Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot-KBQ questions-Ot

Options
While I am extremely happy with my xl, I'm looking for a different flavor profile on some of my l/s. Maybe I'm just doing it incorrectly but I can't seem to get the real wood flavor in my cooks and want to get closer to a stick burner. All the reviews of the kbs say it is great. Some questions 
-Can I leave it outside uncovered all the time?(already know that the electronics come off and need to come in)
-Is the smoke profile worth the continues monitoring or is it not worth it
-if you had to do it all over again would you still do it 
Thanks for the input. 

Comments

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks @DoubleEgger for forwarding the question. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I have a KBQ which I purchased last Spring.

- It is all stainless so the weather won't hurt it. However, there are numerous openings in the top and you really don't want rainwater to just run thru the unit as when it drains it would leave a bit of a greasy mess. I use a generator cover which fits over the cook chamber perfectly. I store the electronics in a plastic toolbox to protect it from the elements. The firebox is just stored under the table I have my KBQ mounted on.

- Tastebuds vary and while I am quite pleased with the results from the KBQ I have known of a couple of folks that weren't as satisfied and they sold their KBQ's. Part of the reason I bought my KBQ was just to be able to play with a smoker using real fire with real wood and having to tend it is part of that experience. Tending it is no big deal  - just adding a couple more splits and stirring the coals every 20-30 minutes or so. Takes just a minute or so.

- I would absolutely buy another KBQ.

One other benefit of the KBQ is that food will cook quicker. The main fan runs full time and creates a convection oven type of environment.

Here's a lengthy KBQ thread on a different forum that you might enjoy reading - http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b8f98a505269e4879f765ca01b4ac69c&topic=14993.0

There are a few folks on this forum that also have KBQ's and they may also chime in. Over on the Amazing Ribs website their Pitmaster Forum has more than a dozen (might even be approaching a couple dozen now) of us that have KBQ's. If you are a member there there are many threads discussing the KBQ.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    You could leave it outside uncovered, it's SS, but I don't.  When you remove the fans, there are holes on top where debris, and water will get in.  The KBQ has two small holes to drain the grease, but I'm sure a significant amount of water would settle.

My buddy sancho, recently purchased a cover for his..hoping he will chime in.

You will work for food.  The goldilocks logs will have to be cut from reg size splits...and added every 30 min or so.  I personally enjoy the interaction with a live fire.

Tons of good pics, glowing reviews on amazon, amazingribs.com

This unit isn't for everybody, and having the eggs and WSMs with FB200 for convenience in challenging weather is nice.

My original plan was a backyard PCC offset.  

The KBQ is a fraction of the cost, SS, lightweight, and a small footprint for the capacity.  

The flavor profile is different.  Even reheated items are different...in a good way.  It exceeds the eggs, WSMs, and kettles.  I wouldn't say milder, maybe slightly sweeter, burning off some of those stronger flavors you will pick up on other cookers.  Smoke rings are much more pronounced if that's your thing.  I like to see one when it comes to traditional Q.

Would I do it again?

Damn right I would.
    Zero regrets.
    HTH
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CoMoBGE
    Options
    I don't mind the tending of a grill. I probably fiddle to much with the egg to begin with because I enjoy it. I asked the Lady earlier today if I could buy one and she said no! Got a stock dividend recently and I think the kbq would be a fantastic drunken purchase. Why did I even ask before I bought it? I can tell her that it was the kbq or a gravity stumps smoker! Thanks for the info. 
  • CoMoBGE
    Options
    @focker your pictures are making my decision easy! 
  • Focker
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    @focker your pictures are making my decision easy! 
    Thank you.
    These sealed the deal for me.
    The C-60 is legit.
    https://www.amazon.com/review/reviews-lightbox//ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_img?ie=UTF8&asin=B00JVCXY7O

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• CoMoBGE
    Options
    Have already read the reviews. The KBQ came on the radar over a year ago. The itch is just now getting to the focal point and there is very little chance of turning back! F it. 
  • CoMoBGE
    Options
    Thanks @HeavyG for the review.  This is my next cooker. Was going to buy a bge medium to complement the xl but this seems like a better choice. 
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    CoMoBGE said:
    Have already read the reviews. The KBQ came on the radar over a year ago. The itch is just now getting to the focal point and there is very little chance of turning back! F it. 
    Lmfao, been there my friend, not long ago. Just jump, and stay belly to earth, pull your cord at 4000ft.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Better to beg forgiveness then ask permission.  Enjoy the kbq.  BTW-around here it is commonly known as "the dishwasher." 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    It's all over now. Cen-Tex is VERY adept at spending people's money for them here. 

I've eaten Cen-Tex's dishwasher vittles and that is an outstanding cooker. Small footprint too. He broke it down and carted it over to pig camp last year. In the trunk of his wife's car. Hard to beat for portability. 

