Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks JohninCarolina!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to @JohninCarolina my wife and I undoubtedly enjoyed the best spare ribs we have ever eaten!

I followed his directions to a T - that means I let them swim sous vide sealed and rubbed first in FS bags for 18 hours at 147º. Then I pulled them out of the water and let cool down for 4 hour rest. Then fired up my large BGE indirect at 350º stable and let them go meat side down for 20 minutes before I did (unlike JIC) and spread on some sauce. Flipped them and after 20 more minutes closed my egg down and left the ribs on for 10 more minutes. These spares were the most tender and delicious I have EVER done! Thanks @JohninCarolina !
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Look great. What kinda sauce?

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    just some crappy left over Jack Daniels. Can't believe I was being so cheap, but I wanted to get the bottle finished and in the trash! Normally I'm a Blue's Hog sauce guy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    You sous vide guys.  This is the one band wagon I am not gonna jump on. I honestly can't plan that far in advance - and if I could I would not focus on the cooking/hot water bath.  But from all summaries, I should feel less than satisfied.  However, of late that is nothing new.  And so life goes... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    They look absolutely perfect.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You sous vide guys.  This is the one band wagon I am not gonna jump on. I honestly can't plan that far in advance - and if I could I would not focus on the cooking/hot water bath.  But from all summaries, I should feel less than satisfied.  However, of late that is nothing new.  And so life goes... ;)
    you're either going to get pie-faced drinking for 18 hours sitting next to a hot tub, or you're going to have to switch to shots for the 40 min grill time.
  • RRP
    Options
    They look absolutely perfect.
    Thanks - and they were! I know some here think sous vide is cheating, but the no-brainer results and the ease achieving them out weighs the cat calls some will resort to!  =)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How much room does a SV setup take up in the kitchen when storing it?

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @Legume said;
    you're either going to get pie-faced drinking for 18 hours sitting next to a hot tub, or you're going to have to switch to shots for the 40 min grill time.

I much prefer the protracted deal.  Patience is the watch-word.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks - and they were! I know some here think sous vide is cheating, but the no-brainer results and the ease achieving them out weighs the cat calls some will resort to!  =)
    I'm fine with anything that produces great food. For you or anyone else who has used Sous Vide for the stuff we traditionally smoke, do you get any type of smoke flavor with the limited time on the BGE?
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    Options
    Very little actually. The SV unit itself is maybe 12" tall and 3" in diameter and I just wrap the cord around it and stick it on a shelf in my pantry. Then the Rubbermaid 12 qt container I just stick that on a shelf in my garage.
  • RRP
    Options

RRP said:
    I'm fine with anything that produces great food. For you or anyone else who has used Sous Vide for the stuff we traditionally smoke, do you get any type of smoke flavor with the limited time on the BGE?
    Seeing that JIC method calls for letting the ribs rest and cool off for 4 hours before going on the egg then being cold by then they do absorb smoke in the short time. I just used a chunk of apple, but I'll let the smoke ring in this picture speak for itself.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Looks delicious!  Nice lookin smoke ring!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    What do you think about maybe 275 for a longer period of time?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Looks great Ron! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    RRP said:
    Very little actually. The SV unit itself is maybe 12" tall and 3" in diameter and I just wrap the cord around it and stick it on a shelf in my pantry. Then the Rubbermaid 12 qt container I just stick that on a shelf in my garage.
    Well damn. You might have just convinced me. 

Little Rock, AR

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I might try that o c er a weekend, and see how I can get them to turn out. 22 hours and 40 minutes grill time, is worth it for fabulous ribs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Glad they worked out for you @RRP

This is pretty much the only approach I use for spares these days.  The results are just far too good, too consistent, to bother with anything else.  I consistently hear "these are the best ribs I've ever tasted!" from folks I serve them to.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    What's funny to me about this is that I actually think the SV is kind of the lazy man's approach.  

The four-hour rest in the fridge is sort of a minimum to let the ribs cool.  In reality they can sit in there for a week, to be ready to throw on the BGE for the 1-hr finish.

Spares in an hour - are you kidding?  ;)
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina what would your thoughts be on doing the ribs in a food saver bag and freezing after cooked, then some indeterminate time later, pull out and put frozen on the egg?
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    maso said:
    @JohnInCarolina what would your thoughts be on doing the ribs in a food saver bag and freezing after cooked, then some indeterminate time later, pull out and put frozen on the egg?
    I've done something like this, and they're OK - not as good as the approach Ron outlines above, but still serviceable.  

If you can plan ahead they're better doing the Prep in FS-> Freeze -> 18hr SV -> Brief Cool -> Egg finish.  

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    RRP said:
    Seeing that JIC method calls for letting the ribs rest and cool off for 4 hours before going on the egg then being cold by then they do absorb smoke in the short time. I just used a chunk of apple, but I'll let the smoke ring in this picture speak for itself.

Yes, the smoke ring was hard to miss. Thanks for the responses and congrats again on hitting this one out of the park. I've thought about sous vide in the past, primarily for steaks and a few other things, but it looks like it's even more versatile than I imagined.
    Stillwater, MN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • RRP
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    @JohnInCarolinaWere these side ribs?
    you didn't ask me but since these were my pictures in this thread I'll jump in here  =) Yes these were spare ribs trimmed to St Louis style and they were meaty. One observation I had when I drained the FS bags from the 18 hour swim was a lot of the fat must have been liquified as these spares were not greasy like spares can be.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    How was the bite? Fall off the bone or did they have a tug to them?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    Options
    Mine clearly had some tug, but not excessive since the meat was very tender.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mine clearly had some tug, but not excessive since the meat was very tender.
    That's perfection!
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    @RRP @JohnInCarolina Where they iced down (rapid chilled) or just removed from the souse vide and thrown in the fridge ?
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    They look great Ron!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    Options
    yogi84 said:
    @RRP @JohnInCarolina Where they iced down (rapid chilled) or just removed from the souse vide and thrown in the fridge ?
    I prefer not to place anything hot into my refrigerator so I let them cool on the counter on a platter for an hour and then into the refrig for 3 hours. I realize they had continued to cook somewhat by not doing the rapid chill bit, but this method worked for me.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    yogi84 said:
    The proper thing to do is to rapid chill them. That being said, I usually just let them cool a bit then stick them in the fridge.  I like to live dangerously.