Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Molly's Pizza Dough!!

Options
Molly (@cookn biker), don't know if you still look in here from time to time, but I wanted to THANK YOU anyway!!! I finally tried the pizza dough recipe that you and Enrico posted almost two years ago. Time flies!

I've tried a number of recipes and this is certainly my favorite so far. I cut it in half and as you suggested, reduced the flour for a softer dough. 72% hydration. Next time, I'll try it the other way... and there WILL be a next time!

Here's the halved recipe (and a couple of minor mods).

450 g AP flour
4 g sugar
10.5 g fine sea salt (I cut it a bit to 1 1/2 tsp (9 g)
2 g dried yeast (.64 tsp). I used about 2/3 tsp SAF instant
307 g water
42 g evoo

I mixed the dough with a spoon only, kneaded by hand about 5 minutes, covered and let it rise at room temp until more than double. Divided into 4 dough balls and refrigerated overnight in individual proofing containers. Removed one from the fridge about two hours in advance.

I wanted to try the dough, not toppings, so I used only evoo, s&p and added some fresh thyme after the bake. A delicious  flatbread that @Zippylip posted a couple of months ago. That looked so naked that I decided to add a small slice of prosciutto to half the pie. =)

You baked at 650°, I went just to 550° on a baking steel in my oven. After only 2-3 minutes, I changed to the broiler to brown the top a bit more. I LOVE the steel!!! Never saw such huge bubbles though.

Delicious! Can't wait to try other topping combos. Thanks again!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That does look very good.  I'll be trying this once I'm through my current stock.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Wow. Going to make a batch of this dough when I get home tonight!
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    That looks awesome. How did you form the base, rolling, hand tossing, push-down?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, guys. The surprising thing to me is that the recipe calls for plain old AP flour. Not Bread, not 00 and not a blend. Easy to find and cheap. Honestly, this is the best dough I've made. I didn't even use a mixer, just a bowl, a wooden spoon, a bread board and my bare hands. Maybe I'm just getting better at it or maybe it's because the recipe is from Enrico - an Italian who is actually from Italy. =)

I have three more dough balls in the fridge. Hmmm, what's for supper? 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've never made my own dough, so, naturally, I got questions.

How long did it take to raise?

How long does it keep in the fridge?  Can you freeze it?

While I would eat pizza several nights in a row, my wife aint gonna go for that.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Carolina Q
    Options

That looks awesome. How did you form the base, rolling, hand tossing, push-down?
    Thanks. For me, it's combination of pushing it out with my finger tips, slapping it back and forth from one hand to the other as I rotate it and then stretching it out with the backs of my hands. I never use a rolling pin.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    dgaddis1 said:
    I've never made my own dough, so, naturally, I got questions.

How long did it take to raise?

How long does it keep in the fridge?  Can you freeze it?

While I would eat pizza several nights in a row, my wife aint gonna go for that.
    I really didn't time the rise. 2-3 hours maybe? No more than that. I went to the grocery store after it had been sitting there for a while. When I got back, it was well past the standard "doubled in size".

I find that it gets better as it ages in the fridge. Just made dough doesn't make great pizza. One day old is better, Two days better still, keeps improving up to about four days. Then it starts to go downhill.

You can freeze it, though I never do.

There are a ton of how to videos on youtube.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    looks terrific! Thanks for the updated recipe. I'll be trying this for sure.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    wow - that looks amazing!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I like it.  Edumacate me please.  Is a proofing container something sealed or vented?  

Tupperware with lid or put a towel over a bowl?

Thanks.  I am trying this.  I think i need a scale to weight stuff.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Watching them cook together in person is an experience. Great people. I'd be happy if I could cook 1/4th as good as them some day.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @kl8ton, they make "official" proofing trays that hold multiple dough balls, but I just use these (one per dough ball). 6 cup (48 oz) size. Any grocery store will have 'em. They're stackable.

The real ones look like this...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That looks fantastic !!!!  Will have to try that one!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Watching them cook together in person is an experience. Great people. I'd be happy if I could cook 1/4th as good as them some day.  
    Most of us would, I imagine! I miss Molly's posts.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Most of us would, I imagine! I miss Molly's posts.
    Got to spend some time with both Molly and Enrico at the Frozen Fest a couple years ago.
    Fantastic amount a talent along with ambition and passion for cooking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Gorgeous looking pie, thanks for sharing and linking to Molly's post.  I never made my dough until recently after getting the uuni 2s.  Done some reading and more or less settled on recipe/process very similar to Molly's.  I like to cold ferment 2-3 days, also add some wheat gluten to AP to 'fortify' it.  Just started experimenting a new dough with 'autolyse' step added. Can't believe I waited all these years  :) 
    canuckland
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I'll ask it here too. Do you do the second rise after the refrigerated dough comes to room temp? Molly says, "We rise the dough two times and in the middle we mature the dough in the fridge for over 12 hours." Or she might mean they rise it twice, and refrigerate it before cooking it.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I'll ask it here too. Do you do the second rise after the refrigerated dough comes to room temp? Molly says, "We rise the dough two times and in the middle we mature the dough in the fridge for over 12 hours." Or she might mean they rise it twice, and refrigerate it before cooking it.
    Ok, I'll answer here too. :) Beats me. I did just what I said... let it rise at room temp until more than double (Rise 1). Divided into 4 dough balls and refrigerated overnight in individual proofing containers (Mature the dough in the fridge). Removed one from the fridge about two hours in advance (Rise 2 ??). If that's not what she meant/did, oh well.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    @Carolina Q that looks awesome and easy for a dough recipe! Looks like a great place for a novice bread maker to start. Hopefully I can try it this weekend. One question for you, about how big of pies can you make? They look a little small but hard to judge from pics. But with as easy as it looks and the quick cook time multiple pies shouldn't be an issue to turn out. 

Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to get into bread making and DIY pizza crust but most of what I've seen is too scary lol! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    maso said:
    @Carolina Q that looks awesome and easy for a dough recipe! Looks like a great place for a novice bread maker to start. Hopefully I can try it this weekend. One question for you, about how big of pies can you make? They look a little small but hard to judge from pics. But with as easy as it looks and the quick cook time multiple pies shouldn't be an issue to turn out. 

Thanks for sharing! I've been wanting to get into bread making and DIY pizza crust but most of what I've seen is too scary lol! 
    @maso, Thanks. That pie was about 10". I made 4 dough balls from the recipe posted. The crust for this one was stretched quite thin. For larger pies, just make fewer balls. Really, the only size limit is the size of your peel and pizza stone.

To shape the dough balls...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA

Good luck!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• clemsontyger97
    Options

Thanks. For me, it's combination of pushing it out with my finger tips, slapping it back and forth from one hand to the other as I rotate it and then stretching it out with the backs of my hands. I never use a rolling pin.
    @Carolina Q  For a moment I wasn't sure if we were still talking about pizza dough.  :pensive:
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the video and the info, @Carolina Q
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @Carolina Q I know you don't need to use 00, but would you suspect it would be better if you did?  I feel like it would be hard to go back to regular flour after tasting 00.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Carolina Q
    edited February 2017
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @Carolina Q I know you don't need to use 00, but would you suspect it would be better if you did?  I feel like it would be hard to go back to regular flour after tasting 00.  
    I don't know. I am FAR from being an experienced baker. VERY far. If the recipe calls for AP, I use AP. I don't think I've ever tried the same recipe twice, using different flours to compare. I do have and use 00 flour. Frankly, I haven't noticed anything special about it except the feel of it as I shape it. It is extremely soft and tender. The crust I had yesterday was better than any 00 crust I have made. Not better than any I have ever HAD, mind you, but still quite good, imo. 

Jeff Varasano has done a great deal of comparing, and talks about it (and every other bit of pizza-related minutiae) to the point of exhaustion! If you have a few days to read his tome. For a taste, go here and search for 00.

Or, just give 00 a try and see what you think. I may do just that next time. If you do, let me know how it goes.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited February 2017
    Options

You baked at 650°, I went just to 550° on a baking steel in my oven. After only 2-3 minutes, I changed to the broiler to brown the top a bit more. I LOVE the steel!!! Never saw such huge bubbles though.

Q,

We're all trying to ignore your first sentence, but the last one caught my eye.

You might be interested in a 'dough docker' for the future. I regret buying it, but you pizza guru's might not. Of course, you can also tap a fork all over it, but who wants to do that?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, Bob. Doubt I'll go with the docker though. Don't usually have that problem. I suspect I would regret buying as well.

First sentence is fine. =) Did pizza in the egg for the first 3 years or so. Haven't done one there for nearly four years now. For me, oven pies are quicker, easier and just as good. Especially with the steel.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for posting this . Have some friends coming in to visit next month, so may give this a try.

It sounds like the 2hrs after pulling it from the fridge would count as proofing (if that helps clarify the original recipe) but who cares what it's called when the end result looks that good :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for posting this . Have some friends coming in to visit next month, so may give this a try.

It sounds like the 2hrs after pulling it from the fridge would count as proofing (if that helps clarify the original recipe) but who cares what it's called when the end result looks that good :)
    Hope you're planning to try it in advance... never try a new recipe on guests. =)

As for clarification, that's good enough for me.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good point! I'll try it out BEFORE my visitors land :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    caliking said:
    Good point! I'll try it out BEFORE my visitors land :)
    @Carolina_Q is well known to be very deceptive  :o
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga