Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difference between end grain and edge grain cutting boards? HELP!

I am looking for a new cutting board for my shun knife. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    End grain boards self heal better and are softer on the cutting edge of the knife blade. And they look way cooler...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Use with poultry?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Photo Egg
    I picked up this board 2 years ago and it's great. It's heavy and tall. I use a piece of rubber cabinet liner under the board to keep it in place. It's 2 sided.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009OWEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RedSkip
    Seems there is two ideas out there... use wood boards with poultry and other camp is plastic only.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Photo Egg said:
    End grain boards self heal better and are softer on the cutting edge of the knife blade. And they look way cooler...
    This.

And I love that board Darian posted! Maple end grain is mighty fine. Mine isn't maple, actually not sure what kind of wood it is (whatever you can find at Home Goods for under $50. =) It's gotta be 10-12 years old and in fine shape. Used daily.

My serrated bread knife is harder on it than a standard knife. The scratches you see here disappear pretty quickly though.

I only use the wooden board for bread and veggies. For meat, fish and poultry, I use those cheap white plastic ones. Supposedly, it's okay (maybe even preferable) to use wood, but "they" say you should use one side for meat, the other side for veggies. I know I wouldn't bother to do that so I just use plastic.

I also have an edge grain bread board, but I never use a knife on it. It would cut and never heal. Just pizza and bread...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

They only look prettier.

I have never seen an end grain board in any commercial kitchen ive worked in, in 25+ years.  

With proper care, a normal maple board will last a long time. I have never replaced mine and its going on 18 years at home.

Buying a good quality board, and proper maintenance are they keys to longevity. The end grains look pretty and if you want to spend to have it look pretty on your counter all the power to ya. Im not knocking them at all, but if you look at it as a kitchen accessory for the look, its great.

I opened up a kitchen 11 year ago, and we are still on the same boards we bought back then. Thats daily use, with all items being cut on them. Fruits, meats, veggies, everything. The use these would get in a household is negligible.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hondabbq said:

They only look prettier.

I have never seen an end grain board in any commercial kitchen ive worked in, in 25+ years.  

With proper care, a normal maple board will last a long time. I have never replaced mine and its going on 18 years at home.

Buying a good quality board, and proper maintenance are they keys to longevity. The end grains look pretty and if you want to spend to have it look pretty on your counter all the power to ya. Im not knocking them at all, but if you look at it as a kitchen accessory for the look, its great.

I opened up a kitchen 11 year ago, and we are still on the same boards we bought back then. Thats daily use, with all items being cut on them. Fruits, meats, veggies, everything. The use these would get in a household is negligible.

You sharpen your knives more often with edge grain, so it's not just looks. I'm guess due to your commercial use, your knives get sharpened quite often, so end vs edge is negligible. 
  • Photo Egg
    hondabbq said:

They only look prettier.

"Most" commercial kitchen are not using nice steel. No need to worry about the blades. I know many on this forum have big dollars in knives. I only have a couple nice ones but spending $100 including shipping seemed like a good investment and I can feel the difference using my end grain compared to my other boards and my Blue Steel Tanaka's stay sharper much longer.
    An end grain board can also be more susceptible to getting water logged and swelling if they are not taken care properly. Another reason they are not used in a commercial kitchen.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • hondabbq
    edited February 2017
    Photo Egg said:
    hondabbq said:

They only look prettier.

"Most" commercial kitchen are not using nice steel. No need to worry about the blades.

You cant be serious with that statement.

$100 on a board isn't expensive.

I also use "nice steel" I have multiple Glestain knives that I use daily. I also have Wustofs and Victoriankox for various other jobs and uses. My main knife are my Glestains. Plural. It not pretty like your Damascus but its not meant to be pretty.

Those knives and boards are a statement piece just like a nice car to drive in. If you feel good when using it, good for you.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    End grains are preferable if the knife has a very acute bevel. Think of it this way. 1 good whack on the end grain will split a log, but the same log will take lots of chopping cross grain. The difference is that with the same force, the knife edge is more likely to press into end grain, rather than rolling over on the cross grain.

Tho' they are quite heavy, there is a rubber board sold as Sani-Tuff. Not likely to roll an acute edge, and they can be hand sanded if heavily scored.

Wood tends to be more hygienic than plastic. The micro cuts in plastic will hold water that lets bacteria grow, and some woods have enough tannin that it discourages bacterial growth.
  • Thanks for all the input! It has all been very helpful
  • @Photo Egg i have been looking at boos blocks but just checked out the one that you have from Michigan Maple Block. I will be purchasing one of those!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    @hondabbq,
    I will leave this short, comparing commercial tools to residential tools is apples and oranges assinine, in any arena.  So is saying certain steels and end grain are strictly statement pieces.  You can look up the science on superior steels, self-healing, and antimicrobial functioning of vertical wood fibers.

Commercial's priority is quantity vs cost.  Aluminum bakeware is another example.  Cheap, and gets the job done.  Are they the best choice for baking?  No

You are right about proper maintenance, but that applies to anything.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• hondabbq
    Focker said:
    @hondabbq,
    I will leave this short, comparing commercial tools to residential tools is apples and oranges assinine, in any arena.  So is saying certain steels and end grain are strictly statement pieces.  You can look up the science on superior steels, self-healing, and antimicrobial functioning of vertical wood fibers.

