Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home BBQ projects

Options
seems like there are some crafty people here. What kind of diy projects have people tried? I can't wait to see how @westernbbq home charcoal plant comes out. I have made my own egg table from reclaimed fir bridge decking ( I have since raised the egg so there is an air gap over the cement block)

Saved a barrel grill from going to the dump

And made my own live edge cutting board from wood we cut on a friend's sawmill. 

Let's see some cool projects people have thought up

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    That barrel grill cleaned up real well. Good job.

legs on the table weren't even?

No projects yet but planing to build a table extension this spring sometime.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bigbadben
    Options
    I am currently converting a gyuto with a western style handle to an eastern style.   Then I will make several wa handles.  Exotic hardwood is on order. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Love that cutting board.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger I broke one of the cheap casters!!! I have since replaced all four with ones twice as big.
    @bigbadben I love costume handle knifes can't wait to see that. I bought myself a knife for Christmas with a Koa handle. 
    @bud812 I just made another one for the friend with the mill. I thought it came out really well. Used it 15 times probably and it has twisted one bit.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Current DIY project I'm proud of

Backsplash by the window into the corner and two windows will get 100 year old corn crib wood out Geneseo, with Depp and matte polyurethane treatment.  

Just ordered the stove to corner backsplash, icy white gloss 3x6 subway tiles, and for the burgundy around the window.  A lot of the white tiles in stores were too creamy, antique white.  Two lights will be fished in from the old garbage disposal outlet, above sink in that dead space.  This countremporary style is really fusing quite nicely.  The wood, thinset, unsanded grout, sealer, was free. Whole project, DIY with a buddy, came in just shy of 2Gs.

Next up, is truck stereo and speakers.  Pioneer 4x6s all around, and Alpine cde-hd149bt head unit.  Parts are all here, waiting on weather, maybe early Spring.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Options
    Sam Adams egg table.

Magic concrete carpet for the magic box.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    seems like there are some crafty people here. What kind of diy projects have people tried? I can't wait to see how @westernbbq home charcoal plant comes out. I have made my own egg table from reclaimed fir bridge decking ( I have since raised the egg so there is an air gap over the cement block)

Saved a barrel grill from going to the dump

And made my own live edge cutting board from wood we cut on a friend's sawmill. 

Let's see some cool projects people have thought up
    That's some cold blooded murder weapons you have there ...........
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    I love "barnwood " type projects!! Kitchen looks great @Focker . Did a whole wall in a buddies man cave out of recycled barn wood and used metal roofing as a wainscoating. I'll try to dig up some pictures. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Built our deer camp from my grandfathers old tomato shed. Enclosed it with rough cut lumber and finished inside with roughcut cedar a friend sawed up on a portable mill. 

Little Rock, AR

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I am always amazed at the capabilities of the people here...i cant build squat and i certainly aint one for formatting and packaging nicely.   I just want to get things functional.u. +1 on that homemade smoker from basic junk @GregW....and all the refinishing old slabs of wood into essentially works of art.  I never had the patience, vision or creativity to do all the stuff you guys come up with.  Its sort of like when i played football, you want the guy carrying the ball brought down?  Im your man but i have to warn ya, it wont be pretty but it will be effective....

I have no finesse, building skills or vision.   I can copy a good idea and if i really get into something like pizza dough or charcoal retort kiln making, ill research these ideas to the nth degree and create a reliable, effective and duplicatable process every time.    I will also provide all of you guys whatever ive learned alomg the way so that perhaps you can avoid the stupid moves ive made and make it better....
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If y'all end up splitting some more of those cutting boards I claim dibs. We sold our last place where my dad and I had our shop so we are...waiting on us to move to Montana!!

(I have lived for 14 months with neighbors. I can see them. All of them. I have a fence less than 20 yards from another backdoor. This is my own personal hell. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    I love "barnwood " type projects!! Kitchen looks great @Focker . Did a whole wall in a buddies man cave out of recycled barn wood and used metal roofing as a wainscoating. I'll try to dig up some pictures. 
    Thanks bud.  I have a rough cut live edge slab of my grandpa's walnut that I would love to make a cutting board out of.  My dad would give it to me for this.  Was hoping you could pm me the details.  He used to own a sawmill and trucking company in Hillsdale, IL, so the wood we still have from his barn, is good stuff that he put aside.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Hntnhrd. Make sure you get an air gap under that egg, the heat transfer through the paver will ignite your table over time.

@Biggreenpharmacist. You have some fabulous trophies there, the drop tine is especially nice.  Congrats!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit it sucks trying to
    make a living here but damn fun trying!! @Focker don't know if I sent a DM or just posted to your profile page!! Lol
  • Focker
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit it sucks trying to
    make a living here but damn fun trying!! @Focker don't know if I sent a DM or just posted to your profile page!! Lol
    I'll hit you up soon.  Headin' over to dad's today to take a look at the walnut.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Last summers project. Didn't finish it until late September so we didn't have too much time with it before the snow fell. Looking forward to some relaxing and drinking those bourbon slushies from @YukonRon
    This is pretty nice, Is this a kit you bought or something you designed?  Does the cover do well with rain.  We get pretty good shade in the morning and late afternoon, but this would be great for afternoon or when it is lightly raining.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Its actually a little of both.

I am somewhat handy but to build this from bare lumber would never happen.

this was intended to be built on to concrete and epoxied into place. As you can see its on my deck that sits 6 ft above grade.

I was in talks with the maker of the kit they couldn't offer any suggestions to mount this to the deck. So I had to come up with the mounting brackets myself.

I used an adjustable 6x6 deck support bracket that would be normally mounted to a concrete pile. It has a large bolt and nut to adjust a sagging deck if needed, somewhat similar to a jack pole. I drilled through the deck, placed the bracked bolt through the deck, through an 2x6 cut to length in between the joists, put a steel plate below the 2x6, and then tightened it up with the nut. I also screwed the 2x6 on both sided through the joists.

I had to lag bolt the brackets to the posts so I now had the issue of the bolt heads sticking out farther that the coping. I had to router out each side of the trim, 4 bolts per post, then screw them all together making perfect corners.

When I posed my plans to the manufacturers engineer, he was very impressed and he wanted pics during and after the mounting was complete. He was going to offer this as a solution to others wanting to put it on a wood deck.

It was a lot of extra work to figure it out and plan, but its rock solid and doesn't move with the strongest of winds we face. Yes it came from a kit but it still took me a week to assemble and get mounted. This was a feat for me, and Im very proud of the finished product knowing its built by me and its safe.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @hondabbq
    I'm curious about the shade kit.
  • hondabbq
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @hondabbq

Its on to rails on either side of the pergola. It has a 2" drop from one side to the other and I set it up to drain to the far side of the deck so any water build up will drain away. It can be fully retracted or extended with a rope tied to the canopy ends with attach points on either end girders. It can be retracted to either side.

This one was called "The Breeze with retractable canopy" It was on sale at Costco last summer for $1000 off. It was way cheaper through Costco than direct. At the time it was full price on the site, but its on sale now. It was still cheaper through Costco yet by $1800 from the current price.

Its from a company out of BC called Outdoor Living Today. website of the same name.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    @hondabbq

Its on to rails on either side of the pergola. It has a 2" drop from one side to the other and I set it up to drain to the far side of the deck so any water build up will drain away. It can be fully retracted or extended with a rope tied to the canopy ends with attach points on either end girders. It can be retracted to either side.

Its from a company out of BC called Outdoor Living Today. website of the same name.

So, it can be used in light rain and wind? I assume not in heavy rain and wind?

• hondabbq
    edited February 2017
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    @hondabbq

So, it can be used in light rain and wind? I assume not in heavy rain and wind?

We mostly wanted it for shade, It gets hot on our back deck and makes it unbearable to enjoy the deck. Now we can sit out and relax and not have the sun beating down on us.

We have sat under it in a light rain with no issues. You have to be conscious of the rain accumulation and not sit on that side as it ill drop on you if the furniture is under the edge of the canopy. Kind of useless for a  side rain as well depending on the wind speed.

Straight down rain its all good. We retract it every night  we go inside and it has held up well so far. Again, we only had it up for about 4 weeks before I had to remove the canopy. It says you don't have to but I did and I will every spring and fall.
    I

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sam Adams egg table.

Tailgating is the best. Love the SA nest.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sam Adams egg table.

Tailgating is the best. Love the SA nest.
    Thanks bud, it was a fun winter putz project.  Then I had to buy a truck to match. lol

Makes towing the small so much easier, egg never leaves the truck.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Built our deer camp from my grandfathers old tomato shed. Enclosed it with rough cut lumber and finished inside with roughcut cedar a friend sawed up on a portable mill. 

My favorite Show. He's a nut!
    Living life to the fullest in Savannah Georgia
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    My buddies man cave project I built for him last summer first picture is what was there. Then new building then inside wall with outside of old building. He lives in a flood plan so we had to build to existing footprint.