Problem? I think no. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

HeavyG said:
    If I was going to get a non-Cadillac/non-egg kamado, I'd do Primo first. 
    I think we are on the same page. If I understand you correctly you are saying the BGE is Cadillac of Kamado's. Am I right?
    No, more like the F150. Kamodo Kamado would be the Caddy.
    The Komodo's would be the Bentley's of the kamado world.

I'd agree the BGE is the F150.

I'd put the KJ's as a Toyota and the Primos as a Nissan.

Not sure where all the half dozen or so other kamado makers would fit.
    Not sure what the new sales are like, but a couple years ago BGE was miles ahead, followed by Primo and then KJ pretty far behind Primo
  • distanceman
    Options
    Not sure what the new sales are like, but a couple years ago BGE was miles ahead, followed by Primo and then KJ pretty far behind Primo
    I read a few months ago where the KJ owner said BGE outsells KJ 4 to 1. I've looked extensively at the Primo as well. It seems they had some quality control issues--or lids falling off--and I didn't get the impression their customer service was top notch.

I move around often, so having a solid dealer network (BGE) or the ability to ship free to my door (KJ) is important. Primo you pay for shipping, which I assume can get expensive depending on how many issues you end up having. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I read a few months ago where the KJ owner said BGE outsells KJ 4 to 1. I've looked extensively at the Primo as well. It seems they had some quality control issues--or lids falling off--and I didn't get the impression their customer service was top notch.

I move around often, so having a solid dealer network (BGE) or the ability to ship free to my door (KJ) is important. Primo you pay for shipping, which I assume can get expensive depending on how many issues you end up having. 
    Haven't experienced any quality issues selling them for nearly ten years. Zero. The warranty is a bit more trouble due to the smaller network issue you mentioned. That said, you might have a firebox issue every 5-10 years I suppose. Egg charges for shipping too, but with the network, we get around it by incorporating them into our bi monthly shipment schedule. Primo is definitely not as easy to deal with. Not that they are bad, but it might cost you 80 bucks every ten years. 
  • distanceman
    Options
    Haven't experienced any quality issues selling them for nearly ten years. Zero. The warranty is a bit more trouble due to the smaller network issue you mentioned. That said, you might have a firebox issue every 5-10 years I suppose. Egg charges for shipping too, but with the network, we get around it by incorporating them into our bi monthly shipment schedule. Primo is definitely not as easy to deal with. Not that they are bad, but it might cost you 80 bucks every ten years. 
    Thanks, that is a fair point...I think each one has its own pros/cons. I really like that Primo is made in America--I would bust out a red MAGA hat if I bought Primo. 

Do you think the oval design for indirect is really that much of a difference maker? It seems like if you used the ang-l brackets from CGS in an XLBGE, that would get you pretty far away from the heat for indirect. Or does it also have to do w/the actual oval design for airflow, not just distance? 
    Located Middle GA

• pgprescott
    Options
    Thanks, that is a fair point...I think each one has its own pros/cons. I really like that Primo is made in America--I would bust out a red MAGA hat if I bought Primo. 

Do you think the oval design for indirect is really that much of a difference maker? It seems like if you used the ang-l brackets from CGS in an XLBGE, that would get you pretty far away from the heat for indirect. Or does it also have to do w/the actual oval design for airflow, not just distance? 
    I think two zone cooking is a bit overrated for Kamado cooking, personally. However, the primo is big enough to cook several different things in different zones and the same time. It's my go to for that type of cooking.  It's a different league in that regard. Two zone on BGE is kinda ok, but not really it's strong suit. You can divide the coal, add or subtract deflector plates etc. it's on another level than BGE or KJ. I would have to look, but the primo is like 30" wide. Idk
  • Ag83
    Ag83 Posts: 34
    Options
    but the primo is like 30" wide. Idk
    25" (by 19" deep).
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Egg charges for shipping too, but with the network, we get around it by incorporating them into our bi monthly shipment schedule. Primo is definitely not as easy to deal with. Not that they are bad, but it might cost you 80 bucks every ten years. 
    For the record none of them charge shipping. The shipping service does this. I've NEVER paid for shipping with BGE. Because likewise my dealer places their warranty claims in with their "weekly" regular orders so it's not a SPECIAL ORDER. I'd expect to pay otherwise with any of them whether it be BGE, Primo, Grill Dome, Webber, KJ etc. They don't really "get around shipping" though it's just a wash and they do it for the customer. 
    We've all heard the horror stories of the latter and you're gonna run into that if dealing with a low volume retail location. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Egg charges for shipping too, but with the network, we get around it by incorporating them into our bi monthly shipment schedule. Primo is definitely not as easy to deal with. Not that they are bad, but it might cost you 80 bucks every ten years. 
    For the record none of them charge shipping. The shipping service does this. I've NEVER paid for shipping with BGE. Because likewise my dealer places their warranty claims in with their "weekly" regular orders so it's not a SPECIAL ORDER. I'd expect to pay otherwise with any of them whether it be BGE, Primo, Grill Dome, Webber, KJ etc. They don't really "get around shipping" though it's just a wash and they do it for the customer. 
    We've all heard the horror stories of the latter and you're gonna run into that if dealing with a low volume retail location. 

the two dealers in my area do 1-2 orders a year, I had to wait 4 months for my parts.  As a matter of fact the only reason my dealer put an order in (he sold zero eggs last year) was because there were so many warranty claims.  I am appreciative that he put in an order so all of us with warranty claims would not have to pay for shipping.  I'm super jealous that your dealer puts in weekly orders.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    ... driven by BGE. The others are just parasites. 
    Yeah... cuz we all know that BGE actually invented green kamado cookers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    It's all going to change coming in late 2017 with the release of the Big Green Sous Vide Griddle
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Perhaps KJ has blown past the BGE. It seems they have. I still like the BGE and the lifestyle it brings. I have not mastered it to the exactness I want, and I enjoy the process. I drive a Ford, so I am used to working on old tech, and finding ways to deal with it. I am ok with my two BGEs, and remain proud to have them, as I am my Ford Excursion, beat up and now old enough to buy Alcohol.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I'm lucky living in Altanta where both BGE and KJ are located.  There are dealers within 15 miles from my house as well as at least 10-12 on the way to my office.  That is the strong point of BGE; dealer saturation is the biggest plus I see.  I know of 1 KJ dealer on the south-side of Atlanta where I live, and its an hour drive away - about equidistant as their HQ.

Yes, KJ does have a lot more "things" that are in their arsenal.  But I think the aftermarket has much better innovation; its the users that see a better way to do something and they do it.

Am I interested in what KJ has to offer?  Yes.  Yes I am.  I'm going to be going to their place in a few weeks to check out their outfit.  Might get a Jr. for the daughter to cook on, might get a MM or a Small Egg for her instead.....  All depends on what I see and feel.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Where would the Kamado market be without Ed and the community of eggheads he helped cultivate? They would be clay cookers used by no one.  You just like to argue. 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm part of the KJ Facebook group. Ive seen a couple people say they sold their bge's and got KJs. I cant see how there could that much of a difference. Some also hate on bge's. I've also heard you can have one drop shipped to any Ace hardware. Im sure they are taking away some business. I've got a older friend that rides Harley Davidsons. I heard him once say "it doesn't matter what you ride as long as your in the wind". 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Where would the Kamado market be without Ed and the community of eggheads he helped cultivate? They would be clay cookers used by no one.  You just like to argue. 

I have personal experience with kamados starting in the 1960's when I lived in Japan for four years and am well aware of their movement into the US and how/why BGE got their start.

I agree that BGE is almost solely responsible for growing the population of kamado users in the US over the last few decades. They have certainly established themselves in the marketplace as THE kamado that most people may be aware of. For many years they were essentially free from competition.

Given their dominance in the marketplace, and the fact that until recent years many folks were not really aware of other brands of kamados, it seems a lot of folks (in my experience at least) are under the mistaken impression that BGE invented the kamado cooker and that all the others are just ripoffs, or copycats, or inferior lesser products.

Some even call other brands parasites. I'm sure you're aware that in many cases parasites actually kill off their host organism. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    I was just about to sell my egg and try and get a kj  shipped to my Ace.  If u look at the Ace website the KJ classic  and big joe aren't available  right now. I think there gearing up to offer the new models.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • HeavyG
    Options
    g37 said:
    I was just about to sell my egg and try and get a kj  shipped to my Ace.  If u look at the Ace website the KJ classic  and big joe aren't available  right now. I think there gearing up to offer the new models.  
    Last I heard the new models were going to be released into the wild the middle of March.

• Trainhorns
    Options
    Hey newbie here. After some research I just purchased an XL BGE. At the end of the day if it does what you want ??????? 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

I have personal experience with kamados starting in the 1960's when I lived in Japan for four years and am well aware of their movement into the US and how/why BGE got their start.

I agree that BGE is almost solely responsible for growing the population of kamado users in the US over the last few decades. They have certainly established themselves in the marketplace as THE kamado that most people may be aware of. For many years they were essentially free from competition.

Given their dominance in the marketplace, and the fact that until recent years many folks were not really aware of other brands of kamados, it seems a lot of folks (in my experience at least) are under the mistaken impression that BGE invented the kamado cooker and that all the others are just ripoffs, or copycats, or inferior lesser products.

Some even call other brands parasites. I'm sure you're aware that in many cases parasites actually kill off their host organism. :)

I was just being provocative. I mean no disrespect to you or your buddy. Good luck with the killing them off. 
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I started with a M Christmas of 2013.  Love cooking on it, and it's fine for my wife and I or a couple more.  But unlike a few really innovative eggers on here, I wasn't able to cook as much as I wanted for larger gatherings.  So I saved and got a XL after Christmas of 2015.  I have since constructed an adjustable and  removable second grid and cooked four large briskets at once this past fall.  If I only had one, it would be the XL.  But having the M is really nice for smaller cooks.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hey newbie here. After some research I just purchased an XL BGE. At the end of the day if it does what you want ??????? 
    Yes.  Lots of gadget interest and grass is greener around here.  You can spend as little or as much as you like chasing toys and fads.  Most are nice to haves.  Cook for a while and learn your egg before you start dropping $ on mods so you know what you want, not what someone else wants.
    Agreed on the gadgets, I'm resisting OK at the moment!
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I've owned and cooked on eggs and KJs. Both are good cookers. My sense is that KJ listens to the market and is quicker to bring products to their users. Joetisserie is a decent example. Also, the Joe jr. was out for about a year before the mini-max came out. Call it innovation, or just being in tune, but I think KJ has done a good job in that regard. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • distanceman
    Options
    bweekes said:
    I've owned and cooked on eggs and KJs. Both are good cookers. My sense is that KJ listens to the market and is quicker to bring products to their users. Joetisserie is a decent example. Also, the Joe jr. was out for about a year before the mini-max came out. Call it innovation, or just being in tune, but I think KJ has done a good job in that regard. 
    I think that's probably the best description I've heard--in tune and meeting their customer's desires vs leading the pack in innovation (as seen by the laundry list of things I listed that weren't necessarily "firsts" in the kamado market, albeit good additions).

Do you have a preference between KJ and BGE? 

I'm definitely leaning towards the XL--mostly because the additional dome clearance and coupled with the Adjustable Rig, being able to go 3 levels if needed...or putting a pork butt/brisket up top in the dome. It is also noticeably smaller than the Big Joe.
    Located Middle GA

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    bweekes said:
    I think that's probably the best description I've heard--in tune and meeting their customer's desires vs leading the pack in innovation (as seen by the laundry list of things I listed that weren't necessarily "firsts" in the kamado market, albeit good additions).

Do you have a preference between KJ and BGE? 

I'm definitely leaning towards the XL--mostly because the additional dome clearance and coupled with the Adjustable Rig, being able to go 3 levels if needed...or putting a pork butt/brisket up top in the dome. It is also noticeably smaller than the Big Joe.
    have never cooked on a big joe, so not qualified to answer your question. I will say that the XL is the best cooker i've ever owned (i've had a large egg, weber bullet, and a KJ jr), and still own my medium. Hands down, the xl is my go-to cooker. Start up time, temp stability, versatility (i have an AR), cook time, etc. -
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)