Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Somewhat OT Question on Deep Fryers

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We normally do not fry food but my good neighbor gave me a new DeLonghi Deep Fryer. [p]DeLonghiDeepFryer.jpg[p]I've never used one but I like the idea of some fried foods on occasion, especially vegetables, to go with my Egged food.[p]I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, recipes, etc that might make it a good experience.[p]Spring "Fried and Quartered" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Buy good oil. First cook should be potatos, it will break in the oil. If you cook anything breaded you will need to filter the oil. If you cook fish, toss the oil. Although ours is empty now, when the kids were here all we used ours for was french fries. When we would cook burgers we would use our fryer to cook fries using a large bag of fries from Costco. I don't know what the cost per serving was but I bet it was below $.15 ($3 of oil, $4 for 10 lb of fries). Start the fire, plug in the fryer, when the burgers went on the fries would go in the hot oil, when the fries were done unplug the fryer and close it up to cool and be ready fro next time.
  • chicken breast, doughnuts, deep fried mashed potato

let me give you the deep fried mashed potato:
    boil peeled potatoes in water with some salt & pepper & onion powder until soft.
    transfer the hot potatoes to bowl, adding 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter, salt & pepper and some milk. Mash to a fairly stiff, but smooth consistancy.
    allow to cool.
    make golfball size balls by hand.
    roll in flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs
    get the fryer to 360F & carefully drop about 4 balls in til golden brown. set aside & do the rest.
    great taste with any meal & different.
    note: inside will be soft, while outside will be crunchy
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Why1504,
    That's a lot more information than the book offers. I guess they just assume "frying" is an easy way to cook. But I've had fried food many times I couldn't eat because it was over cooked, under cooked, greasy, scorched/burned tasting, and in a few instances tasting like a combination of fish and chicken. Frying potatoes as a first item is a good idea. Thanks.[p]Spring "Fry Me A River" Chicken

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    We only use peanut oil in ours and love to fry breaded orka and squash.It also does a good job on chicken livers,shrimp and mushrooms.
    Larry

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Sorry Leroy....Okra

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Recipe Name: CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN
    Category: CHICKEN
    Serves: 8[p]8 Each 6 oz skinned and boned chicken breasts
    4 1/2 teaspo salt divided
    2 1/2 teaspo freshly ground black pepper divided
    Each saltines crackers (2 sleeves) crushed
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour divided
    1 teaspo baking powder
    1 teaspo ground red pepper
    8 cups milk divided
    4 large eggs
    Peanut oil [p]Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
    Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper evenly over chicken. Set aside.[p]Combine cracker crumbs, 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and ground red pepper.[p]Whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk and eggs. Dredge chicken in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.[p]Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a 12-inch skillet (do not use a nonstick skillet). Heat to 360°. Fry chicken, in batches, 10 minutes, adding oil as needed. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack in a jellyroll pan. Keep chicken warm in a 225° oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.[p]Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup flour, remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 6 1/2 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chicken.

• Why1504
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]In resturants they have at least 3 fryers.[p]Fryer 1 newest oil, potatoes only.
    Fryer 2 next oldest oil, breaded foods, chicken and such, no fish.
    Fryer 3 oldest oil, fish only.[p]All of the oil is filtered every day, and the fryers are scrubbed clean. Once the fish fryer becomes rancid, just a few days, it is tossed and the oil is rotated with with new oil going in the potato fryer. [p]When frying be sure to check your oil temps and follow instructions. I also would check the temps with a calibrated thermometer.

• Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]If you want some really good home fries...[p]Slice your potatoes into shoestring size pieces. (Sweet potatoes are awesome like this, too.) Put them in the fryer at somewhere around 340 for about four to five minutes. Pull them out leaving them in the basket and let them rest while you crank the fryer up to 370 (as high as ours will go.) When your fryer gets to temperature, drop them back in and cook until your liking. For us, about 3-4 more minutes.[p]DrR
  • Why1504
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,[p]Oh yea. Don't forget to toss a bit of Cayanne on those Sweet Potato fries along with the salt and black pepper when they come out of the oil.
  • Dr_Redwine
    Dr_Redwine Posts: 189
    Options
    Why1504,
    That'll work![p]DrR

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Onion rings! Mix AP flour and beer to a slightly runny consistancy and add some salt and pepper and chopped fresh parsley. Let it set for and hour. Cut a sweet onion into 1/2" rings and dip into the batter and fry at 350-375. I use tongs and hold the ring partially submerged for a few seconds to keep the batter from getting suck in the basket. Remove when golden and sprinkle with salt. My other favorite is calamari, I soak them in buttermilk then dredge in seasoned flour and fry for 30 seconds, no longer or they get tough. Serve with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese. -RP

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Jose',
    Your recipe sounds interesting. I noticed that you cooked yours in a frying pan. I'll be doing deep frying. Does that make a difference?[p]Spring "Fry Me Tender, Fry Me True" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    I love sweet potatoes. Never thought about using cayanne on them though. I'll give it a try. [p]My grandmother used to fry sweet potato slices in bacon grease and sugar. It was as good as any candy. But that was back in a simpler time.[p]Spring "Time Traveler" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    AZRP,
    Onion rings are definitely on the "must learn to cook good" list. Maybe I can add some of Dr. Redwine's sweet potatoes to the batch. Thanks.[p]Spring "Learning By Asking" Chicken

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Deep fry! Also works on catfish!

• FlatEric
    FlatEric Posts: 56
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Fried Pickle Chips!![p]Fried Dill Pickles
    1 Egg -- beaten
    3 1/2 cups flour plus 1 tbsp, divided
    1 cup milk
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    6 drops Hot sauce
    1 teaspoon Salt
    3/4 teaspoon Pepper
    1 quart Sliced dill pickles
    Salt
    Pepper
    Vegetable oil [p][p]
    Combine egg, 1 tbsp flour, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce; stir well and set aside. Combine 3.1/2 cups flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Dip drained pickles into milk mixture and dredge in flour mixture. Deep fry at 350° until pickles float to the surface. Remove to paper towels or brown paper bags to drain. [p]