Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. My Egg went Fukushima

Options
2»

Comments

• LBH
    LBH Posts: 50
    Options
    @Bojangles
    thanks for posting your $.02.  Worth at least a buck
  • LBH
    Options
    Yes my questions about temp settings and control have been answered and understood.  

I must digress about fuel.  Lump versus Hardwood.  They burn at a different rate... hardwood burns much faster hence it is harder to control.  I had too much wood in the center and all of it became engulfed.  (Obviously one doesn't want to do this).  

Thats all I'm saying and I'm curious if anyone else has made this mistake and couldn't control the fire.  

Low and slow.   Yes,yes,yes.  Got it.   This weekend I will also pay attention to the distribution of the hardwood.  
  • LBH
    Options
    In the USFS study the Ambient Temperture of the different woods "varies"
  • LBH
    Options
    Even the title of the study is telling. ...,."Heat Release"
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    LBH said:
    the amount of fuel in the egg  do not control the temperature of the egg.....

your car does not go faster just because it has a full tank of gas. and so the large chunk of smoke wood isn't causing runaway temps.......
    for whatever reason, the egg was getting too much air.
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    I've been thinking about your post for some time and while a your post made sense, it didn't jibe with my observation when I lifted the lid of the egg.  The large chunks of hardwood were burning significantly faster and "more intense" than the lump coal.  To use your gasoline analogy a cup of gasoline would burn much faster than coal.

After Googling "burn rate" I respectfully disagree.   

I found the attached US Forrest Service paper "Burn Rate of Solid Wood Measured in a Heat Release Rate Calorimeter" interesting.

At the risk of continuing to discuss something that has already been resolved....

Darby was not inferring that different fuel sources do not burn at different rates.  What he was suggesting is the amount and/or type of fuel is less pertinent than whether the conditions are hospitable to combustion.

So, in a nutshell, if you close off your airflow, the environment becomes too "rich" to sustain combustion and your egg will cool.  Conversely, if you allow oxygen to flow freely into [and out of] the egg, combustion will run rampant.

If interested, look up topics on LEL and UEL (lower explosive limits and upper explosive limits)...it's all based upon how lean or rich the mixture of fuel & oxygen is.

And yes, you're right.  The burn rate of wood may well be in excess of that of charcoal (can't say why, perhaps pyrolysis occurs at a lower temperature) but this is a moot point if air flow is controlled.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Departed with my last outboard motor powered boat over 40 years ago and carbureted automobile engine around 15 years ago.  But  the lean vs rich mixture analogy works.  Oh to be young and...again  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @LBH..................as you can see, every opportunity to turn simple Egg operation into high level rocket science will be exploited here.

The solution is at hand, and more Egg adventures await you. Just keep in mind that as much as some of us here want to turn Egg cooking into theoretical particle physics, it isn't. 

Enjoy the ride.............the Egg will reward you.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    D@mn.....the smart ones are on fire this afternoon. Pun intended B)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's as simple as this - the air flow controls the temperature.  Period. 
    Options
    Correct.  And.... Different fuels require different air flows to maintain the same temperature. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LBH said:
    Correct.  And.... Different fuels require different air flows to maintain the same temperature. 
    Not really enough to notice. You adjust the airflow to get your system temperature.  Feedback - you and the temp and the airflow.  Same with the stoker, except it's electronic.  Calorimeters and the btu measurements of energy density, etc are not in play here because you have a reducing, oxygen poor environment.  Unless you're burning a fuel with an oxygenate, which you aren't, it's insignificant in this application.  I'll get into the stoichiometry of combustion if you want.

Options
    I don't use a pit controller so I'm not much help on that end but I do run heat treat furnaces for a living. I'm sure this thread already has enough information but hey what's .02 gonna hurt. As far as the wood chunks burning hotter vs just charcoal; yes they will initially burn hotter due to the energy it takes to evaporate the moisture and burn off the by products from the wood like sap and what not. Therefore creating the higher flames and faster burn rate. But in a controlled environment like the egg you have an oxygen reduced environment . Esp with a vary limited air supply at 250 degrees. But when o2 is introduced the wood will combust/flame. when done closed very small if any flames. Open up and feed the fire air you flames. Have you checked to see if your dome sits flush with the base on the gasket? I wonder if there is an air leak causing more air to get in? Anyways hope your next cook yields better results. Probe placement on the grate in relation to how close to the edge or the center of the indirect piece may be a factor as well. Happy egging and just sharing my thoughts! 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Yeah, and what about this "flux capacitor air osmosis inverter" you guys had me install on my BGE? It has never worked, keeps blowing fuses. Y'all were BSing me weren't you? Better air flow my azz. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • LBH
    Options
    I'm using the Cyber Q to monitor my BB-Rib cook.  I closed the damper to about 25% and its  working perfectly maintaining the temp.  

Thanks to to all for the help.  
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LBH said:
    the amount of fuel in the egg  do not control the temperature of the egg.....

your car does not go faster just because it has a full tank of gas. and so the large chunk of smoke wood isn't causing runaway temps.......
    for whatever reason, the egg was getting too much air.
    @Darby_Crenshaw
    I've been thinking about your post for some time and while a your post made sense, it didn't jibe with my observation when I lifted the lid of the egg.  The large chunks of hardwood were burning significantly faster and "more intense" than the lump coal.  To use your gasoline analogy a cup of gasoline would burn much faster than coal.

After Googling "burn rate" I respectfully disagree.   

I found the attached US Forrest Service paper "Burn Rate of Solid Wood Measured in a Heat Release Rate Calorimeter" interesting.

Charcoal burns hotter than wood. 

And my point was: adding wood chunks or chips (or more charcoal) does not increase the temperature in the egg

you are regulating the oxygen, throttling it

if your egg runs away on temp, it is never a result of how much fuel is in the egg. It's how much air you are letting in to allow that fuel to burn 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• LBH
    Options
    I've completed 9 1/2 hours of a planned 12 cook of two 7lb pork shoulders.   All is well and the CyberQ is performing great.

Thanks again for for the vent adjustment tip.  

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Be sure to check your probe cables too...might need replacing as the temps you posted are at or above the limits for most coated cable temperature probes....
  • LBH
    Options
    Be sure to check your probe cables too...might need replacing as the temps you posted are at or above the limits for most coated cable temperature probes....
    That's a good thought.  I'll check the calibration.  Things have been going much better except my startups are painful.  It fits gets going well then it goes out producing mass quantities of smoke.  I never had this problem when I first got the egg.  I read up a bit and discovered I should stack the lumps.
  • LBH
    Options
    I'd also like to apologize for using "Fukushima" in the title of the thread.  What those poor people are going through is no joke.  I will keep them in my thoughts.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I fired up the egg yesterday and sat outside browsing the forum for a little while. I got sidetracked for a minute with all of the BS on here. I looked at the egg and wondering why it wasn't getting above 300F. I opened it up to realize 300 was probably close to 1200 as I had wrapped the tel tru.  An unexpected but needed clean burn. 
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I fired up the egg yesterday and sat outside browsing the forum for a little while. I got sidetracked for a minute with all of the BS on here. I looked at the egg and wondering why it wasn't getting above 300F. I opened it up to realize 300 was probably close to 1200 as I had wrapped the tel tru.  An unexpected but needed clean burn. 
    That is so easy to do.  I have sat there many times, watching it get started and not wanting to over shoot my temp, only to get p|$$ed at how slowly it was rising.  Decide to go in and do some prep work.  Come back to find a roaring inferno and the gauge making its second trip around just as you found.   

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I understand the airflow part of temp control, but now I want to know one other thing that this thread has made me curious about.  Folks talk about "a penny for your thoughts" and others mention they'd like to contribute "their $0.02 worth" ... where does the penny difference come from?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I understand the airflow part of temp control, but now I want to know one other thing that this thread has made me curious about.  Folks talk about "a penny for your thoughts" and others mention they'd like to contribute "their $0.02 worth" ... where does the penny difference come from?
    Buy low and sell high
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Inflation.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    The perceived value of advice, what you give is always more valuable than what you receive.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    OT comment here, but I can't help but think "Billy Gibbons" when I see your profile pic. That's a compliment, btw.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Ike said:
    if your blower as and adjustable dampener, if may be open a little too much

Probably a lot too much. Check the guru adapter and make sure the slide is only 1/4 open for that temp. The idea is to force the fan to run intermittently to supplement air flow.
    Gittin' there...
  • LBH
    Options
    OT comment here, but I can't help but think "Billy Gibbons" when I see your profile pic. That's a compliment, btw.
    My reputation pre deceases me
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I think it is a form of "haggling". Seller trying to offer his advice as .02 worth. Buyer offering "a penny for the thoughts".  Not much middle ground there...

As with all sales, the buyer has to believe the product is worth as much or more than the price they will pay. The seller has to know the item is not worth as much as they will accept.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim