Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian bacon question?

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
First time making this - here's the recipe I am using: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/maple-cured-canadian-bacon-grilled-recipe.html

I put a 5.4 lb of pork loin into a brine 5 days ago. The recipe said to cure for 3-5 days and remove, rinse/soak, and smoke. It was a pretty thin loin and I cut it in half and submerged both pieces in the brine in a stainless steel pot. Today when I took out the two pieces, one has firmed up just like when I have cured belly. The other one is still quite soft and doesn't have the "cured" firmness that I expected. I used 2 1/2 teaspoons of Prague Powder #1 in the cure. Any particular reason this would be the case? If it's not firmed up, is the cure not complete? I sliced the softer piece in half and it doesn't look any different than the firm one.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Are you hot smoking them?  If so I would go ahead with both. I've made it a few times (different recipe) and I've had it firm and soft although I don't know why you would have such a difference this time. 

If you smoke to 140+ I expect it would be fine either way. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Yes - hot smoking to 140 is the plan. Thanks for the help. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Did you remove the silverskin?  Does it still have a layer of fat?

Options
    I did remove the silver skin. It was still a whole loin when I prepped it. I ended up taking the two firm ones out of the brine this morning. I put the softer ones back in the brine for another 8 hours. They seem to be a little firmer now so I'm soaking and will smoke tonight. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
     Did you rotate them while they were brining to make sure each was exposed to the solution the same?

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• minniemoh
    Options
    @jtcBoynton- I did rotate and move them around. I have them smoking right now. I'll post some finished pics when they reach 140.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Interested to see how they turn out. 

Too late now, but you can slice off a bit of each and fry it up to see how the cure is going, before the smoke is applied. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Well, here's a picture of the firm ones. The other two are still on the egg. Tasted like pretty decent Canadian bacon to me. We'll see how the softer pieces turn out later. 

eggAddict from MN!