I've been jonesing for an offset for some time, but don't have the time right now to tend the  fire that often . Will happen soon though. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @CoMoBGE and @Focker and @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I too was on the fence on this purchase and I wanted it for the very same reason you stated! I wanted a better controlled smoke profile. Brandon and John answered all my questions and concerns. I have since purchased one and have gave a couple of cooks and I am above very satisfied. Below are few pictures, in no  particular  order. If I had to go it again, I would!!  are 
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Focker
    Options
    sancho65 said:
    @CoMoBGE and @Focker and @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I too was on the fence on this purchase and I wanted it for the very same reason you stated! I wanted a better controlled smoke profile. Brandon and John answered all my questions and concerns. I have since purchased one and have gave a couple of cooks and I am above very satisfied. Below are few pictures, in no  particular  order. If I had to go it again, I would!!  are 
    Will the "dragon" breathe fire today?  B)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Just got pushed off the fence, asked for an invoice from Bob...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Anyone have any comparisons between meat of KBQ and of Backwoods Chubby G2
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sent you a PM but I love mine. All that is said above is accurate. 
    ozzie- the backwoods is a charcoal insulated box just like an egg. Bigger and square but the same idea. A low smoldering fire with smoldering chunks or chips and  a set if and forget it mentality. The KBQ is a stick burner. That's where you would notice the difference in flavor. You don't get the true stick burner flavor from a choked down fire with smoldering chunks
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There is no reason to buy a backwoods or any other cabinet smoker over an egg unless you just want more room. I cooked with SGH on his pitmaker vault and it is badass. You could cook for 200 people (and we did) on that thing. Great food, tons of room and a KickAss cooker. Still burns charcoal and chunks. Even SGH will tell you that his big offsets put out better food- but for the difference in cost and effort, the insulated cabinets are a very close second. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Sent you a PM but I love mine. All that is said above is accurate. 
    ozzie- the backwoods is a charcoal insulated box just like an egg. Bigger and square but the same idea. A low smoldering fire with smoldering chunks or chips and  a set if and forget it mentality. The KBQ is a stick burner. That's where you would notice the difference in flavor. You don't get the true stick burner flavor from a choked down fire with smoldering chunks
    Good deal, thanks for the info.  Defintely do not room for 50+.  I will look more into the KBQ, seems its more of what I'm after.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    rifrench said:
    Just got pushed off the fence, asked for an invoice from Bob...
    Bout friggin time!  =)
    Enjoy it my friend.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Using the lid for the first time with craigslist apple, seems to burn a little slower.  Spares, thighs, and turds are on today's menu.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac -  not to hi-jack this thread but you may want to go in a different direction with a stick burner.  Give off-sets a look.  I landed on a Lang 36 and as above with the kbq, any are not fire and forget.  But you do get a different flavor profile with any type of fire you are cooking on; sticks, briquettes or lump.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Options
    Or stop by and see the dentist, when you are back in IL visiting Ma and Pa.  Peoria Custom Cookers don't Fock around. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Focker said:
    Or stop by and see the dentist, when you are back in IL visiting Ma and Pa.  Peoria Custom Cookers don't Fock around. 
    Their Meat Monster is awesome.  Alwans uses one for their lunch service.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Killer cooker but again the same with a smoldering lump fire and smoldering wood chunks. If you want a different flavor profile than your bge you are going to have to burn sticks. What really got me turned on to burning wood was the webcast the meathead did with dr. Blonder on amazing ribs dot com. You have to be a premium member to see it there but it may be out there for free somewhere. If you really want to know the difference between a live wood fire and charcoal and chunks, that is a very informative chat. You will totally get the science behind the KBQ once you see that. I think bill pretty much has the same info on the kbq site but the meathead interview is over an hour of nerdy BBQ fire talk. It's the same info in the franklin BBQ book as well but much more in depth on the "why"
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Killer cooker but again the same with a smoldering lump fire and smoldering wood chunks. If you want a different flavor profile than your bge you are going to have to burn sticks. What really got me turned on to burning wood was the webcast the meathead did with dr. Blonder on amazing ribs dot com. You have to be a premium member to see it there but it may be out there for free somewhere. If you really want to know the difference between a live wood fire and charcoal and chunks, that is a very informative chat. You will totally get the science behind the KBQ once you see that. I think bill pretty much has the same info on the kbq site but the meathead interview is over an hour of nerdy BBQ fire talk. It's the same info in the franklin BBQ book as well but much more in depth on the "why"
    CT, all models of PCC's pits are stickburners.  There is no smoldering lump or chunks.  Some use a guru with them for ease.

You light them similar to a KBQ, chimney of lump to get things going, then sticks rest of the way.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    All in a days work.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    CT, all models of PCC's pits are stickburners.  There is no smoldering lump or chunks.  Some use a guru with them for ease.

You light them similar to a KBQ, chimney of lump to get things going, then sticks rest of the way.
    The internal firebox meat monster is a gravity fed lump box isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong but thought larrys was that way. I do recall now that the external is a stick burner. Badass cooker either way. Would love to have one. But for $10k I'll stick with the kbq. 
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

The internal firebox meat monster is a gravity fed lump box isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong but thought larrys was that way. I do recall now that the external is a stick burner. Badass cooker either way. Would love to have one. But for $10k I'll stick with the kbq. 
    Wow, didn't know they had an internal firebox model???  Never did see Larry's, always wanted to.  I know he wanted to sell it and get another PCC, must've been the external MM he was after.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities