Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini or Minimax ?

Options
I was looking to give my LBGE a little brother . I planned on buying a MInimax , but my dealer has a Mini that was used as demo once that he will sell for $300 .   any thoughts ?
Grand Rapids , Mi
LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    How many you cooking for?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think 250 is a better price for that Demo Mini unless it includes the new carry handle stand.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    cooking for either 2 or 4  . depends if our boys decide to be home for supper .  Looking to take it with us camping otherwise
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I have a mini max and I bring it camping on the big trips. For just weekend or 3 day trips I dont bring it, too heavy. Anything longer I will bring it. Im thinking about going with a blackstone for camping.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I bought my Mini New for 300. Go mini but offer him 250
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • WeberWho
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I bought a new mini off Craigslist for $100. To be completely honest, I wouldn't pay anymore than $100 for one. It's a fun little grill but way overpriced in my opinion. Again just my opinion. I'd look at a MiniMax. Just for the size alone. If you look at a MiniMax don't rule out a small. The small works like it's bigger siblings. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Mini-max has much more versatility then the Mini - I have both and bought both used. Mini is great for travel and searing - but only a few hot dogs or one steak at a time. Mini-max can do all off that and indirect.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    thx for the feedback . I think the minimax is the way to go  - for me
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I would get MM more real estate that mini.  That said I have both mini and small (same cooking area of the small) and 90% of our cooks (just for the two of us is on the small).  We use the mini a lot for searing, hamburgers or quick last minute cooks.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use my mini more than any of my eggs.  There's 2 of us so it's perfect for 2 steaks, chicken breast, sausages or chops.  I've fed 6 people of the mini once at the beach but I had to stage the cooks.  I love my mini. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You should look at a Kamado Joe Jr before you make your decision. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I like my mini. I can fit 6 bratwurst or 4 chicken breasts on at a time. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm in the camp which loves my Small which actually has the same grill area as a Maxi Mini. I too love my Mini for travel and quick small meals for the 2 of us. I still think it was a shame that BGE corporate didn't come up with a different name for the M/M since as time goes by there will always be confusion causing people to ask for clarification...did you mean Mini and Maxi-Mini? You'll never guess why I have to ask that question more often than most people!  =)=)=)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Weber Smokey Joe or Weber Jumbo Joe if you want to take it camping. For at home use, go with a Small.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    Options
    DMW said:
    Weber Smokey Joe or Weber Jumbo Joe if you want to take it camping. For at home use, go with a Small.
    +100

Minnesota
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I paid $432 for my mini, paid for itself many times over ... pay what you think it's worth.... we all have a threshold. 
    Seattle, WA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Either one!  Both have a place.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If I had to get rid of 3 Eggs tomorrow the Mini would be my keeper.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    DMW said:
    +100
    If we're throwing Webers into the mix, take a peek at the charcoal Go Anywhere . Great little grill that gives you great indirect options too, since it's rectangular. Very compact and easy to pack up for camping. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mickey said:
    If I had to get rid of 3 Eggs tomorrow the Mini would be my keeper.  
    Proof!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    Lots of good thoughts. One more question tho -  if a minimax and a small have the same amount of cooking area , what is the difference between the two ?
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    DMW said:

+101
    Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kingsmoke said:
    Lots of good thoughts. One more question tho -  if a minimax and a small have the same amount of cooking area , what is the difference between the two ?
    @kingsmoke the mini-max is shorter than the small. It is basically a small egg with the bottom 1/3 cut off and the firebox and ring are much shorter to allow them to fit. The small will hold more charcoal and has more room vertically for food because the cooking grid sit lower in the egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I own a MM, and take it camping and tailgating. We love it. It has a tremendous versatility, and it, to me, is not that heavy to move around. The fire box is fine for the amount of lump to cook with, I can easily do 12 hours in a low and slow or higher temps with no problem. Cooks for 4 or less, with no issues that I am aware of. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • WeberWho
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kingsmoke said:
    The small is set up like it's bigger siblings. The grid is further away from the firebox. It doesn't sit right over the lump like it does the mini and minimax. The small isn't that much heavier than the minimax. I've brought my small camping with me in the past. I'm taking it up north to a fest this weekend. I'm not bashing the minimax but that extra height vertically is the worth the weight of gold for me. It's my favorite egg between my wife and I. 

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    250 would be fair on the Demo Mini or 300 with the new Carrier. 
    I couldn't pass up the deal on my MM & use it frequently. I have 0 interest at this time on a Mini....but, minds do change over the years :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @kingsmoke Whichever one you choose, don't forget to get a Woo from Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store. It will make cooking on either a better experience.

I have both a mini and a minmax. And if I could only have one, the Mini would be my choice.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @kingsmoke Whichever one you choose, don't forget to get a Woo from Tom at The Ceramic Grill Store. It will make cooking on either a better experience.

I have both a mini and a minmax. And if I could only have one, the Mini would be my choice.

Pretty cute little grilling buddy there! BTW UPS says they are delivering my Egg Carten from you tomorrow! Thanks again, buddy!

Question for you about your wooden top - do you put anything under them when you use them?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the input. Looks like it comes down to personal preference and the intended use. 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    i have an XL and just addedd the MM.  you are correct, it comes down to personal preference.  I love my MM and dont know how I survived without it.  But my XL is perfect too.  My advice... buy them both and then you wont have to choose!! =)
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina