Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed with a Blackstone purchase my Dad made !!

Options
Hey guys I know this isn't BGE related but my father was able to score a 36inch blackstone display and propane tank for $75.... it was a display model and has some wear and tear on it (hoping it is salvageable).  It has never been cooked on before but has some rust etc.... is anyone able to give advice on the best way to properly treat, season it?  Would you treat it the same as any new blackstone?  I have a 17 inch model that I seasoned and works great, just seeing if anyone can recommend any extra measures for this one... He is down in Florida and was all excited when he made this purchase so hoping I can get him some advice on how to get this up and running!! I have attached a few pics below, any help will be greatly appreciated !

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pops got one helluva deal!

That is so minimal, I would scrub with a little barkeeper's friend and water slurry, then dawn and water, clean, carry on with the seasoning process of grapeseed oil in a few thin layers.

A seasoning sesh alone may take care of that little bit of flash rust.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Agree with the above. Damage looks minimal. What a great score! 

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Great score!!  What Brandon said.  Other fats work too.  Bacon fat for example.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Hope your dad enjoys it!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Hard to tell from the photo how deeply pitted that may be but it may take a bit more than something like barkeepers friend to wear away that rust.

I frequently use pumice stones/bars to clean cast iron tables for jointers and table saws and the like.

They sell small ones to use for removing calluses from feet but you can buy bigger blocks intended for grills or tools:

https://smile.amazon.com/Elevate-Essentials-Pumice-Cleaning-Griddles/dp/B01LQE6WEQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1486845196&sr=8-7&keywords=pumice+block

Whatever is cheapest will work fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Screaming deal . Definitely fixable with any options above. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I think there is a u tube vid on blackstone's site on how to restore a griddle surface. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now that's a sweet deal!!

As mentioned above, Blackstone has videos about restoring and reseasoning  a rusted griddle. The one they did was in  much worse condition.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help, happy to hear that this is a minimal problem... now I am really jealous of his deal! 

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course