Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Was Gifted A Flavor Enhancer Tenderizer - Question

My sister was proud as punch giving me this tenderizer for Christmas. I've never used a tenderizer before. What I gather or know is that it's made to make cheaper cuts of meat more tender by breaking down fibers. Is that somewhat accurate? I can't get my head wrapped around how that's not ruining the meat.

It also has the option of injecting while tenderizing. I can maybe see how that can help.

Is this a tool that I should be learning how to use or better left on the shelf taking up space?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    It is fine for tougher cuts of meat or if you cook your steaks well done.  If you grill your steaks as they should be, rare/medium rare, you have to be careful because it creates a path for potential surface bacteria to move into the meat.

Don't know about the injector option but I have a jaccard (same concept with regard to tenderizing) and will use it on occasion on the flat of a packer brisket.  Don't use as much as I once did (as I haven't found benefit although some swear by it).  If you do use it, make sure it is on a cut that will end at a high temperature as any surface contamination gets driven into the meat.  Of course, Costco blade tenderizes all their non-cryovac beef and no one has had any issues with that.  
    To summarize, I would not buy a jaccard today but back when the only cut of brisket I could find was a flat, it served a purpose.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have a Jaccard and use it quite often on chicken breasts and tough cuts, especially if marinating. It makes the meat easier to chew(and seem more tender) by cutting through some muscle fibers. You don't want to go all Stabby McStabby with it, as too much will lead to mushy meat. I do 1 or 2 passes with it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I am not a fan. Bought a Jaccard several years ago because I was tired of tough steaks. I noticed ZERO difference. Except I had to disassemble, clean and reassemble the thing every time I used it. I would gladly have done that, but my steaks were no better than before.

Then, the issue of injecting contaminants reared it's ugly head. I would probably use it in spite of that... if it worked.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Thanks for the explanation guys. Good to know about the bacteria. Definitely won't be using it with steak. Anything more than rare/medium-rare for a steak is ruined. I think I will try it with my next brisket. Since I can only get choice with Brisket at Sam's Club I'd be interested in seeing how tenderizing and injecting would go. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lots of comp guys use them on briskets. Must work.
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yep

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'm in the JACCARD camp and like the results whether it be chicken or beef and yes I use it for rare beef - I don't feel I live anymore dangerously than buying COSTCO meat, nor ground beef. I always hand wash and sterilize my JACCARD after every use by knocking it apart removing 3 machine bolts - never in the dishwasher. Clean up time is under 5 minutes for me - as practice makes perfect!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    I use my jaccard on most steaks I cook, exception being filets and ribeyes. Or prime cuts of meat. Most of my steaks come from the 1/2 beef I get every 6 months from dairy beef , which would probably be graded as select, so it needs a little help. But I can definitely tell the difference in tenderness. I must be living on the edge, I don't take mine apart to clean. Just dish soap, hot water and elbow grease, been using it for 20+years. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I also use the JACCARD and am pretty sure it was based on a RRP recommendation a few years ago.  I use it regularly with chicken and steak.  I run it through the dishwasher on the anti-bacteria setting.  Still alive and kicking.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Insofar as it pushes the evil surface bacteria into a warm comfy cave to reproduce and make you sit on the toilet all night playing angry birds and groaning:  if this worries you, douse your steak in vinegar  (or marinade it with something that has vinegar) before  you stabby mcstabface it.

Taken to the extreme, this is basically a way to make a cube steak without beating the crap out of it.  What it accomplishes is the need to chew less.