Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can the old style handle be replaced with the new style?

Options
I've got the old style large with the small handle.  Is there a way to change it out with the new style larger handle? Would the new style bands fit my older style large egg? If this is possible, where can I purchase what I need for the switch?
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Not worth the money to switch out and put on new bands just to get the new larger handle. If your old band is messed up then go for it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    New bands will fit older egg, new handle will not fit the older bands. I just switched out the old (6 years) bands on my large and needed to get the new handle as well.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    pab said:
    New bands will fit older egg, new handle will not fit the older bands. I just switched out the old (6 years) bands on my large and needed to get the new handle as well.
    Where did you purchase the bands? How much did they run you?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I'm sure the old band could be modified to work. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    What's broken and then how do you fix it?  
    Hit up a dealer with some longevity and they quite likely will mirror the above.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Remember there are multiple "old" styles.  Its not just new and old.  Be careful with new bands.  BGE apparently just came out with new bands that only fit eggs that are a few years old.  The new bands at your dealer may not actually be the true new bands. So some of the new bands at your dealer may fit older eggs and some of the new bands may not.   It pays to have a good dealer who knows what is going on.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm a dealer and have an old style handle on my own egg.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    And just to confuse things further, I understand there is a "new new" band (just came out within the last week) for the large size, with a redesigned hinge and tabs to hold the lid in place even if the bolts loosen up.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Know anybody with any wood working skills? Making a simple replacement out of a larger piece of wood, and with holes drilled to the size for your old band wouldn't take but a few minutes!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Before I bought a hand carved handle, I thought about getting a wood beer tap handle and modifying that.  Check Ebay for wood beer tap handles.
    Flint, Michigan
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    @Hub, I bought the bands at the dealer I bought my egg from, Facklers Garrden Center in Granville Ohio. As was posted above, there are probably multiple old/new band models. I purchased egg in 2011 and it had the small handle. The bands I purchased at the end of October of 2016 had holes drilled for the larger handle. I paid $150 for them. I decided to buy new bands because I had bent the tabs so badly the bolts wouldn't seat. Probably silly on my part but I didn't want to risk weakening the metal by bending them back, but I'm happy that my dome is now properly aligned. 

Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • RRP
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Before I bought a hand carved handle, I thought about getting a wood beer tap handle and modifying that.  Check Ebay for wood beer tap handles.
    Long time egger in TX, named LawnRanger made cool handles for years just using wood pieces he found on the ground in the forest. Really unique and no two were alike. He also made a number of tools as well.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    RRP said:
    Long time egger in TX, named LawnRanger made cool handles for years just using wood pieces he found on the ground in the forest. Really unique and no two were alike. He also made a number of tools as well.

I looked at the handle of my small and was reminded of an unfinished project.  I bought a wood carving of a pig a while back with the idea I would try to make a handle for the small.  The pig is too big.  I was taking my own advice and was shopping for a beer handle.  I don't know.  Perhaps I'll make one.
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

I looked at the handle of my small and was reminded of an unfinished project.  I bought a wood carving of a pig a while back with the idea I would try to make a handle for the small.  The pig is too big.  I was taking my own advice and was shopping for a beer handle.  I don't know.  Perhaps I'll make one.
    For kicks and giggles then why not ask your child to donate that pine wood racer you two built together to you to "repurpose it" into a handle all of your family can enjoy for several years! 
  • txhawkeye
    Options
    I replaced mine with the larger handle several years ago. I just drilled new holes it was easy to do and have had no problems. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

@RRP- Ron, that's a great idea!  Probably better than getting this beer handle off Ebay.

Flint, Michigan
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hub said:
    I've got the old style large with the small handle.  Is there a way to change it out with the new style larger handle? Would the new style bands fit my older style large egg? If this is possible, where can I purchase what I need for the switch?
    The new style "mini/small/medium" will fit this old style large:

Any BGE dealer can order the new handle (about $15)
    Need to screw the new handle from the back and it can be done without removing the band.
    Give the new handle a few coats of polyurethane.