Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks JohninCarolina!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina for helping me solve that math problem - Riemann hypothesis.   Whew...I was losing sleep before I came to you.

Thanks @JohnInCarolina for helping me solve that math problem - Riemann hypothesis.   Whew...I was losing sleep before I came to you.

No worries mate.  We'll get to curves over finite fields next time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Holy smokes! What a ring on those babes. A classic case where you only need to see the result to know the how good they tasted. Well executed.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks to @JohninCarolina my wife and I undoubtedly enjoyed the best spare ribs we have ever eaten!

I followed his directions to a T - that means I let them swim sous vide sealed and rubbed first in FS bags for 18 hours at 147º. Then I pulled them out of the water and let cool down for 4 hour rest. Then fired up my large BGE indirect at 350º stable and let them go meat side down for 20 minutes before I did (unlike JIC) and spread on some sauce. Flipped them and after 20 more minutes closed my egg down and left the ribs on for 10 more minutes. These spares were the most tender and delicious I have EVER done! Thanks @JohninCarolina !

Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you so much for the step by step details!  I have tried ribs numerous times and they just don't come out tender or juicy. I've been debating on getting a sous vide and this has convinced me it's a must have...$$$$.  Now if I can just find one on sale!
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Interesting. Just read a post about a successful SV/smoker brisket method, and now this one here for ribs. I think an SV chicken cook has already been proven.

If someone comes up with a similar method for pulled pork, a person could potentially run a BBQ trailer with consistent product, but not have to worry about micro-managing a fire all through the night to pull it off.

Texas Hot Tub Barbecue
    Gittin' there...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @RRP
    The ribs looks and sound fantastic ole buddy. Going to give it a try myself and see if they are akin to Snor Yenom. 
    When you figure out what Snor Yenom is, you will be pissed =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options

I am sold, I will be trying this on my next rib cook - they look outstanding! thanks for sharing!

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    The ribs looks and sound fantastic ole buddy. Going to give it a try myself and see if they are akin to Snors Yenom. 
    When you figure out what Snors Yenom is, you will be pissed =)

Snors Yenom  un-jumbled spells "sorns money" whatever that means! =)
    Did you really mean scorns money?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    The ribs looks and sound fantastic ole buddy. Going to give it a try myself and see if they are akin to Snors Yenom. 
    When you figure out what Snors Yenom is, you will be pissed =)

Snors Yenom  un-jumbled spells "sorns money" whatever that means! =)
    Did you really mean scorns money?
    Auto correct added a "s". 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina ok Bill Nye. A smoke ring is, as we all know, strictly a presentation thing and doesn't add extra flavor.  But, alas we all want it!  With these being SV for around 80% of the cook what spice combo do you attribute to the chemical reaction thus giving you the ring?  And please show your work. :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Fascinating idea and I'll be trying it for my next rib cook.
    But the one part I don't understand is why the long 18-hour SV session?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    great, now I need a hot tub thing. Im running out of room in my house
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    You slowly melt the collagen into gelatin, while not overcooking.  Think of it as the ultimate low and slow.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    You slowly melt the collagen into gelatin, while not overcooking.  Think of it as the ultimate low and slow.
    Thanks for explaining that, John! I was afraid you thought I was stealing your thunder since it was you who made it obviously clear that trying your proven method of "perfect ribs" was the right unspoken challenge in the first place. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    OK, thanks. That makes sense.
    Will definitely be trying it in the next few days.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Rib tips are done. Sous vide still have 16 hours to go... 

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• HelenGrace203
    Options
    I am testing this recipe today, SV portion done.

If anyone buys Cambro container and Anova SV, you need 2 5/8 inch hole saw, fwiw. 
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    Options
    Would you alter the times any for baby back ribs?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JeffM said:
    Would you alter the times any for baby back ribs?
    I don't know - never tried them.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I am testing this recipe today, SV portion done.

If anyone buys Cambro container and Anova SV, you need 2 5/8 inch hole saw, fwiw. 
    You can by precut lids on Amazon.

• OhioEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    These spares were the most tender and delicious I have EVER done! 
    Well, I just followed these instructions and I have to admit they were the tenderest, most fall-off-the-bone ribs I've ever made. My wife went nuts over them and wants me to do it this way from now on.

A couple of differences:
    Used baby backs instead of St. Louis ribs.
    Let them sit in the frig overnight.
    Didn't get much of a smoke ring at all. Maybe I just didn't have enough smoke wood -- it was very thin when I put the ribs on.

Still, I love the fact that you can get things ready and keep them in the frig, then have ribs on the table within two hours when you want them.

Also, using such a smaller amount of lump is certainly a bonus.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    Maybe it's an Ohio thing, but we also did these today. Used spares, and the only difference was they rested in the fridge seven hours before going on the Egg. Nice result. 

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    I did this last night and while I screwed up (I basically incinerated my smoking wood when I ran it up to 600 accidentally after adding the wood, and once I brought it back down I could not be bothered to add more), so the ribs were missing the smoke, I can confirm that the texture was excellent.  I will try it again for sure, since I love that it is so easy to do and ensure consistent results, but I still have not found a method (turbo, etc.) that works as well for me as 3-1-1 (or close to it).
    Toronto ON
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Interesting. Just read a post about a successful SV/smoker brisket method, and now this one here for ribs. I think an SV chicken cook has already been proven.

If someone comes up with a similar method for pulled pork, a person could potentially run a BBQ trailer with consistent product, but not have to worry about micro-managing a fire all through the night to pull it off.

Texas Hot Tub Barbecue
    There are several threads at smokingmeatforums.com that do this.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    @johninCarolina Link to the original post?
  • hondabbq
    Options
    We going to tackle this one today, um err well tomorrow, um well I'll start it today. 

Going on at 6 pm all prepped up and ready to go. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    We going to tackle this one today, um err well tomorrow, um well I'll start it today. 

Did you find my original thread on these?  Sorry I missed your question from a few days ago.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Did you find my original thread on these?  Sorry I missed your question from a few days ago.
    No I didn't find it. I looked but may have missed it. If you don't mind. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    hondabbq said:

No I didn't find it. I looked but may have missed it. If you don't mind. 
    Here you go:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185710/spare-me-the-trouble-the-sous-vide-egged-spare-ribs/

The only change is the length of time.  I now go 18hrs instead of 24 in the SV.