Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck question.

Options
One of my favourite ways to cook whole duck is to just jam a bunch of citrus in the cavity, season with salt and a little pepper, and roast in the oven at 250 for about seven hours.  So easy and it always turns out beautifully. Crispy, perfect skin and tender, juicy, pull-apart meat that is delicious.  (Usually we eat with little Mandarin pancakes, green onion, cucumber and hoisin, but you can match it with just about anything.)

So - obviously - I am think about doing this in the egg.  No smoke.  I cannot think of any reason this simple approach would not work perfectly but before I do it, does anybody think it won't work? 
Toronto ON

Comments

• NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I tried, twice,  in BGE at 325 for 2.5-3 hours, did not like it as it was dry. then tried in cast iron at 300 for about 2 hours--loved it.  
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I tried, twice,  in BGE at 325 for 2.5-3 hours, did not like it as it was dry. then tried in cast iron at 300 for about 2 hours--loved it.  
    cast iron?  Did you flip it at all?  Spatchcock?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Yes. I cut it, let it fry in it's own fat. Drained fat after 20min, then added 3 cups chicken broth to one whole duck. Let it simmer at 300 for about 2 hours total. Flipped every 30 min or so. Added onions in the last 20 min. Delicious. 
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    I like it on a vertical stand with a drip pan to catch all that fat, it's quite a bit! Don't want that dripping on your coals. Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin is my seasoning of choice for this. I usually stick around 300* until I reach the internal temp desired.
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Thanks all.  All are good ideas/input.

Captjo, good call on the vertical stand and drip pan. Does your skin get crispy?

Saluki, that does look good, but I promise you, doing it at 250, with no high heat at the end, for 6 to 7 hours (just keep a look-out, because thinner-skinned ducks finish in 6 and thicker skinned take the full 7) produces a duck that looks just like that one, and with the best meat and skin you can get. Every time. I think ducks are pretty forgiving.  

That said, just as an experiment I am going to try my usual technique on the egg, and will report back. (Obviously, the 7 hours is not as good as doing it quicker, I am actually talking about the end product here justifying the time.)
    Toronto ON
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Simcan said:
    Thanks all.  All are good ideas/input.

Captjo, good call on the vertical stand and drip pan. Does your skin get crispy?

Saluki, that does look good, but I promise you, doing it at 250, with no high heat at the end, for 6 to 7 hours (just keep a look-out, because thinner-skinned ducks finish in 6 and thicker skinned take the full 7) produces a duck that looks just like that one, and with the best meat and skin you can get. Every time. I think ducks are pretty forgiving.  

That said, just as an experiment I am going to try my usual technique on the egg, and will report back. (Obviously, the 7 hours is not as good as doing it quicker, I am actually talking about the end product here justifying the time.)
    @Simcan
    for 4.5 or so hours in the egg, think 220 degrees, direct on a raised grid. the higher the temp and you get a bad grease flavor

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/237371/duck-with-wild-rice

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Stormbringer
    Options

captjo said:
    I like it on a vertical stand with a drip pan to catch all that fat, it's quite a bit! Don't want that dripping on your coals. Dizzy Pig's Tsunami Spin is my seasoning of choice for this. I usually stick around 300* until I reach the internal temp desired.
    Have you tried it with Game On? I found that was excellent with the one marginally successful duck I cooked in the BGE. No comparison with Tsunami Spin on duck, just extrapolating from the taste it has on pork.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------