Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide

2»

Comments

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2017
    QUESTION: Does the size of the tri-tip (small half of one) have any bearing on the length of time in the SV bath?

My last one was melt-in-your-mouth after 1-1/2 hours. I avoid generalizations and only offer my personal experiences. And it happens--the piece of meat may be one of those infrequent *&$%#^ pieces of meat that aren't edible.
    Judy in San Diego
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Thanks for the tips on tri tips!   Im going to try both methods, 1-2 hr and 12 hr! Post results later on

• westernbbq
    edited April 2017
    @danv23 and @westernbbq: I cut my tri-tips in half for my own convenience, there's only two of us, but probably it works for a whole one. I treat it like steak...130° F. for 1 to 2 hours (depends on whether it's the thin or thick end, for me). Season it before SV-ing it, or not. DON'T overcook it when reverse searing! Keep flipping it so all sides are seared and use that Thermapen. I aim for a finished 130° F., but with the uneven thickness at the small end, it's a guess.
    @Judy Mayberry and @HogHeaven, i made the SV tri tip wed nite this week for my kids and one of their buddies.  Set up a frozen vac sealed asian marinated one at 9am at 132F,   went to work, went to football practice, came home and fired up MM with regular grate and took meat out of sv bath at 6PM.    Put tri tip on for 4 mins per side, 2 mins, turn, 2 mins turn, flip and repeat, took it off, let sit for 5 mins, sliced and called the boys for dinner.  Went to go get camera to take picts and when i came back to kitchen the meat was gone!   I got a taste off my sons plate and wow were you guys right on about sv tenderizing tri tip.  It was medium, pink in center, filet migon tender and incredibly flavorful.  

Many many many thanks for the tips in tri tips?   This is super easy and it has the wow factor.   Incredible.
  • westernbbq
    sv a tri tip again this weekend.  130F for 10 hrs and it was scrumdiddlyumptious!  perfect tender, not overcooked, and great beefy flavor
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Chefsteps.com is your friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbq
    HogHeaven said:
    @danv23 and @westernbbq: I cut my tri-tips in half for my own convenience, there's only two of us, but probably it works for a whole one. I treat it like steak...130° F. for 1 to 2 hours (depends on whether it's the thin or thick end, for me). Season it before SV-ing it, or not. DON'T overcook it when reverse searing! Keep flipping it so all sides are seared and use that Thermapen. I aim for a finished 130° F., but with the uneven thickness at the small end, it's a guess.
    When SV cooking a Tri-Tip roast - TIME... is your tenderizer.

IMHO a 2 hour SV cook at 131° on a Tri-Tip roast is under cooked, the meat is too tough. From experience I can say that a 24 hour cook at 131° on a Tri-Tip roast is over cooked, the meat becomes to mushy! 

Being a californian where tri-tip is abundant and having experimented on SVing many Tri-Tip roasts... I can say that 12 to 15 hours is the sweet spot - at 131°.  After it is seared it will be as tender as a filet mignon. I like to serve it with a bernaise sauce. 

I sear them either in a cast iron skillet or on my charcoal starter with a BBQ grate over it. 
    Ill either be sving tri tip this weekend or reverse searing ribeyes....whichever is on sale.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    I received one for Christmas. Tri tip so far has been the best outcome with it. Steaks have been great also. I have a recipe for fried chicken that I may try this weekend.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    A little bird told me you can Sous vide brownies....
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    thetrim said:
    A little bird told me you can Sous vide brownies....

Sous vide is apparently big in the making of edibles (I've not tried yet).  The steady heat control makes it ideal for extraction.  Not sure if this was the type of brownies you were referring to though... 

Phoenix 
  • I am loving Sous Vide popcorn.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • westernbbq
    Lloking at tri tip sv tacos this weekend....
  • westernbbq
    @Judy Mayberry and @HogHeaven, i made the SV tri tip wed nite this week for my kids and one of their buddies.  Set up a frozen vac sealed asian marinated one at 9am at 132F,   went to work, went to football practice, came home and fired up MM with regular grate and took meat out of sv bath at 6PM.    Put tri tip on for 4 mins per side, 2 mins, turn, 2 mins turn, flip and repeat, took it off, let sit for 5 mins, sliced and called the boys for dinner.  Went to go get camera to take picts and when i came back to kitchen the meat was gone!   I got a taste off my sons plate and wow were you guys right on about sv tenderizing tri tip.  It was medium, pink in center, filet migon tender and incredibly flavorful.  

Many many many thanks for the tips in tri tips?   This is super easy and it has the wow factor.   Incredible.
    Getting ready to repeat this process in a few weeks.  Should be amazing.....
  • westernbbq
    sv a tri tip again this weekend.  130F for 10 hrs and it was scrumdiddlyumptious!  perfect tender, not overcooked, and great beefy flavor
    Or this one....
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited January 2019
    Properly prepared Tri Tip is the poor man’s filet mignon. Searing it hot, hot, hot is important. Try making a bernaise sauce to add flavor too.