Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm sorry... I'll admit it.... I was wrong.

13»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Psst ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    The real heart of the matter ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    @SkySaw  Actually I found the recommended weedburners at this one-man shop near where you work,   $39.99 for the big one with three nozzles, runs off 20lb cylinder, and $29.99 for the small one that runs off bottle.  You may want to check them out during lunch or after work?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-plumbing-sink-toilet-shower/city-of-toronto/brand-new-propane-torch-w-2-extra-nozzle/358628954?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
    If you still want the mapp it's really easy to pricematch, just send the HD url to Lowes CSR during the chat, you can pick up in 1-2 hours at any location that has stock.

edit: what happened to your 'cane'?  sounds like the $29 unit above.

Thanks a lot for finding this! You are right, this place is 5 minutes from my work. The torch looks like a great deal and it really tempted me, but I don't think I want to buy and lug around a 20lb propane cylinder just for starting my BBQ. I would much rather deal with the smaller propane bottles.

The last cane-style burner that I had became dangerously unpredictable; I think the o-ring that seals the cane to the propane bottle must have become brittle after using it for about a year. It has made me a bit shy of the burners. Even though the burners are faster than the map-pro heads, I'm going to try your previous suggestion.

Thanks again for your really helpful recommendations!
  • Was always an electric starter, but when my trusty five year old Broil King branded starter finally burned out, I could not find an electric that would last. Using a torch does have some sparks and ember explosions that can be worrisome, but found the solution to be some second burn lump on the top, no sparks and catches quickly. 
    @fishlessman - could it be the torch you used? Bernzomatic is just fine, use it for copper pipe repair all the time, in fact Bernzomatic makes an extention hose that keeps the gas cylinder upright so you can use the torch in any position. 
    Second burn lump is the key trick, reduces the sparks by 95% in my experience, you also don't have to go full throttle on the Weed Burner (what I use). 
    BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • SkySaw said:
    @SkySaw  Actually I found the recommended weedburners at this one-man shop near where you work,   $39.99 for the big one with three nozzles, runs off 20lb cylinder, and $29.99 for the small one that runs off bottle.  You may want to check them out during lunch or after work?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-plumbing-sink-toilet-shower/city-of-toronto/brand-new-propane-torch-w-2-extra-nozzle/358628954?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
    If you still want the mapp it's really easy to pricematch, just send the HD url to Lowes CSR during the chat, you can pick up in 1-2 hours at any location that has stock.

edit: what happened to your 'cane'?  sounds like the $29 unit above.

Thanks a lot for finding this! You are right, this place is 5 minutes from my work. The torch looks like a great deal and it really tempted me, but I don't think I want to buy and lug around a 20lb propane cylinder just for starting my BBQ. I would much rather deal with the smaller propane bottles.

The last cane-style burner that I had became dangerously unpredictable; I think the o-ring that seals the cane to the propane bottle must have become brittle after using it for about a year. It has made me a bit shy of the burners. Even though the burners are faster than the map-pro heads, I'm going to try your previous suggestion.

Thanks again for your really helpful recommendations!

SkySaw,

You can get the Benzomatic weed torch at Lowes here in Canada.  It is what I use and have been doing so for several years with no issue.

https://www.lowes.ca/torch-kits/bernzomatic-jt850-lawn-and-garden-torch_g2218659.html?searchTerm=benzomatic

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have been using starter sticks for the last 3 years, but I think it is time to get one of these.  I may be stopping by Lowes this weekend for one.  They seem to have the one I like the best for the money.   It would be nice to get my XL going in less time if possible during the week.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    the harbor freight one without the click sparker lasted me maybe 12 years, it might still wok but i have not tried it, it was stored in the rain and snow, used to be advertised as 500,000 btus

Model # 46655

Internet #206728255

Black Rock 3000 Degrees F Propane Torch

Black Rock

3,000 Degrees F Propane Torch

$18.72 /each
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it