Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT BMW 540i Owners???

Options
I'm looking at a used 2000 model 540i.  One owner, always garage kept with 60,000 miles.  The car is a six speed manual M Sport. Buy it, or walk away?

Comments

• PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    whats the price?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Regular maintenance can get pricey on older BMWs.  That is a great car though.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    60K is nothing on a Beemer. Maintainence is. If the price is good, go for it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Like the other said, maintenence will kill you unless you do it all yourself. 2000 was before a lot of the silly modern computer crap that is now plaguing new used cars. M cars are cool too, that is if its really an M and not just the appearance package. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Check your in-box.  Not sure what the prevailing $$ is for one these days, but that seems high.  Give the car web-sites a look.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Find one at a CarMax and buy the extended warranty...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Any idea why he wants to sell?? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • reload
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I believe it is the M sport.  
  • reload
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Any idea why he wants to sell?? 
    Getting older and doesn't want the manual transmission anymore. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Buy it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That's not the full blown M, but the appearance package. Either way that's a super clean car. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • reload
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Buy it.
    I like your style YukonRon!  I believe I will.  This car is fun to drive.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I like that and would pay a premium for a perfect car but there must be a bit of haggle room on the asking price. Do all of the toys work on it? Understressed engine, simple by modern standards. These are quiet too ( or should be, anyway).
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    2000 was before a lot of the silly modern computer crap that is now plaguing new used cars.
    Yeah, who needs the silly modern crap like onboard diagnostics, nav, bluetooth, satellite radio, backup cameras, automatic emergency braking, pedestrian detection, active cruise control, lane keep, etc. ;)
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Buy it, my two Beamers have gone well over 100,000 before needing any major repairs.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd buy it if it's been receiving maintenance - at least the fluid changes - on schedule.

I do my own maintenance and repairs on everything.

The good - low mileage.  The bad - 17 years old. 

You should expect problems will crop up with electrical components, just because of the age.  I had a used Audi A8 and the guy I bought it from averaged 10k a year in service - mostly repairing electrical issues.

If you get on top of it, do full service and stick to the schedule, you shouldn't have any major mechanical issues for years. 

The stuff that haunts you on older cars that didn't get proper service are things like leaks in steering system, water in brake fluid causes all kinds of issues, breakdown in lubricants if they weren't changed on schedule (there is mileage and time constraints).  

None of that stuff scares me...my service costs are parts and my time.

Anyway, looks like a fun car without the super high performance issues you may have with an M5.
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    ToTheMax said:
    Jeremiah said:
    2000 was before a lot of the silly modern computer crap that is now plaguing new used cars.
    Yeah, who needs the silly modern crap like onboard diagnostics, nav, bluetooth, satellite radio, backup cameras, automatic emergency braking, pedestrian detection, active cruise control, lane keep, etc. ;)
    I believe you're joking, but I'm serious. I hate modern cars. 
    Yes, I am joking/teasing. To each their own.

I love modern cars. While they might be harder to repair, they offer a lot of advantages in safety, efficiency and well... gadgets.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had a bunch of 60s/70s cars and they're much harder to keep running properly.  The OBDII system coming from the ECU keeps the engine running better and diagnosing most common problems are simply a matter of evaluating the error codes.

Maintaining carburetors vs fuel injection is much easier with fuel injection.  Not many mechanics now days want to tune points and timing on old cars, and many don't do it...because it's becoming a lost art.
    Options
    Off Topic in a way, but in defense of owning older cars I'm living proof of what I always preach of buying the best you can afford at the time and then take care of it. For example way back in 1999 I bought a brand new 300E Mercedes Benz diesel. As of right now it has 64,343 miles and anyone who knows about diesels knows 64k on a Benz means it is still a puppy! I keep it serviced and twice I have had it in the body shop for cancer issues. But to look at it and drive it it is still a beauty! This is my third MB and it's my second diesel. My other went 160k and I just traded it in for sake buying this 300E.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I had a bunch of 60s/70s cars and they're much harder to keep running properly.  The OBDII system coming from the ECU keeps the engine running better and diagnosing most common problems are simply a matter of evaluating the error codes.

Maintaining carburetors vs fuel injection is much easier with fuel injection.  Not many mechanics now days want to tune points and timing on old cars, and many don't do it...because it's becoming a lost art.
    Engines are definitely easier to keep running now, gone are the days of carrying spare ignition components in case of failure, or a can of eeze start or jump leads (even batteries seem more reliable). I've fitted EFI to my old camper. No more jetting trial and error / dark arts of carburetor tuning. 

If you want old school carb tuning now, historic race prep people are the ones to see in the UK, they are the only ones left who can do it.
  • reload
    Options
    Well, I'm going to make room in the garage.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Make sure you check the rubber bits on a 17 yo car. Plus stuff like the timing chain guides and other plastic whatnots that are going to degrade on a car that sits most of the time(<4k miles/year). 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My buddy bought a babied 2000 740i sport.
    Love that gen body style.

He blacked out the all of the chrome and badges to give it an updated look, tinted the glass, painted the sport black skirting silver metallic to match the body, and put LED lamps by modding the headlamp unit.  Custom stitched stearing wheel and interior suede.  The orange instrumentation looks cool at night, like a cockpit.  He put the 5 star Beamer Al rims on it, bigger tires in the rear.

He does all of his own repairs.  But there are a few known issues that will wreck a party.  

I've rolled it a few times, fun car.

BMWs are not my cup of tea, but he made his super bada$$. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."