Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is an acceptable range of temperature fluctuation?

Options
I've noticed on my first few cooks that while the temperature looks like its staying stable for 45 minutes, it can then increase by 10 degrees - not sure why maybe because of the wind conditions?  Suppose I am targeting 225.  What would be an aceptable range in which I shouldnt bother trying to adjust (I guess this is also where I would set my max and min temp alarms on my remote) given the natural fluctuations in the Egg's temperature?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for cooks under 7 hours it usually holds plus minus 10, for overnighters i like my sleep and set it for 235...low alarm around 180, high alarm around 270...then compensate with the dome temp accordingly in the morning =) doing this with 7 pound pork butts and i can usually hit it done at the 14 hour mark with just one dome compensation in the morning either up or down.  250 dome seems to be easier to hold if your new to egging and you will not notice a difference from 225 dome temp in the cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nick50
    nick50 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks - that makes good sense.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    At low temperatures my XL takes a long time to settle at a stable temperature - it looks stable after 1 hour but will creep up a bit over the next couple of hours.  I got better stability keeping the fire small, lighting one spot rather than 3 spaced out.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I pretty do what @fishlessman does and an overnight cook my XL can drop 30 degrees when it is cold, but when it is warm it is a little more stable.  I don't usually worry about 10 degrees.  I have found since I got my SmokeWare cap it is easier to get my XL to temp and stabilized faster.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    Don't sweat the small stuff. 10 degrees is nothing. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Extremely good ovens will routinely fluctuate 50 degrees as they cycle on and off.
  • SOUTHERNLINKSBBQ
    Options
    It really depends on what your cooking. Pork butts are very forgiving but beef is not. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eoin said:
    At low temperatures my XL takes a long time to settle at a stable temperature - it looks stable after 1 hour but will creep up a bit over the next couple of hours.  I got better stability keeping the fire small, lighting one spot rather than 3 spaced out.
    That is exactly how my large behaves. It seems locked in but it will creep up. I have actually used this for a "semi-turbo" cook for butts. It will start out at about 225-250 but by the end of the cook creep up to 300-325ish.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Egg's ceramics are a heat sink. It can take longer than 45 min. for the ceramic to heat up and start re-radiating the heat it has absorbed. Once heated, the Egg will take a couple of hours to cool down if the fire is out.

Also, for long term cooks, the meat/food is slowly loosing water, As the inside of the Egg gets drier, the remaining dry air will become hotter. Its not unusual during long cooks for the temp to slowly creep up.

If the temp is coming down, particularly if you started at 225, the fire might be dying out. There's a chance that the food is sweating out lots of water, but it is a good idea to bump the vents open a little more if you find that happening.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If I'm within 20 degrees or so, I don't sweat it. My goal is the meat's target IT, so 20 degrees either way won't make much of a difference besides a little bit of time.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Read @gdenby above- If on an over-nighter I will fire up the BGE a good 2+ hours before landing the protein with the goal of at least a solid hour of no vent movements ( no controller here) somewhere around 240-260*F.  Toss it on and give it a look (at the 4 our or so mark- I am old) and then see where I am in the AM.  
    Go from there- Patience is the watchword for L&S cooks.  Above all, have fun.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    If you only get a 10º change, claim victory.  I wouldn't worry about anything increase less than 20º. Dropping temps get my attention sooner.

When you say stable for 45 minutes, do you mean 45 minutes before putting the meat in the egg or 45 minutes of cooking? What size egg? Holding 225º can be tricky on some eggs - a lot of people think large eggs are more stable at 240º and above.  

Wind might play a role.  Other environmental conditions can change during a cook that impact the heat balance - temp, wind, solar radiation.  Don't know where you are, but for me down here in lower latitudes, solar radiation changes from night to mid day are good for at least a 20º swing in temps (I never have let it go without vent adjustments so I don't know how much it would increase the temp).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    People assume that because they set their oven at 350 that it sits exactly there, ovens fluctuate in temperature also. I would not be really concerned with 20 degree swings.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'e had some larger swings after opening the top. But I don't sweat it as basically it only affects the total cooking time. I've finally learned to trust the egg and my controller. I messed things up too much by trying to correct the vent openings to raise or lower the temp. Let the egg do the work.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
     From what I have encountered in past cooks, it made no difference that the  cooker went from 275 to 225. In the inverse, it made no matter the cooker went from 225 to >300 degrees. 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga