Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig are poopyheads

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
The folks at DP are having a sale right now, some of their combos are being sold with Free Shipping.  
Their shipping costs are one thing that kept me away (I do realize I can get some of their stuff now via Amazon Prime), yuge and bigly!  But I decided to get their "Pick Seven", with free shipping, for $70.  Then I saw a Sampler Pack of their "-ish" flavors, $6.65 + $4.94 shipping.  I tossed that in my "basket" too, figured it was thin, light, and they'd just toss it in the box with my 7 yuge/bigly jars of rub, and forego the shipping (since the big box was free).
Well, it was thin, light, and they just tossed it in the box with my 7 yuge/bigly jars of rub, in the big box that was free, but still charged me $4.94 for shipping.  
Poopyheads.  :angry:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    You know life is good when a $4.94 shipping charge when buying $70+ worth of rubs is so terrible you feel compelled to write about it on a forum.

Maybe it was sarcasm and I missed it.  I'm tired, two long days of work ahead, I'm off to bed.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've never understood DP's shipping charges being so high. Check out yardandpool dot com

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:
    I've never understood DP's shipping charges being so high. Check out yardandpool dot com
    I like yard and pool, especially since I can stop by and avoid shipping.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Flat $6 for orders under $100. Free if over $100.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:
    Flat $6 for orders under $100. Free if over $100.
    Yep. Just a short detour from one of our offices, so when I'm in the area, I stop by if I'm in need of something.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I know it's real popular with the old heads here. But I've not found a single DP rub that blows me away. I really like raising the steaks... on chicken of all things. But outside of that the flavors are too one-off for me.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Gawd I hope that here are no clumps in it. :s

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    They're in the process of moving to a new facility....those combo boxes with free shipping are most likely at the old place, and the extra one you picked was at the new place.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    First world problem.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    So the problem is they said "shipping is $4.94" and then they charged you "$4.94".

I understand the, hey toss it in my box, but that is a cool bonus if they do, not a get upset if they don't situation.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I know it's real popular with the old heads here. But I've not found a single DP rub that blows me away. I really like raising the steaks... on chicken of all things. But outside of that the flavors are too one-off for me.
    That's the whole point. Everyone makes a good plain ole BBQ rub. It's something special to elaborate into various flavor profiles that are out of the regular rib or pork butt rub. Not that a good bbq rub is a bad thing. I love them for doing that as well as others like John Henry etc. for getting us out of the mundane. 
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    edited February 2017
    When you called/email them to ask them why they charged shipping, what did they say?

Or is it easier to write a paragraph worth of ranting, than it is to pick up the phone and call them? (or open your email and shoot them a note)

ETA: I'll help - (703) 273-3580. 10AM to 5PM EST. Or click here for email.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • pgprescott
    ToTheMax said:
    When you called/email them to ask them why they charged shipping, what did they say?

Or is it easier to write a paragraph worth of ranting, than it is to pick up the phone and call them? (or open your email and shoot them a note)

Not exactly a rant. He's in the wrong and knows it. He was just hoping for a free bee I think???? 
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    edited February 2017
    ToTheMax said:

Not exactly a rant. He's in the wrong and knows it. He was just hoping for a free bee I think???? 
    He's in the wrong for posting the thread, sure. 

But he's not in the wrong with his request. They offered free shipping, they're going to use a box anyways, they can either comp him the shipping costs for the sampler packs, or at least reduce the cost to ship. All of which could have been taken care of with a simple phone call.

:i_dunno:
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • pgprescott
    ToTheMax said:
    ToTheMax said:

But he's not in the wrong with his request. They offered free shipping, they're going to use a box anyways, they can either comp him the shipping costs for the sampler packs, or at least reduce the cost to ship. All of which could have been taken care of with a simple phone call.

"Then I saw a Sampler Pack of their "-ish" flavors, $6.65 + $4.94 shipping"

I dunno either????? 

If I clicked on that I would fully expect to pay the 4.95. I just don't get some things I guess. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    …I still remember when free samples were tossed in with an order from Dizzy :)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    yljkt said:
    $4.94 started this? 
    Easy for you to say Mr. Moneybags. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    ToTheMax said:
    ToTheMax said:

I dunno either????? 

If I clicked on that I would fully expect to pay the 4.95. I just don't get some things I guess. 
    Sure, if I went to their website and only ordered the sampler pack I would fully expect to pay the $4.94 shipping charge.

In @Botch case they sent it in the same box that required no additional shipping charge. I get the automaton aspect of whoever handled the transaction just grabbing the items off the shelf and plopping them into the same box and not having the awareness of "Hey, I'm dropping this little package into a box that we offered free shipping for already maybe I should go the extra step and comp the customer the separate $4.94 shipping charge for this little package of spice."

That's why I suggested that he email them and point that out and see if they would go "Yeah...that does seem kind of silly to charge a shipping fee let me refund that $4.94" or if they say "Didn't you read the sign ($4.94 Shipping) Sonny?".

Would be interesting to see which route Dizzy Pig would take. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• (INSERT STRONG OPINION ABOUT $5)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• pgprescott
    HeavyG said:
    ToTheMax said:
    ToTheMax said:

I dunno either????? 

Sure, if I went to their website and only ordered the sampler pack I would fully expect to pay the $4.94 shipping charge.

In @Botch case they sent it in the same box that required no additional shipping charge. I get the automaton aspect of whoever handled the transaction just grabbing the items off the shelf and plopping them into the same box and not having the awareness of "Hey, I'm dropping this little package into a box that we offered free shipping for already maybe I should go the extra step and comp the customer the separate $4.94 shipping charge for this little package of spice."

That's why I suggested that he email them and point that out and see if they would go "Yeah...that does seem kind of silly to charge a shipping fee let me refund that $4.94" or if they say "Didn't you read the sign ($4.94 Shipping) Sonny?".

Would be interesting to see which route Dizzy Pig would take. :)
    Your looking at it all wrong. First, they are eating the shipping cause they're moving. It's not like the shipping is actually free. Second, like mentioned earlier, it might not have been at the same facility and been a real pain to put together. Lastly, are you arguing they misled someone? Good grief! They would take the high road then they would talk about what a douche you are. 
  • I know it's real popular with the old heads here. But I've not found a single DP rub that blows me away. I really like raising the steaks... on chicken of all things. But outside of that the flavors are too one-off for me.
    I've purchased and made plenty of rubs, Red Eye Express is fantastic. Really unique and good on many things. Have it on some chicken as we speak.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • I wish you would watch your language. This is a family forum.
    I see what you did there. And I like it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    What is this Dizzy Pig you speak of?  Perhaps before slaughter Nola parades the Piggy around The French Quarter getting a good buzz?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I've gotten free samples, Dizzy Pig pins and stickers, and Dizzy Pig hats free on orders I've placed in the past. Shipping might be high if ordering one bottle but I usually order 4 or more at a time which makes it quit reasonable.

Their 'ish rubs are all fantastic and lately, every time I visit their site they have something new to try out. DP is basically all I have in my rub rack. 

I consider them one of my favorite companies to deal with. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    We should start a "go fund me" page and raise $5 so that this is less devastating. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.