Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Cap

Options
I've been reading about these and finally found some at Costco. Any special way I should cook them or should I just treat them like an other steak? Thanks in advance for any help. 
Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    No need to cook, just eat raw.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Wow those are beauties!!! I cooked these a week or two ago. I reversed seared. Pulled at 130 and thru directly on the coals to sear caveman style. Best steak I have ever had!!!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have cooked them before. While it is a excellent quality cut, I have found that I don't like the pinwheel. For me, I find the surface crust to interior ratio is off. This is probably due to the pinwheel unrolling when I cut the steak.
    I have seen other cap steaks in the flat unrolled form. I have never cooked one like that, but to me it would yield a better crust to interior ratio.

I have considered unrolling the pinwheel and putting the meat on a skewer, but I haven't had the chance to try it.

Please post the results of your cook. I'm anxious to hear you opinion.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    i unroll and grill hot and fast. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I go cast iron skillet pinwheel or unrolled...whatever floats your boat. 
    I rolled these into pinwheels and trussed. As I plate I carefully remove the string. Easy peasy. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • the_crease
    Options
    I go cast iron skillet pinwheel or unrolled...whatever floats your boat. 
    I rolled these into pinwheels and trussed. As I plate I carefully remove the string. Easy peasy. 

Damn that looks farking tasty 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Another vote for unrolled and hot and fast but your $$, your cook -just a great cut of beef so have at it and enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Lately, I've been doing these Sous Vide and happy with the results, Throw it into the bag with a piece of rosemary on each side and go 128-130 for 2 hours or so depending on how rare/medium rare you want it. Remove from bag and pat dry with paper towel. Sear it on screaming hot CI if the weather is bad or an open BGE with a good fire going if it's nice out. Melted butter applied with a rosemary brush as it's sears (be careful - I leave the lid open with bottom vent close and welding gloves) to ensure a bit more flavor on the crust. This takes about 2 minutes with several flips. Again, you have to be careful because it's just tied together and that string can go fast.
    South SLO County
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Glorious crust!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Davie755
    Options
    Looking good! I prefer them unrolled. 
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I thought the rolled them to be cooked that way. I peeled a 2 bone rib roast apart and saved the cap whole have to try it unrolled . This was my other time cooking them. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Here's worthwhile clip on how to butcher your own cap.  Even I have been successful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJH3qwIHeDc 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DialSquare
    DialSquare Posts: 34
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I did some of these last weekend. I divided my XL firebox in half and used Woo to lower a cast iron grate.
    Each pinwheel unrolled into two pieces. Used Raising the Steaks and Cow Lick, seared a couple minutes each side, finished away from heat. Best steak I ever cooked! 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Here's worthwhile clip on how to butcher your own cap.  Even I have been successful.

An excellent very informative video. Thanks for posting.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    if the butcher leaves the silver skin, it can get to be a hard chew in places.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options
    Was scared of over cooking so was a little rarer than I wanted but was excellent. Might try unrolling next time also. 
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig