Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE really falling behind?

Options
I have a question/observation as I've researched to the Nth degree about every single kamado option on the market.

I hear many accusations, primarily from the KJ side (but with some BGE owners in agreement) that BGE is falling behind, failing to innovated, getting past, resting on its laurels, etc.

My observation--KJ is adding additions to its lineup. But for each innovation I see, it seems someone (either another kamado company or third party) already has something on the market:

- KJ Oven/Mesh gasket w/5 year warranty -- Grill Dome has a 5 year warranty on their gasket
- KJ Control Tower -- More or less the same idea as the Smokeware vent
- KJ Airlift Hinge -- Kamodo Kamado & Grill Dome both have a hinge that are similar in function
- KJ latching mechanism -- this is really to offset the fact that the dome weight will not create a seal
- KJ Divide and Conquer -- Ceramic Grill store made the Woo + Adjustable Rig before D&C was on the market
- KJ Cart (in design) -- I just saw the Weber Summit cart & the KJ's looks very similar 
- KJ multi-peice firebox -- I'm not convinced this is as good for the consumer as it is for KJ (less shipment/replacement costs)

For the first 4 bullets, those upgrades will command a $300 increase on the Big Joe & $200 on the Classic, which will now MSRP more than the BGE (including the additional a la carte costs of similar additions). That's a big increase.

My question: Is BGE really falling behind? How many of you see these innovations as being a true "game changer"? How many regret going BGE vs KJ in light of some of the new additions?
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We've definitely seen a downturn in new members joining the site, so... yes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    We've definitely seen a downturn in new members joining the site, so... yes.
    The KJ forum must be growing exponentially.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ^^^^ (directed to @JohnInCarolina ) That is a great Friday night fact based response  ;)  (and non-political, as well)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Ten years from now KJ may be the majority of this type cooker.
    I'm sure doing the Costco road show has brought KJ a lot of exposure and many new owners. I understand the road show deals a pretty good as well.
    I'm pretty much cooker agnostic. I like my egg, I have two large's. I also have a Portable Kitchen PK grill. In all honesty, the PK gets used more than the eggs.
    I have just ordered a pellet smoker.
    There's room in the market for more than one ceramic cooker, provided it's quality and backed by a great warranty.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Just want to point out the adjustable rig and the divide and conquer are not the same I think the KJ may be a better design.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I'd love to see some sales figures from both companies. Both being privately held tho that just ain't gonna happen.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Seems so......
    Jacksonville FL
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    I helped sale 2 bge large this week! Friends that have been wanting one finally took the dive! Dealer was offering a good deal also!  Might be feeling the competition!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• clifkincaid
    Options
    I love my eggs...no F's givin about JoeBlow...good for them. Never heard of a Joe fest here at our costco...but we are going on a 11th anniversary of eggfest.  =)
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Primo has the same divide and conquer as kj right? 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • flexfusion
    Options
    My next one will be a KJ I really like their technology.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • garthb4903
    Options
    hopefully KJ and others will be good competition for the BGE, then I can add a MM for a lower price to my L, M, mini!
    L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Primo has the same divide and conquer as kj right? 
    It's oval and far superior for two zone cooking. Far superior. 
    If I was going to get a non-Cadillac/non-egg kamado, I'd do Primo first. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I think we are on the same page. If I understand you correctly you are saying the BGE is Cadillac of Kamado's. Am I right?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I think we are on the same page. If I understand you correctly you are saying the BGE is Cadillac of Kamado's. Am I right?
    No, more like the F150. Kamodo Kamado would be the Caddy.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    The Komodo's would be the Bentley's of the kamado world.

I'd agree the BGE is the F150.

I'd put the KJ's as a Toyota and the Primos as a Nissan.

Not sure where all the half dozen or so other kamado makers would fit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Kamodo Kamodo's are ugly! I would never pay that much for one. I will stick with my eggs. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    You left out the ash tray thingy on the KJ, and that the BGEXL is smaller in volume...Oh, and BGE is made out of high tech ceramic developed by NASA.

Other than that stuff they are very similar.
    Gittin' there...
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Kamodo Kamodo's are ugly! I would never pay that much for one. I will stick with my eggs. 
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all, so I get it. But in terms of design and craftsmanship, they can't be beat. I do like the look as well.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all, so I get it. But in terms of design and craftsmanship, they can't be beat. I do like the look as well.
    Some of them are more appealing then others. I drool every time I see their 32" Big Bad in the black pebble finish.

I also love their 19" High Capacity Table Top in the black pebble. I almost bought one of those for my birthday last year but got a KBQ instead. My birthday is again upon me in a few more months - maybe I'll get one this year.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm not biased. I have both and they perform admirably.  You get more for your money with a KJ, but you lose status in BGE forums
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Weeeell, BGE could actually fix their gasket? Maybe move production to the US, if Primo can do it and make a profit then so could BGE.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My next one will be a KJ I really like their technology.  
    Have you looked at primo or Weber summit?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I'm not biased. I have both and they perform admirably.  You get more for your money with a KJ, but you lose status in BGE forums
    Does seem to give one a "red headed stepchild" feeling. :)

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    This forum is almost UN-American as it stands today, we accept anyone and invite open discussions about all kamado style grills. Love my egg, use it a lot, but for most of our cooks the Primo gets the nod - the two zone options as noted by @pgprescott above is a game changer. KJ was my first kamado experience, but without a local dealer, BGE got my business. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!