Commercial's priority is quantity vs cost.  Aluminum bakeware is another example.  Cheap, and gets the job done.  Are they the best choice for baking?  No

You are right about proper maintenance, but that applies to anything.

it isn't  asinine in this arena. 
    I can cut just as well with my $60 Vic as his $200 knife and mine will be just as sharp if not sharper over time. 
    As I mentioned before and you eluded to , proper care of the boards and care of the edges of the knives in question are the key factors. 
    It all depends of you want pretty pieces. Again IMHO. 
  • Photo Egg
    hondabbq said:
    Photo Egg said:
    hondabbq said:

They only look prettier.

"Most" commercial kitchen are not using nice steel. No need to worry about the blades.

I also use "nice steel" I have multiple Glestain knives that I use daily. I also have Wustofs and Victoriankox for various other jobs and uses. My main knife are my Glestains. Plural. It not pretty like your Damascus but its not meant to be pretty.

Those knives and boards are a statement piece just like a nice car to drive in. If you feel good when using it, good for you.

"You cant be serious with that statement."
    100% serious...I said "Most" commercial kitchens. I did not say "you" don't have and use good knives. I have been in at least 100 commercial kitchens and only a couple times have I seen nice steel being used. Normally it's a bunch of grunts pounding away with white handled stainless knives.
    I have seen many chefs pull out the nice stuff for demos and such but they are not their daily knives they leave laying around nor do they see any of the bulk work. The only exception I see on a regular basis is the use of a nice Sushi Knife being used at most good Sushi Restaurants. And this is part of the show. 
    Your post basically said end grain boards were not worth the money and only for looks. That's your opinion and I respect that. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg

@Photo Egg i have been looking at boos blocks but just checked out the one that you have from Michigan Maple Block. I will be purchasing one of those!
    It's a great, solid, basic board. It lacks end grooves for handling and moving the board and it would be nice if one side had a blood groove. But the price is right. Just remember, it's thick so it raises your cutting height. My wife does not like it because it's tall and heavy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Photo Egg said:
    hondabbq said:
    Photo Egg said:
    hondabbq said:

They only look prettier.

"You cant be serious with that statement."
    100% serious...I said "Most" commercial kitchens. I did not say "you" don't have and use good knives. I have been in at least 100 commercial kitchens and only a couple times have I seen nice steel being used. Normally it's a bunch of grunts pounding away with white handled stainless knives.
    I have seen many chefs pull out the nice stuff for demos and such but they are not their daily knives they leave laying around nor do they see any of the bulk work. The only exception I see on a regular basis is the use of a nice Sushi Knife being used at most good Sushi Restaurants. And this is part of the show. 
    Your post basically said end grain boards were not worth the money and only for looks. That's your opinion and I respect that. 
    I had this exact same argument with hondabbq in the past you can't argue with him all chefs use good knives. And his edge grain boards show no sign of ware with commercial use but my home use are all sliced up. He's like the knife and cutting board master.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    And let us not forget the bigglyest reason, end grains and superior steel are not commercial dishwasher friendly. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo Egg
    I respect his views and and agree to a point. I could not justify spending 300-400 bucks on a top name brand end grain board. That does not mean I'm not buying it because it's not a better board. I just don't have that kind of money to drop on a board. My best custom knife, although I got a great price, is under $300. For some, this is a starting price.lol
    I have several good knives in the 50-75 dollar range and it does not hurt me to sharpen them. When I dull my better knives and have to sharpen them I feel like I'm loosing $20 worth of knife on the stone every time I sharpen them. I know that's an over exaggeration but I still cringe when I do it. For me the end grain board was just to save my knives a little more over the others as well as the looks it adds to my outdated kitchen.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • hondabbq
    Focker said:
    And let us not forget the bigglyest reason, end grains and superior steel are not commercial dishwasher friendly. 

Now that would be completely asinine to wash either in any sort of dishwasher.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Photo Egg said:

@Photo Egg i have been looking at boos blocks but just checked out the one that you have from Michigan Maple Block. I will be purchasing one of those!
    It's a great, solid, basic board. It lacks end grooves for handling and moving the board and it would be nice if one side had a blood groove...
    Ten minutes with a router and round nose bit will solve both those problems.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Focker said:
    That's far from my wife's view. All knives get thrown in the sink along with pans, glasses and what ever else as the staging area for the dishwasher. I do my best to save them before they hit the machine. All good knives stay hidden from the wife for multiple reasons.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Regarding knives, I use them, wash/clean them and back into the block.  If SWMBO uses one, I go into knife-guard mode and perform the same function.  She has slowly come around about keeping them out of the D/W.  BTW- I am talking primarily Henkel and Wustof, most of which are at least 20+ years old.  
    Cutting boards, plastic here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Hard to beat a pretty end grain board for carving/presentation but for general usage I use either HDPE/UHMW plastic or a Japanese synthetic board (I have a couple of these boards - http://www.echefknife.com/accessories/yoshihiro-hi-soft-high-performance-japanese-sashimi-chefs-tool-professional-grade-cutting-board.html ).

For me the ability to wipe down boards I use for gutting fish with straight bleach is important. I can also get 1" thick slabs of HDPE or UHMW custom cut to whatever size I need for reasonable prices.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RedSkip
    Is it Friday?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Photo Egg
    RedSkip said:
    Is it Friday?
    There has been a little wind in this thread but mostly good information from several points of view. No where close to Friday material.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My time in commercial kitchens we used plastic boards.  They're cheap and you can run them through the dishwasher.  We sharpened the knives daily.  Sometimes several times.