Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick-ash basket failure

Options
2»

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Calling out the KAB?...   I sense a tsunami of butt hurt coming. 
    I should have re arranged my title to say Failure at the kick-ash basket!!! No negative feelings towards them at all!
    There are some sensitive folks here when it comes to their baskets and caps. 
    You bet we are.  =)

Spend all that money on accessories and we have to justify the purchase. Or at least to our wives.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your entire Egg is broken actually.  If you let us know where you live someone can be right over.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Did you light from the top or bottom? I seem to recall some on here who light from the bottom or will light and then cover with additional lump. Just thinking out loud here, but like others on here I have only seen improved air flow since I started using the KAB.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DesertSnow
    Options
    Did you light from the top or bottom? I seem to recall some on here who light from the bottom or will light and then cover with additional lump. Just thinking out loud here, but like others on here I have only seen improved air flow since I started using the KAB.
    I have a generic brand electric starter coil thing...I just stick it down in the middle and plug in...after about 10 minutes or when I get flames I take out
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    etherdome said:
    I've never had better temp control since I got mine. I will say that although they say you can use it with or without the bottom grate, I seemed to have problems with the grate in. I took it out and it's been awesome since. 

I have a large, a small, and a mini max. I use the KAB in all of them. I use the basket with the original grate still in. I can tell absolutely no difference in the performance of any of the eggs. I will say however that I was always very conscious to make sure the egg was clean of all ash and their were no air obstructions. I love the KAB for the ease of cleaning out the egg, but have never seen a difference in performance one way or the other. No issues at all.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

Here is what mine looks like when I fill it for a low and slow cook. There's a KAB buried in there somewhere. I'm in the "pour it in and light it" camp.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    I've had the same problem. If I fill the coal over the KAB, after approx. 6 hrs. the ash from the top pieces of lump snuff out my fire, usually I can stir the lump or shake the basket and get it re started again.

to start my egg I light my coal at the top, let it get hot for approx. 10 min, stir the coal in an attempt to get it all lit and then let it get up to temp. maybe I'm doing something wrong... idk
    LBGE circa 2016
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Coul said:
    I've had the same problem. If I fill the coal over the KAB, after approx. 6 hrs. the ash from the top pieces of lump snuff out my fire, usually I can stir the lump or shake the basket and get it re started again.

to start my egg I light my coal at the top, let it get hot for approx. 10 min, stir the coal in an attempt to get it all lit and then let it get up to temp. maybe I'm doing something wrong... idk
    Don't stir it. It spreads out the burning pieces of lump and created lots of tiny hot spots. Lots of tiny fires will go out on a low and slow. To hard to keep lots of little fires burning with minimal airflow needed for low and slow cooks. Great idea for grilling at higher temps especially when cooking direct.
    Agree.  Fill it up to just under your heat delector, light one spot and let it get established, then put in your gear and set your vents.  Neve had any challenges with my KABs.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Coul said:

Don't stir it. It spreads out the burning pieces of lump and created lots of tiny hot spots. Lots of tiny fires will go out on a low and slow. To hard to keep lots of little fires burning with minimal airflow needed for low and slow cooks. Great idea for grilling at higher temps especially when cooking direct.
    Agree.  Fill it up to just under your heat delector, light one spot and let it get established, then put in your gear and set your vents.  Nichole's Neve had any challenges with my KABs.
    FTFY
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Coul said:

Agree.  Fill it up to just under your heat delector, light one spot and let it get established, then put in your gear and set your vents.  Nichole's Neve had any challenges with my KABs.
    FTFY
    Thanks, Jason, I was in a hurry...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am not a KAB user or endorser but I will promise you it is not causing your problems.  Sounds like you just need to learn your new vent settings just like any of us that use the HighQ grate did.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Coul said:

FTFY

Everybody has those rubber wrist bands with WWND stamped on it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Coul said:

FTFY

Everybody has those rubber wrist bands with WWND stamped on it.
    LOL!
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    looks like improper lump placement, big stuff at the bottom, small up top. Also add more lump.
    That's what she said!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    looks like improper lump placement, big stuff at the bottom, small up top. Also add more lump.
    Pretty sure the placement of certain sizes of lump is not necessary. Never done it since 2009 and never lost a fire.  May of chased a couple till I learned my egg but I've never sorted lump.  Dump n Go.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DesertSnow
    Options
    Thanks everyone 
  • Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Coul said:

Thanks @Photo Egg appreciate the wise words
    LBGE circa 2016
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have Hi-Que grates, but I have heard great things about the Kick Ash Basket. I am also in the fill it up and light it camp. Doing that I have never had a problem. You will get the hang of it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's